Flying Jib Boom (why, when, where?)

AON

I just discovered yesterday that there is a flying jib boom.

It is not on many builds.

Steels lists it for the 74 gun ship, but I've not seen it on any builds except the 50 gun HMS Leopard (1790).

I've read an old post that states the flying jib boom and the jib boom are the same thing, and having seen it I know they are two different things.

The flying jib boom protrudes beyond the jib boom, secured to the head of the jib boom with an iron clamp

The heel of it rests against the bowsprit cap.  I've no idea how that end is secured.

I also have no idea if it is an optional boom extension, when it is added, or what determines it should be included.

Seemingly only if a flying jib sail is wanted to be rigged... seems to be logical.

Does anyone know more about this item: why, when, where used?

Thank you in advance.

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Some of the references to them being the same may be poorly worded references to when the jib and flying jib booms were made as one with a shoulder (akin to masts) used to define one from the other.  this was more common in Clippers and ships built during the transition from sail to steam.  HMCSS Victoria (1855) for example has such a combined 'pole' jib/flying jib.  Hope that clarifies on point of contention in your research?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Some ships had a single piece bowsprit that served as bowsprit and jib boom. These were typically later 19th century ships.

Before that some ships had a bowsprit with a thinner jib boom attached to the bowsprit and running through the bowsprit cap. The jib boom extended the reach of the bowsprit to allow more fore sail area. The fore stay and fore staysail attached to the end of the bowsprit and the fore jib stay and jib attached to the end of the jib boom. However, some ships also had the topgallant stay attached to the end of the jib boom and they flew a flying jib from this line.

A flying jib boom was attached to the jib boom on larger ships with taller masts to extend the bowsprit even farther. The fore royal stay attached to the end of the flying jib boom and the flying jib was flown from the fore royal stay. These ships typically had a flying jib, outer jib, inner jib and fore staysail for their foresheets.

The fore staysail was always the most aft of the foresheets. Some ships had only the additional jib. Some had the fore staysail, jib and flying jib. Others had the fore staysail, inner jib, outer jib and flying jib. All of these sails were not always flown - it depended upon the wind and how the ship was maneuvering.

The foresheets were most useful when tacking into the wind. They acted as airfoils to pull the ship forward, and all of these sheets were flown when heading into the wind. However, only one or two foresheets might be hoisted when the ship was turning downwind. The sails used wind power to turn the ships head around.

There was a lot of variability in these rigs, so you need to consult the sail plan for a particular ship to see what it carried.

All of these sails were collectively foresheets. When a ship was tacking into the wind, first to one side and the other, it zig-zagged along on an unsteady course. This is the basis for the term "foresheets to the wind" that is applied to drunken sailors who are staggering on their return to the ship. Lubbers who haven't a clue what they are talking about often say "four sheets to the wind," "three sheets to the wind" or some other such nonsense.

Edited by Dr PR

Good Morning Alan;

The confusion arises because when the bowsprit of Navy ships was first extended by adding an additional spar, this was frequently referred to as the flying jib-boom. So the combination was the bowsprit, and the flying jib-boom. There was no jib-boom. 

when the flying jib-boom proper was introduced, its end, as you say, was set in a cup in the cap, but it was secured with a lashing which passed through a hole in the heel of the flying jib-boom, and was given several turns around the jib-boom.

I would say that Druxey is correct in the date for its introduction, although it may well have been fitted to frigates a little earlier.

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Thank you all for the responses.

My source : The elements ans Practice of Rigging and Seamanship - vol 1 - is dated 1794.

This table suggests it is in ships of 100 guns down to sloops (found on pg 45)

1.JPG.d6dcbcf3b991a228e7daed38c6c3cb87.JPG

it is not mentioned again nor is it shown in any of the Plates diagrams of masts and yards for any size ship.

(not that I can find this early in the morning)

Alan O'Neill

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

I should have mentioned it is also in The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships.

I've had my breakfast so the brain is starting to work.

Alan O'Neill

• 6 months later...

Alan,

Lever's Sheet Anchor shows a good drawing of a  Flying jib boom and its associated "flying jib martingale guy" in the appendix on page 114-115.  He states:

"The Flying Jib Martingale Guy leads thru a thimble in the strap on the bowsprit, and thru the lower sheave hole , reeves thru a block at the end of the FLYING JIB-BOOM, and thru the hole. The same operation takes place on the other leg of the Dolphin striker."

Not sure of the time period here,

Dan

image.png.9c04e0ce32de2dc06d10a397436802b9.png

2020-08-21_15-57-38.pdf