Question on glue for cardstock ornamentation for Golden Hind

I am building the Mamoli Golden Hind. My kit came with the printed cardstock ornamentation rather than the older kits painted wood. Does anyone have a recommendation on the best way to glue/adhere the cardstock to the planking? White glue? Spray adhesive? 

Thanks

Either of those will work, as will a number of other glues such as contact cement. Personally, for such decorations I would use a non-water-based glue such as the contact cement or spray adhesive, simply because water-based glues will tend to warp the paper, though if the strips are small then that shouldn't be much of a problem. I would probably also seal the paper parts with some matte clear spray to give them a bit of protection.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Chuck says he uses this stuff for his friezes .

Avery Glue Stick

Good idea to practice with some scrap and find what works best for you..

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Paper is one of the shortest-lasting materials used in modeling. It's highly susceptible to acidic deterioration, both inherently, as with papers containing acids, and externally, from environmental factors. Adhesives used on paper pose the risk of soaking into the paper and attacking it chemically, as well. Over time, glues can permeate paper and stain and discolor it. Chuck's suggested use of Avery Glue Sticks is probably a good option.  Paper conservators use rice and wheat-based pastes. White (clear) shellac is also a good solution, so long as the ink isn't alcohol-soluble. A coat of thin shellac will hold a piece of paper and another on top will seal the paper. This "decoupage" method also works with any clear coating. 

I've bookmarked this chart on adhesives from the Preservation Self-Assessment Program ("PSAP") and others might find it helpful: https://psap.library.illinois.edu/collection-id-guide/adhesives

"The PSAP is a free online tool that helps museum and library collection managers prioritize efforts to improve conditions of collections. Through guided evaluation of materials, storage/exhibit environments, and institutional policies, the PSAP produces reports on the factors that impact the health of cultural heritage materials, and defines the points from which to begin care." The PSAP is chock-full of data on the archival qualities of materials and preservation methods. Anybody who cares about the longevity of their models will probably find it very interesting.  

Edited by Bob Cleek

• 1 month later...