HMS Terror by Seems ok to me - FINISHED - OcCre - Scale 1:75

I am late to the terror party but I figured I’d add my build log to the pile and see what happens. Bulkheads went up easy and the deck was pleasing to build. I penciled in the caulking. The YouTube videos show some sanding after this but it just seemed to smear my pencil around so I aborted this plan. Sprayed with satin urethane. Then set out to label all the parts. One huge difference between ship and plastic models (at least for this one) is the “parts” list seems to be all the parts you need for each sub-assembly and not a straight list of parts in the kit. I seem to go back and forth between that list and the directions constantly. 

I also seem to have a brown E8 for whatever reason. Thanks I guess? 

83156000-7907-4CC1-AAD9-09029FA0BF37.jpeg

CC3BD0CC-8E2A-4E10-89A2-6E9F50A8FEC6.jpeg

FF5E7FF6-3B11-47E6-8771-B52EB08D5BC1.jpeg

0068748E-A49C-4CD2-B62F-9FB25DCE9BB6.jpeg

Hi,

The party just started so no you are not! :)

Really nice progress. I like your deck planking.

Some questions about your build:

1) What glue you used for deck planking?

2) Did you draw the lines for deck after glueing or did the sides before installing the planks?

3) Will you paint the model?

Wahka

I used good ol’ Tightbond 1.  It gives you a little time to move things around but grabs nicely. Easy water clean up unlike CA.  I penciled a few planks before laying them down but it just didn’t seem to show up enough to be worth the effort. Maybe next time I’ll use a graphite stick instead of a pencil. Painting - depends on how much I muck up the planking. I’d really like to keep it natural but we shall see. 

Still trying to see the AMC show I heard so much about, not available over here unfortunately. Saw some trailers on YT though, seemed intense 🙂

"Whatever does not kill you, only makes you stranger."

Current build: 

Finished builds:Calella by Occre - Greek Bireme by Amati HMS Terror by Occre - Frigate Diana by Occre

Trying out some stuff I use for my garden furniture later this week, reddish brown coloured stain. I'll let you know how I get on.

Current build: 

Finished builds:Calella by Occre - Greek Bireme by Amati HMS Terror by Occre - Frigate Diana by Occre

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Really nice for the first time.

I would suggest to sand it more so that 2nd planking would be smoother.

Also what I didnt do is checked how keels fit to hull. I suggest to do that and do some corrections with sanding if needed.

• 5 months later...

I agree with other terror builders that the directions have blind spots - that is putting it gently. I can just imagine the layout team - “how about just a bunch of square and rectangular pictures with no numbers....and  one picture of us just gently stroking the side of the ship with a brush...brilliant!”

image.jpg

On 9/12/2020 at 7:14 AM, Seems ok to me said:

Also, why make it longer if you just want me to cut it shorter?

image.jpg

Hi there, mind this is not an instruction to cut, but to drill a 1,5mm hole in order to fit the rudder beam. Just so you know...

Current build: 

I, like others it seems, am having trouble making chain plates out of the brass wire. Making each one even vaguely symmetrical is apparently beyond me and I have ordered some from Billling boats. While awaiting these, I moved onto starting the masts. Thanks to all who did this already as your photos have been incredibly helpful.  Using a Dremel or drill as a pseudo lathe has been great. 

500F6273-8D2D-4A0A-971A-199FD2949245.jpeg

2F48366F-03A9-4D01-8597-864100289ACF.jpeg

F75747E0-8F3A-4EB8-9D9C-9E4F429E2287.jpeg

On 9/28/2020 at 11:34 PM, Seems ok to me said:

The rigging pictures are a wash of red lines I haven’t even started to decipher. For my first major build, I may be in the “finish it and learn” category vs “historical accuracy”. Thanks for the head’s up. 

They can be an. absolute maze. the way I dealt with it was one step at a time, following the instructions (although not correct). Start with the shrouds first, then ratting them up, then the stays. By that time you'll have some experience with dealing with rope and you're good to take on the next step: rigging the yardarms.

I dreaded rigging, but I realised for me this was one of the most satisfying parts of the building process. You really see the ship growing from a rough model to something more realistic.

One thing I didn't tackle though were the sails, partly because I liked the look for Terror without them, partly because the rigging schemes didn't make sense. I'm getting the courage together to equip Diana with her sails, as this scheme seems to be a bit more logical (although more complex). But that's still a long way away.

Good luck roping her up 🙂

Current build: