HMS Terror by Major - OcCre

Hello all.

I’ve been looking at kits again after completing my little Hannah (well,nearly, I’m still waiting for resin to finish water and need to clean the bottle). I really like old ships, with sails and rigging etc. Since I’ve only built Hannah (and it took me nearly 5 years) it’s fair to say I’m very new to the hobby. I do have some experience with other models - wooden aircraft and plastic minis - so I thought I might as well jump into deeper waters when it comes to my first proper build. 

I have been reading various build logs here for last few days and couldn’t make my mind up as to which long boat I should choose. I really liked MS 18th century longboat, but struggled to find one available in UK - or maybe just wasn’t looking hard enough. Another contender was AL’s Jolly Boat and Bounty’s captain’s boat. Somehow I drifted towards bigger builds and I’ve noticed that even beginners were producing amazing models, so after careful consideration I’ve chosen my kit. 

Order was placed just now, my kit along with aliphatic glue should be here this week. The ship I chose - Occre HMS Terror. Story of this vessel is fascinating, size is interesting, look of it is amazing. I will be staring build on Sunday, I shall edit the title for a proper one when kit arrives. 

Looking forward to the challenge, but with resources on here I think it won’t be as difficult as I anticipate. 

Best regards

Tom

Liberate my madness!!!

Hannah

She’s finally arrived yesterday. I am over the moon with kit contents, but dislike plastic deadeyes so much... same with metal lifeboats.  Looks like adding details could be much easier had they included wooden elements. If anyone could point me in direction of wooden counterparts, I’d be grateful.

While I’m waiting for my glue to arrive, I’ll have a look once again through other build logs, I’m sure there was more elements to replace/upgrade. 

Regards 

Tom

B101ABBD-71CB-49B4-80D5-F0FD9FAD3BDD.jpeg

Liberate my madness!!!

Hannah

37 minutes ago, Major said:

She’s finally arrived yesterday. I am over the moon with kit contents, but dislike plastic deadeyes so much... same with metal lifeboats.  Looks like adding details could be much easier had they included wooden elements. If anyone could point me in direction of wooden counterparts, I’d be grateful.

While I’m waiting for my glue to arrive, I’ll have a look once again through other build logs, I’m sure there was more elements to replace/upgrade. 

Regards 

Tom

B101ABBD-71CB-49B4-80D5-F0FD9FAD3BDD.jpeg

Hi,

Welcome to the Terror club!

I replaced deadeyes with Jotika wooden ones - happy with the outcome.

Lifeboat Keith replaced with Master Korabel one.

Keith, me and some others also replaced chainplates.

Ropes around the masts i replaced with black tread.

Theres probably more stuff i cant now remember.

Theres a lot of into on Keiths, mine and Obviousnewbie builds. Also mistakes that we made etc.

Vahur

Just now, Wahka_est said:

Hi,

Welcome to the Terror club!

I replaced deadeyes with Jotika wooden ones - happy with the outcome.

Lifeboat Keith replaced with Master Korabel one.

Keith, me and some others also replaced chainplates.

Ropes around the masts i replaced with black tread.

Theres probably more stuff i cant now remember.

Theres a lot of into on Keiths, mine and Obviousnewbie builds. Also mistakes that we made etc.

Vahur

Thank you very much for input mate. I was just looking at your logs and saw upgrades. They deffo be very helpful during my build. 

Liberate my madness!!!

Hannah

weird i got wooden deadeyes with mine!? and even though wrong the ships wheels were bronzed- maybe due to manufacturing restrictions over last few months- i got some replacement boats from quaycraft via cornwall model boats.

Keith

I like the Model Shipways Deadeyes.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me