ENGLISH MAN O'WAR by Robert Taylor - FINISHED - Revell - 1:96

I have not purchased it yet Robert. Still looking. I can find the Classic version but not the Special Edition. I just wonder what the difference is?  I am curious how the size compares to the Man O War we both built. I know they are 1/96 and the Golden Hind is 1/72. How does the model height and length compare?  I look for space to display my cases before I start a ship. I attached a couple pictures of my Cutty Sark and USS Construction in their cases. Have the spot for the Man O War picked out. 

0BF1B74E-B6E1-4B3F-86BA-8F44E1AA0A77.jpeg

D902C3F3-9276-478E-B1B1-EC17C70B2090.jpeg

500C4FEF-61E6-46F4-834C-E3AF726364A1.jpeg

556573D3-DB49-45C3-B041-8187D458EBE8.jpeg

11 hours ago, Bill97 said:

I have not purchased it yet Robert. Still looking. I can find the Classic version but not the Special Edition. I just wonder what the difference is?  I am curious how the size compares to the Man O War we both built. I know they are 1/96 and the Golden Hind is 1/72. How does the model height and length compare?  I look for space to display my cases before I start a ship. I attached a couple pictures of my Cutty Sark and USS Construction in their cases. Have the spot for the Man O War picked out. 

0BF1B74E-B6E1-4B3F-86BA-8F44E1AA0A77.jpeg

D902C3F3-9276-478E-B1B1-EC17C70B2090.jpeg

500C4FEF-61E6-46F4-834C-E3AF726364A1.jpeg

556573D3-DB49-45C3-B041-8187D458EBE8.jpeg

Hi Bill, wow beautiful displays  wish I had cases like them, very expensive here if you need to buy them, especially for large kits.

The English Man O'war  is nearly Double the size of the Airfix Golden Hind.

The Hind when fully built Measures about 46cm in length and about 40cm in height, whear as the Man O'war is 75cm in length and 64cm in height when fully built.

Not sure how accurate the Scales illustrated on the boxes are, but I do know that most of the Airfix classic tall ships range were mostly scaled to fit the boxes as most the boxes are the same size.

The Special edition Golden Hind comes with a loom to make your ratlines/shrouds with, other than that i am not sure of the difference between these two types of Hind.

I can vouch though that the Airfix  Hind is definitely one of the better models and builds pretty well with little or no flash to trim, and looks bigger than the measurements suggest when finished, definitely one of Airfix Quality kits.

You could try making your own cases - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/10344-10th-11th-century-byzantine-dromon-by-louie-da-fly-150-finished/page/54/

I worked  out the overall cost - came to about $100 Australian. The main cost was the polycarbonate. It would have cost more if I'd also put polycarbonate on the back, but I have plans for a background - but that's going to be a big (A1 size) print of a picture which will cost me another $20 from the office supplies place. So $120 overall. I don't know how that compares with the cost of the ones above. If it's a lot cheaper it might be worth considering.

Bill, the rake on your mizzen is better, but it still looks a bit extreme to me. Does the manufacturer supply any views of the finished kit from side-on? I expect not, otherwise you'd have mentioned it. Even your bonaventure (means "good adventure", or perhaps "good journey" in French) mizzen looks like it has a pretty extreme rake. However that may be the way the manufacturer intended it. But I'd be going with a rake on the mizzen that's about halfway between the angle of the main mast and that of the bonaventure.

Edited by Louie da fly

Thanks Robert and Louie. Robert I made the cases my self from a design I found on YouTube. Went with plexiglass instead of glass for weight, cost, and safety. Louie I wondered about the rake as well but the tops of the premolars ratlines lined up perfectly with the connection points on the mast so I guess they are right. 

On 11/7/2020 at 7:00 PM, Bill97 said:

Just noticed autocorrect typed premolars! 😀 no idea what that is. I typed pre formed. 

That Mizzen  looks a lot better now Bill, regards the premolars I guess you were just getting your teeth into it, sorry I'll get my jacket 😉

Edited by Robert Taylor

Thanks Robert. It did take some work but I think it came out alright as well. When I add the standing rigging I will fine tune a bit more as necessary. Hope I don’t “BITE” off to much!  I will get my jacket too. 

In an earlier post I think I remember you saying you pretty much stuck with galleons. Is that correct?  Since I am enjoying the Man O War so much I am looking for a recommendation for another one. I like your’s and Bosco’s pictures of the Golden Hind. I really enjoy models that take a while to build and have a lot of  detail. Other than the Golden Hind, do you have any other recommendations?

Hi Bill, 

Depending on the size of the kit with cracking Architectural features, the biggest one that Springs to mind is Heller's Soleil Royal, other than that also Heller's Royal Louis or La Sirene, all of which I have in my stash, these becoming more scarce though in the current climate. 

Outwith Heller I would definitely Recommend Airfix's Hms Prince, Wasa or St Louis or Royal Sovereign albeit the Sovereigns Hull detail is not great but it still has great Architectural features. I would have said "The Revenge" also but it is not so different from the English Man O'war build albeit smaller of course.

All of these again I have in my stash and to build list.

Revell  wise I think we are quite limited in ships with great architectural features, Apart from the EMO'war there is of course the same kit nearly in the Spanish Galleon, or we have their version of the Wasa(Vasa) or Pirate ship which has been reboxed as the Black pearl with slight architectural changes, outwith architectural features there are other others the same as Airfix like the Bounty and the Mayflower both of which I have in Airfix and the Revell  Spanish Galleon.

There is of course HMS Victory Airfix and Revell but I have heard numerous complaints about the mouldings on both kits and I remember I had trouble with one when I was 12yrs old. So I guess it you do a Victory, Heller's 1:100 is the only way to go which I too managed to pick up only 2 weeks ago.

I f your looking for a slightly smaller kit out of the list I have quoted I would go for "Hms Prince" it is again very hard to find though.

I have gave you a few photos below to wett your appetite mate.

20200619_120623.jpg

20200619_120855.jpg

51oJc8pVG1L._AC_SY400_.jpg

51U-wjXWQAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

510hCLjtIzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

FB_IMG_1599937913549.jpg

Vasa_5.jpg

46049670624_6da2bc32a3_b-1.jpg

I don't know anything about how easy or difficult it is to build, but the Saint Louis (Heller and Airfix both make a kit - there's a discussion on their relative merits at http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/7/t/98193.aspx) has always appealed to me, perhaps because of those wonderful "turrets" at bow and stern.

Heller-LE-SAINT-LOUIS-Ship-1-200-Scale-Plastic.jpg

Thanks guys. I am going to write down all these names and search for them online. In my search for other models on the few sites I am aware of (Amazon, Hobbylinc, etc.) I can’t find much on galleons. Where do you find them that trust ordering or do you buy them somewhere off the shelf at a hobby store type place? As I have mentioned I have the 1/100 Heller Victory as a future Christmas gift and have mentioned the Airfix 1/72 Golden Hind on my wish list. Love all the ones pictured above, if I could just find them. 

Guys I also meant to ask what scale are most of these?  What scale do you enjoy most?  I have only worked with 1/96 and 1/100 until getting the Revell 1:225 Victory for my grandsons. It is definitely different than working on the bigger ones. 

Hi Bill, most of these you can get of ebay, some are rarer than others but you can save a search and set and alert to anyone that get listed asap.

As for Scale 

Heller  Soleil Royal 1:100

Victory 1:100

Heller Royal Louis 1:200

La Sirene  1:150

Airfix HMS Prince 1:144

Wasa 1:144

St Louis 1:144

Royal Sovereign 1:168

Revell  Spanish Galleon 1:96

I would say Scale Preferability  depends on how much detail you want on your ship. Of course the bigger the kit the easier to a certain extent it is to carry out rigging etc.. 

But alas most of these kits are only available  in these scale sizes unless you want to build wooden ones.

I would say that although there are different scale sizes that most of the Heller and Airfix ones are roughly  the same size but still very workable without being overly difficult, albeit with the amount of architectural features it will test your painting skills to the limit.  And the exception of course of The Victory, Soleil Royal and Spanish Galleon being much larger kits.

Edited by Robert Taylor

Thanks Robert this is very helpful. My main curiosity reference the scale is the actual size of the finished model. I really like the finished size (regardless of scale) of the Man O War you and I did. Big enough for good detail and just looking at in the case. My USS Constitution and Cutty Sark both are a little over 30 inches (76 cm) long, and I am guessing  the Man O War will be around that same length. The Revell HMS Victory 1/225 I am helping my grandsons build will be around 40 cm long. It seems a bit to small for what I enjoy more. Could you guess at the size of the ones you listed above?

I hope I am not asking to much. I included a picture of my grandson’s in progress 1/225 HMS Victory next to my in progress Man O War. Definitely much smaller. 

image.jpg

Very nice indeed, what next on yr build list

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi Bill 

The Heller Royal louis is quoted at 48cm finished La Sirene is quoted at  43cm The Airfix kits around the same up and to 46cm.

The biggest ones are Revell Spanish Galleon  which is the same size as the Man O'war  and the 2  big Heller ones, Soleil Royal is quoted at 77cm 

While the Victory is the largest at 110cm.

Thing is with most of the kits listed that even though there are a lot of scale differences it doesn't mean a lot as most were made to fit the boxes which are actually the same size(Airfix that is) so scale isnt really historically accurate.

It's just a pity these kits weren't made larger they would have been awesome to build, taking nothing away from them though I think they are still quality kits  like I said it's not all about size for me but architecturally it has to be very good and  well moulded.

Ok Robert thanks. I have not seen a smaller one completed. Like you say the architecture is the most important. I just wondered if the small ones looked as impressive or just looked like a kids toy? Your’s looks good. So I may be wrong in my thinking. 

3 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Ok Robert thanks. I have not seen a smaller one completed. Like you say the architecture is the most important. I just wondered if the small ones looked as impressive or just looked like a kids toy? Your’s looks good. So I may be wrong in my thinking. 

Hi Bill, here is also a picture of my Airfix 1:72 Golden Hind and small Cutty Sark  starter kit against my English Man O'war  I was building at the time. As you can see although the Golden Hind is half the size, it is still big enough to make a very represntable kit.

20200703_155122.jpg

20200703_155104.jpg

20200703_212934.jpg

20200703_212850.jpg

Edited by Robert Taylor

Very good Robert. Thanks. In your stand alone pictures I would have believed they were similar size!  I guess there is pretty good architecture in a smaller ship. Like you said I won’t really be able to tell by the advertised scale of the model how big, or small it actually is. If curious I guess I can always research a particular model to get it’s dimensions. I was thinking one good thing about building smaller models is I can more easily find places to display them in my house. I checked eBay after your earlier comment and found several of the ones you recommended. I am going to end up with more kits than I will have space. Working on Man O War. Getting Heller’s 1:100 HMS Victory for Christmas and probably the Airfix 1/72 Golden Hind as well. Would love to pick up a couple more of the galleons you recommended. That should keep me busy for a couple years. 😊

Robert have you built all my the ships you referred to?  If so, do you have them displayed all throughout your house?  My wife kind of “nicely” requests I keep all of mine in the “ ship room”. Afraid that is eventually going to come down to a battle! 😀.  Maybe at that point it may be better if I do have some smaller ones. If the Victory is as big as you say it is really going to eat up space in my ship room. How many do you have? Once I get the Victory and Golden Hind built I will have 5.

Hi Bill, No I haven't  built all your ships you referred to. 

I have never bought the Cutty Sark as it just didn't  do anything  for me, albeit the starter pack I did was a stocking filler last xmas.

The Uss constitution I do not have as I can't get hold of the 1:96 scale one, I do however have the 1:96 USS United states but unbuilt atm. 

The Heller Victory I have too unbuilt as I have just purchased it and of course I have built the Golden Hind.

Of the ones I have mentioned I have built a couple a long time ago when I was young, but now lost, a few of the kits I couldn't  get for one reason or another when I was young like Hms Prince and the Wasa but have now been  able to purchase this last year.

I am only  just bk building kits this last 6months as covid hit and I was laid off, its been  40yrs or so since I last built kits so at the moment  I have 3 built, English Man O'war, Golden Hind and Cutty Sark starter kit and the " Santa Catarina Do Monte Sinai" is my work in progress, so that's kinda 4.

Not sure which kit will be up next think it might be a Heller French one time will tell mate.

Yes Space is a problem  atm we have a spare room full of granddaughters toys, but this will become available in time, so its steady as you go here with builds albeit I have shelving in to take care of anything just now.

Edited by Robert Taylor

Pretty much the same situation here Robert. Building these models is what has gotten me through this covid-19 shut in. Just go back to my building area, sometimes with a bit if bourbon, and tinker away. We also have a room filled with grandkid stuff that may someday free up some display space. I just assumed since you had all those great pictures and information about galleons you had built them and had them in your home. 

3 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Pretty much the same situation here Robert. Building these models is what has gotten me through this covid-19 shut in. Just go back to my building area, sometimes with a bit if bourbon, and tinker away. We also have a room filled with grandkid stuff that may someday free up some display space. I just assumed since you had all those great pictures and information about galleons you had built them and had them in your home. 

Hi Bill the ones I quoted to you and a few more I do have in the house but are unbuilt atm, I have bought them when the became available  as some are hard to get now.

This is my stash that I work from.

20201016_113454.jpg

20200917_101459.jpg

20200619_124735.jpg

20201105_110056.jpg

Hi Bill, as you can see there is a couple of doubles, like the Heller Royal Louis, the reason for this one was because I had to write on of them off, as it came with 2 right hand Hulls and the Company never replaced or refunded myself,, and Heller never replied to my emails, I have also seen that this has happened on a few occasions with this particular kit for some reason ?

Also the Heller and Zvezda  Hms Elizabethan are both the same kit unbeknown to myself at the time, I also thought they were of different size which they weren't, I guess you live and learn, however they did not cost much, so not so out of pocket.

Hi Bill I forgot to add there is actually another 2 kits to this stash that Airfix Endeavour and Zvezda Conquistador "San Gabriel" which is actually a rebox of Revell's Vasco da gama's Nau San Gabriel.

For some reason I do not have a photo of the Endeavour on my phone atm.

20200730_080544.jpg

20200730_080937.jpg

Edited by Robert Taylor

After seeing the pictures and reading your comments I did a little online search. There is a 13 part build video of the Soleli Royal you have. That is an impressive ship to build! You will enjoy it. Kind of expensive brand new on line and sold out on eBay. I also really like the Airfix Wasa. I have found it available and am going to add that to my Christmas. I can’t remember the scale of it now. What is your’s? Going to look for the Prince also.