Frigate Diana by ObviousNewbie - FINISHED - OcCre - Scale 1:82 - Second wooden ship build

O.N.

She is lovely, very neat and clean work throughout.  I realize you were relegated to using what the kit offers, but I would like to know if it provided the parrels for the cross jack yard on the mizzen.  The reason I ask, is that on English ships the cross jack had rope slings until the mid 19th century, then chain slings, but never did they have parrels.    

Thanks

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

1 hour ago, allanyed said:

O.N.

She is lovely, very neat and clean work throughout.  I realize you were relegated to using what the kit offers, but I would like to know if it provided the parrels for the cross jack yard on the mizzen.  The reason I ask, is that on English ships the cross jack had rope slings until the mid 19th century, then chain slings, but never did they have parrels.    

Thanks

Allan

Hi Allen, thnx for your feedback, I took a picture of the mizzen mast and its yards so you can have a better look:

IMG_8410.thumb.JPG.03725b53d1c4a3b6a61c434187ce591a.JPG

As you said, kit is built (mostly) straight out of the box, so the parrels for the cross jack were installed as to the plans. Thnx for clarifying the actual situation. Rigging instructions are sometimes confusing (had a lot of issues with the Martingale).

"Whatever does not kill you, only makes you stranger."

Current build: 

Finished builds:Calella by Occre - Greek Bireme by Amati HMS Terror by Occre - Frigate Diana by Occre

No worries, there are a lot of kits that are loaded with mistakes.  Oversized belaying pins and unrealistic looking gratings and copper plating on the hull seem to be the most common items that stand out in a not so good way.   Thankfully there are some excellent kits on the market now thanks to several designers with a thorough  knowledge of how the ships actually looked so we all can benefit.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 2 months later...

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

13 hours ago, GrandpaPhil said:

Congratulations!  Well done!

Thanks! "Enjoying" the Amati Bireme now (which I've dubbed "Ephialtes", the Greek word for nightmare 🙂 ). Challenging without any instructions to speak of, but I'm learning a lot!

"Whatever does not kill you, only makes you stranger."

Current build: 

Finished builds:Calella by Occre - Greek Bireme by Amati HMS Terror by Occre - Frigate Diana by Occre

:10_1_10::champagne: another one down the ways, well done.                                                                                                                                                                                   Keith