AL Hermione - Build the masts before or build them step-by-step

Spike1947

After many months I am now at the point of putting masts on the model and I can't make myself get started. I'm building AL's L'Hermione. I have cut and tapered the masts, they're painted and some of the blocks are installed. The AL instructions for this portion of the build are very abbreviated - read just pictures, no descriptions at all. The picture show the details for the individual masts and then it shows the masts assembled and ready to be placed into the hull. As I think about how I would assemble an entire mast I begin to wonder how that mast can be built to be straight and the individual masts properly aligned with each other. I've searched through the many contributions on this and related topics. It seems like there is a strong preference by many to install individual masts, attach the relevant standing rigging and then move up the mast; mast, then top mast, then topgallant mast. My concern with this approach is that as you work up the mast assembly you start working "in the air" with fewer and fewer reference points regarding alignment and plumb. 

Can I please get some help or guidance about how to proceed here. I need a push.

Thanks

Masts.JPG.7a6a4e4bf0801a10f3785669d07cb2ec.JPG

Richard

Current Build

Artesania Latina L'Hermione

Previous Builds

Thanks Chris. It's not so much the what but the how. I have the mast made as the instructions indicate. The question is how to build the straight, properly aligned and plumb to the hull. The closest thing the is to a scale drawing is a full scale photograph of the completed ship.

Richard

Current Build

Previous Builds

Spike, I have always used the method as you described. You can eyeball keeping everything straight. I would suggest having every line And block attached to every yard before hanging. That keeps working “in the air” to a minimum. Good luck. 

Current build: Model Shipways “Confederacy “

Completed builds:

Mamoli “Royal Louis“

Mantua “Royal Caroline”

Scratch 1/4 scale gondola “Philadelphia”

Scratch “Hannah” from Hahn plans. 

I don’t favor that method at all. I build the full mast and attach everything rope, shroud, and block l can off the ship. It looks like a tangled mess but it is a much smoother process than running the lines after it’s stepped on the ship. Once the mast is up and rigged then I add the yards on the ship. Since the lifts are part of that rigged mast it goes easier. 

Put a pin in the center back of the yard and match and glue it to the right location as shown by the plans for each yard. 

Even still the ropes and blocks have to be attached in the right order. Generally from the inside out and from the bottom up is a reasonable guide for the order.

The plans are all you need for rigging, instructions would be more confusing than helpful in my experience. 

Other than rat lines, rigging the ship is a fun part of the build. Sooo much string...

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

I tend to put the three sections of mast together off the ship, i.e. main mast, topmast and t'gallant. That way they can be glued and dry with a straight line drawn under them so you can see they are all in alignment. I then install on the ship. Make sure the ship is level, fore and aft, to its waterline and from side to side. You can install a plumb line to the rear of the mast (rear so rake of mast makes it swing freely, and as long as this is in alignment with the mast you should have it set accurately.

Of course if you get the rigging incorrect you will pull the mast out of position but gives you a good starting point.

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

Well, there you go.  The common method is there no common method apparently 😁

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thanks to everyone for quick replies to my distress call. Glenn summarizes it well and underscores my level of anxiety. I guess the optimistic takeaway is that either approach can work if correctly applied. As a novice to this ship model building experience my worry is the "if correctly applied" part.

For those of you that use the method of completing the stepped masts before placing them on the ship I have a question. besides straight line guides and plumb lines has anyone devised any type of jig that could help with alignment as the various mast elements are added?

Thanks again for you comments.

Richard

Current Build

Previous Builds

I lock it it with wood glue using a laser level to make sure it’s straight. It is an anxious time ensuring it dries straight, but once it is no worries from there. You have to tension the lines so they are taunt but not tight. I use the analogy of a guitar string, just short of floppy. Also where the bottom up inside out comes into play, this helps keep things properly aligned. 

Click on the link for my Lady Nelson build In my signature line below and scroll way down. I describe my process for rigging and stepping the mast. It should be of some help if you choose my method. 

Don’t over think it, you can adjust as you go. 

Regards,

Glenn