new member from Hillsboro Oregon USA

Welcome aboard! I'm not thoroughly familiar with what's available in live steam kits, but I know that there are many options out there, with prices ranging from relatively inexpensive to not-nearly-as-inexpensive, if you catch my meaning.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Hi Bruce, welcome to MSW from south of you.

There are some scratch builds of steam powered models but not that many.  You might do a search there.   I'm assuming, of course, that you actually want steam power and be able to put in a pond.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Bruce. Welcome from not quite as far south as Mark.

I have seen a few live steam model boats - like the African Queen (Google "African Queen live steam model"). I think you may have to pick an engine and look around for a kit it can be fitted into. You might get information about suitable kits on the engine manufacturer's web site. Look around for live steam web sites.

Or you can scratch build. There is a fellow who occasionally shows up at the Toledo, Oregon, boat show with a really cute 1:1 scale live steam boat that would be easy to model.

Hi Bruce, and welcome. Mark's right - steam-powered models are a bit rare on MSW.

A few questions -

Firstly, have you ever built a ship model before? Though it's not impossible, taking on a large or complicated project first off can be a bit overwhelming. If you're planning to build a steamer, what kind did you have in mind - modern or transition from sail to steam - merchant vessel or warship?  That will make a big difference in where you should be looking.

Second, do you have any experience with steam engines? That's a whole subject in itself. There are quite a few model steam engines out there that might be of use to you, but I can't point you in the right direction because I have no experience with such things since my Dad built one from a kit when I was a nipper about 60 years ago.

As far as I know there aren't any kits out there that are steam-powered, so the first thing to find out would be what kit you could buy that would be suitable to convert to a steam-powered model, that was also not too expensive, and has clear instructions?

I realise this doesn't really answer your questions at all, but it might give you some idea of what to look for and where you should be looking.

Having said that, the idea of a proper steam-powered ship model being built on MSW would certainly be of interest to me, and I expect also to many other members. Once you're over the search phase and have a kit to start on, you'll find the members here very helpful and encouraging. I wish you every success with your quest - I just wish I could be of more help.

Louie

Thank you for your kind response. I'm not brand new to models I have built planes, and boats and have a lot to learn  yet. So please treat me as a novice I want to learn. I will answer each of your  questions below.

• Members
  •  
  • 2,557 posts
  • Location Ballarat, Australia

Hi Bruce, and welcome. Mark's right - steam-powered models are a bit rare on MSW.

A few questions -

Firstly, have you ever built a ship model before? Though it's not impossible, taking on a large or complicated project first off can be a bit overwhelming. If you're planning to build a steamer, what kind did you have in mind - modern or transition from sail to steam - merchant vessel or warship?  That will make a big difference in where you should be looking.

Second, do you have any experience with steam engines? That's a whole subject in itself. There are quite a few model steam engines out there that might be of use to you, but I can't point you in the right direction because I have no experience with such things since my Dad built one from a kit when I was a nipper about 60 years ago.

As far as I know there aren't any kits out there that are steam-powered, so the first thing to find out would be what kit you could buy that would be suitable to convert to a steam-powered model, that was also not too expensive, and has clear instructions?

I realise this doesn't really answer your questions at all, but it might give you some idea of what to look for and where you should be looking.

Having said that, the idea of a proper steam-powered ship model being built on MSW would certainly be of interest to me, and I expect also to many other members. Once you're over the search phase and have a kit to start on, you'll find the members here very helpful and encouraging. I wish you every success with your quest - I just wish I could be of more help.

A few questions -

Firstly, have you ever built a ship model before? Though it's not impossible, taking on a large or complicated project first off can be a bit overwhelming. If you're planning to build a steamer, what kind did you have in mind - modern or transition from sail to steam - merchant vessel or warship?  That will make a big difference in where you should be looking.

I have built 2 RC boats One a Billings tug a 4 channel and other is the Dusseldorf 16 Channel It will be completed inabout 2 weeks. I have include pictures of both. 

No Ihave not used steam for powering anything, I am trying to do my research now before I jump in to a kit. I have always love steam ever sinc I was stationed in England we use to go to the steam trction events there. and we have a steamlive museuim here in Oregon I love going to and watching the equipment there.

That is my problem as is finding Plans/kits with good instructioons the  two boats I built the instructios were pretty Vague, and a lot was lost in translation, and getting some of the parts and supplies was difficult. getting the glues was not easy either. 

Some information is better than none. and i thank anyone who is willing to share.

Steven

Current build - 11th century Byzantine dromon http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10344-10th-11th-century-byzantine-dromon-by-louie-da-fly-150/page-1 

Rebuild of 1:200 model of Henry Grace a Dieu I started in 1967 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12426-henry-grace-a-dieu-great-harry-by-louie-da-fly-scale-1200-repaired-after-over-40-yrs-of-neglect/?hl=%2Bhenry+%2Bgrace+%2Bdieu . 

0027.jpg

0029.jpg

0030.jpg

0031.jpg

0032.jpg

0033.jpg

0033-001.jpg

0034.jpg

0035.jpg

0036.jpg

day-006-001.jpg

day-006-003.jpg

day-006-004.jpg

day-006-005.jpg

day-006-006.jpg

day-006-007.jpg

day-006-008.jpg

Day-006-009.jpg

day-006-010.jpg

0037.jpg

0038.jpg

0039.jpg

0040.jpg

0042.jpg

0043.jpg

0044.jpg

0045.jpg

8 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Hi Bruce, welcome to MSW from south of you.

There are some scratch builds of steam powered models but not that many.  You might do a search there.   I'm assuming, of course, that you actually want steam power and be able to put in a pond.

Mark Hi Neigbor I have built a plastic model of the USS Constitution in the past.

Yes I AM interested in steam power. and a working model to use on a pond.

Hello Bruce,

Well, you clearly can make a model. I would suggest you approach this by deciding which type of steam plant you want/can access and then the list of appropriate boats will snap into place.

From experience: making a steam plant can be a massively time-consuming, and frustrating, project. A simple wobbler engine with a simple boiler is not as sexy as a Stuart D10 with lagged and plumbed scale marine boiler. If you want the '10', it may take a year to make the Bo Derek version but a couple of weekends to make the less exciting powerplant.

Stuart Models can supply the steam packages in any form from unmachined kit to ready-to-run, including reversing gear, according to budget. I have no link with them other than being a satisfied customer.

https://www.stuartmodels.com/

A long time ago plans for a simple "African Queen" were produced by a firm called HOBBYS here in the UK. I saw at least one project started using these blown up to a large scale (around three and a half feet in length) but sadly the builder was not able to complete it. It was scaled to match a Stuart Number 4 and was a good example of making the model match the most demanding component.

Whatever you decide, please let us in on the build!

Welcome to MSW.

Bruce 

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

To Bruce D. from bruce dixon My mother is from Barking in Essex.  LOL thank you so much. I don't have the equipment to build my own Steam plant and will have t buy a completed assy. which is looking rather expensive. I'm looking into building the Mt.Washington dumus model 1235 Paddle wheeler right now for my winter project, https://www.harbormodels.com/dum1235.html trying to do the research at the moment then will decide on where I am going. I think it will be the Mt Washington electric or steam if possible.

Again thank you all.

Well, certainly no problems with your ship modelling abilities - I'm impressed!

I agree with Bruce D - once you've settled on a powerplant you will narrow down the list of kits considerably. You could also consider scratch-building if there are no kits that fit the bill sufficiently. But that means going over to the Dark Side . . . ;)

Nothing to do with the subject, but I remember the Two Ronnies TV show back in the 70s, where Ronnie Barker answered "viewers' mail". A Barking viewer wrote in to ask how to stop barking. He was referred to a Tooting viewer with a similar problem . . . :D