Battle of Waterloo Attack on La Haye Sainte Farm by Old Collingwood - 1/56 (28mm)

Evening all,    washes  on  the  extension  -  just needs  some gentle  dry brusing  dust  to blend the  roof  in  and  some  on the edges  of  the  posts  (also  noticed a  piece of the  roof  edge  missing  paint)

OC.

IMG_0519-Edit.JPG

IMG_0520-Edit.JPG

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

5 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

I am trying to   do everything  scenery wise  from  stuff we have in the  house.....

Oh I completely understand my Friend.... May I make a suggestion.....

Do some materials pre-work/ pre-prep,... Standard poster board is about the thickness of the cardboard on the bottom of many notepads.... About 20-30 thousandths thick... A standard copy paper sheet is 4-5 thou thick... Laminate 6-7 sheets together into one sheet... You could even stagger the sheets to give you a thin starting and ending edge... This way you get the benefits of a thicker stronger foundation medium and a thin edge for finishing... The laminations would be lay a sheet down on a non stick surface (plastic sheet) and spray it wet with your diluted glue, lay the next sheet and do the same continuing with the inside sheets to the thickness you want, then the final sheet you lay over the freshly wetted last inner sheet and allow the glue to soak into it from underneath... Then allow to dry....

It will be a little stiffer than normal poster board from the laminating process but should duplicate the medium quite well.... 

But before you commit to this test it out with a one sheet set to find out how it works best for you if you go this way.... I think it will be a lot easier in the long run, yes a bit more time in preparation, but less chance for issues when you get to applying it on the model...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Egilman said:

Oh I completely understand my Friend.... May I make a suggestion.....

Do some materials pre-work/ pre-prep,... Standard poster board is about the thickness of the cardboard on the bottom of many notepads.... About 20-30 thousandths thick... A standard copy paper sheet is 4-5 thou thick... Laminate 6-7 sheets together into one sheet... You could even stagger the sheets to give you a thin starting and ending edge... This way you get the benefits of a thicker stronger foundation medium and a thin edge for finishing... The laminations would be lay a sheet down on a non stick surface (plastic sheet) and spray it wet with your diluted glue, lay the next sheet and do the same continuing with the inside sheets to the thickness you want, then the final sheet you lay over the freshly wetted last inner sheet and allow the glue to soak into it from underneath... Then allow to dry....

It will be a little stiffer than normal poster board from the laminating process but should duplicate the medium quite well.... 

But before you commit to this test it out with a one sheet set to find out how it works best for you if you go this way.... I think it will be a lot easier in the long run, yes a bit more time in preparation, but less chance for issues when you get to applying it on the model...

Thank you kindly  for  explaining all that,  my  thinking  for using  ordinary copy  paper  is  because  I already  have a  ream  of it  to hand,  I will  be  landscaping directly down onto  my plastic  base  (Green in my photos)   and  the  dimensions   of the  slope gradients  are  from  3mm  at the  end  where  it joins  the  paving section  near  the  porch  sloping up  gradually towards  the  edge of the  barn  where it needs  to  be  between  15  and  20mm,  then sloping  away  to  my  Right  where  it needs  to  be  about 25mm,  so  I was thinking  starting  off with  my  3mm  thick  over the  whole  area, then  page by  page  adding them  graduating  them  to get  the  gradual  slope  or  even a  slight  ridge  where  the  slope  might not be a  perfect  line  but lightly  rounded,  also  where  it meets  the  log store extension  I want the  ground  to slightly  fall back  abit  with a  nice  rounded taper,   not forgetting  it will  have  the  grass  mat  over the  top  of  it  so it should  be plenty  tough enough  -  and  the weight  does not matter  as  its  weighty  all over   to  be  fair. 

But I have never done  any  scenery  landscaping before  -  so  its  all   a learning curve.

I do  appreciate  your  input and  ideas  brother  as   every  little  helps.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

I am   very  keenly  looking at all the  options  for  my  landscape  areas  of my  build,  as  I want to  try to do a  convincing job of it.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

OC. I was wondering if you had some old cardboard boxes that you could cut up to create the contours of the rising ground. Then use strips of old newspapers/ free newspapers/ junk mail (just avoid the glossy paper) laid on with diluted white glue to get the final smooth shapes. Maybe a final layer of typing paper to get a clean surface if you want to paint on it. Yep,, old school (literally, I remember doing this at school sixty years ago). It’s papier-mâché as suggested above. The thickness of the card is probably not critical so you could use whatever you have on hand. Good luck. The scene is developing wonderfully 

alan

2 hours ago, jim Landis said:

You might want to consider paper mache, using newsprint paper as well.  It sounds like you will need more than one ream of copy paper for that area..

Thank you  for  looking in  Jim.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 hours ago, king derelict said:

The boxes are just to yield pieces of flat card. Sorry I’m still half asleep 

I have been studying that  Styrene  blocks  that you  can cut  and sand  to shape,  need   to  check it  out for  later.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I do like the 1 inch thick extruded (not expanded) polystyrene sold for insulation. Its easy to work with, cuts well, glues well and takes paint and medium well. When shaping slopes I find the average hobby knife doesn't work too well because the blade is just not long enough. I raid the kitchen instead. A long serrated knife works well. Remember the old "kitchen devil" knives. They are just the job

Alan

41 minutes ago, king derelict said:

I do like the 1 inch thick extruded (not expanded) polystyrene sold for insulation. Its easy to work with, cuts well, glues well and takes paint and medium well. When shaping slopes I find the average hobby knife doesn't work too well because the blade is just not long enough. I raid the kitchen instead. A long serrated knife works well. Remember the old "kitchen devil" knives. They are just the job

Alan

I have seen this  stuff  even says  it can be  sanded  to make contours  and  gradients   -  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266556642528?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D777008%26algo%3DPERSONAL.TOPIC%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20240131095853%26meid%3D49c2093ed2da43b9b9b6ed903ca8c204%26pid%3D101949%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26itm%3D266556642528%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D4375194%26algv%3DRecentlyViewedItemsV2Mobile%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p4375194.c101949.m162918&_trkparms=parentrq%3A5a061b6e18f0a0dc76e9ce35fffe4c82|pageci%3Aa22ccd1e-0d7e-11ef-919e-32f7db286d20|iid%3A1|vlpname%3Avlp_homepage

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

15 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

I haven't tried that but it is generally very forgiving and tolerant. It doesn't tear up into little balls like expanded polystyrene. I used it as the base for Castle Loarre and the current seascape. Its nice and rigid too.

Alan

1 hour ago, king derelict said:

I haven't tried that but it is generally very forgiving and tolerant. It doesn't tear up into little balls like expanded polystyrene. I used it as the base for Castle Loarre and the current seascape. Its nice and rigid too.

Alan

Thank you Alan,  it  does  look  good    -  I have watched a  few  videos  of it being used  for  scenery.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

3 minutes ago, king derelict said:

Its a favourite of the High Eye Youtube channel that does dioramas

High Eye Workshop - YouTube

Alan

Thank you for the  link Alan.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

What is attracting me  towards  the  foam board  shown above  -  is  to  be able  to  show  nice  sharp clean  edges  where they meet  the   display  case sides, I would  probably  paint them  an  Earth  colour  to  mimic  cutting through a  piece  of  ground.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Just  done  a  side  on view  in Paint  to  show  the  gradient  of the  scenery  or  how  it should  be,  just  shows a  rough  guide  to  the  slope  of the  grounds  from the  wall  road  towards  the   NW,  its  shows  how  I  could  display  like  a  cut through  view  of the  ground  on the  edge  of my  base.

OC.

Plan.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

OC, I have one of these cutting tools for foam that works well. I used it for the first time on my Sea King base. It might be useful and not expensive.

3-IN-1 Hot Wire Foam Cutter, 8Pcs Electric Styrofoam Cutting Tools Kit, 18W Polystyrene Cutter Styrofoam Cutting Pen with Adaptor, for Foam Carving& Cutting

Screenshot_20240509_073338_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.9d9eae7b5d0ad63a5b1f90ee5eb656ed.jpg

https://amzn.eu/d/1xRGOFp

Cheers,

James.

Current Builds

Microaces Scrappee Liaison Radio Controlled

Occre Polaris 1/50

Hong Kong Models 1/32 B25 J Mitchell

Completed 

Airfix Westland Sea King HU.5 1/48

Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc 1/24

Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (SPECIAL) 'THE DAMBUSTERS' 1/72 

Airfix Titanic 1/400

Airfix King Tiger 1/35

In the hangar, dockyard or factory 

Airfix Fairey Gannet AS.1/AS.4 1/48, Airfix North American P-51D, Mustang 1/48, Airfix Supermarine Spitfire FR Mk.XIV 1/48, Airfix MGB 1/32, ICM Gloster Gladiator 1/32, 5 Airfix Tanks, Airfix Blackburn Buccaneer S.2 C/D 1/48, Artesania Latina Zuiderzee Botter 1912 1/50, Airfix WWII British Army 30-cwt 4x2 GS Truck 1/35

7 hours ago, chadwijm6 said:

OC, I have one of these cutting tools for foam that works well. I used it for the first time on my Sea King base. It might be useful and not expensive.

3-IN-1 Hot Wire Foam Cutter, 8Pcs Electric Styrofoam Cutting Tools Kit, 18W Polystyrene Cutter Styrofoam Cutting Pen with Adaptor, for Foam Carving& Cutting

Screenshot_20240509_073338_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.9d9eae7b5d0ad63a5b1f90ee5eb656ed.jpg

I have something similar and it is a big help when working with the foam. The High Eye guy uses one a lot too. In my hands at least it’s not a precise tool but it allows you to work on the foam in places where it is hard to get a knife. Sloping ground can be a case in point if it’s a large area

alan

10 hours ago, chadwijm6 said:

Thank you kindly for the  link.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Evening all,    not a lot  to report  - just  a  thin sheet  of flashing added  to  the  extension and  its glued in place now,  its still  waiting on some  blending  dry brushing  to  link  it together.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Weathering  done,  but to  be honest  I am  self  critic-ing  it   -  not sure  if  I  have gone  over the  top?

OC.

IMG_0522-Edit.JPG

IMG_0523-Edit.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

Looks great OC, I don't think it's overdone personally. Looks very realistic 👍🏻

Cheers,

James.

Current Builds

Microaces Scrappee Liaison Radio Controlled

Occre Polaris 1/50

Hong Kong Models 1/32 B25 J Mitchell

Completed 

Airfix Westland Sea King HU.5 1/48

Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc 1/24

Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (SPECIAL) 'THE DAMBUSTERS' 1/72 

Airfix Titanic 1/400

Airfix King Tiger 1/35

In the hangar, dockyard or factory 

Airfix Fairey Gannet AS.1/AS.4 1/48, Airfix North American P-51D, Mustang 1/48, Airfix Supermarine Spitfire FR Mk.XIV 1/48, Airfix MGB 1/32, ICM Gloster Gladiator 1/32, 5 Airfix Tanks, Airfix Blackburn Buccaneer S.2 C/D 1/48, Artesania Latina Zuiderzee Botter 1912 1/50, Airfix WWII British Army 30-cwt 4x2 GS Truck 1/35

23 minutes ago, chadwijm6 said:

Looks great OC, I don't think it's overdone personally. Looks very realistic 👍🏻

Thank you kindly,   I think I will leave  that  area  of the  building as  it is then.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

It's looking good, OC. As you add more details, you can add additional weathering effects, if you think you need it. Too much weathering now and you'll live with it. Don't overthink it, mate. ;)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

5 hours ago, Canute said:

It's looking good, OC. As you add more details, you can add additional weathering effects, if you think you need it. Too much weathering now and you'll live with it. Don't overthink it, mate. ;)

Thanks  Ken.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Evening all,    I have  just brought  my  scenery  board  for  my  raised area,   its coming from China  and  expected  arrival with me  upto Three  weeks,, I have other  stuff  I can do.

OC.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266556642528?var=566325039917

Current builds  

Completed works.

Just  checked on when my  foam base will  be arriving  from China   -  4th July😲

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

45 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Just  checked on when my  foam base will  be arriving  from China   -  4th July😲

OC.

Just in time for our Independence Day picnics 😇😊😇

7 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Just in time for our Independence Day picnics 😇😊😇

I was thinking  just that  Jack.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.