HMS Terror by DanielD - FINISHED - OcCre - Scale 1:75 - Second Build Started 10/4/2020

Busy day here in the Northwest USA so didn’t have much time to spend in the shipyard, but I managed to complete the stand.

Almost finished…

72ED4EBC-D896-448E-BE9B-75890C9D5D5C.jpeg

7EE4AC43-5160-43A9-9E0B-8C1E1AF20816.jpeg

52 minutes ago, jbcallender said:

I am  just atarting the build of HMS  Terrror. I'm really enjoying your log.  I like the dirty weathered deck planking.  I am thinking of lightly brushing on charcoal powder to achieve that look.  Any thoughts on that?  Also did you darken the deck plank ends to simulate caulking?     

Welcome to the Terror club. The best part of this build for me was learning about the history of this wonderful ship and incorporating as much detail as I could. I wasn’t in a hurry to finish the build to just get it done, but more about the details I could add along the way, which took me two years. If this is up your alley, I strongly recommend the book HMS Terror: the design, fitting and voyages of the polar discovery ship, by Dr. Matthew Betts. I wish I had this when I started my build.

As for your question…I used charcoal to darken the edges of each plank, all four edges. When in place you will see the dark lines that simulate caulking. I didn’t add any additional charcoal to the deck; however, after the deck was built I lightly sanded it before sealing with a satin finish. The act of sanding brings up some of the charcoal that was put on the edges of the planks, thus smearing small amounts across the deck which gives a slightly weathered gray look. If after all this you want to add more, it’s easy to dust additional on and rub it in…

Be sure to check out clearway and keiths Terror version also. They were a lot of help!

19 hours ago, DanielD said:

Welcome to the Terror club. The best part of this build for me was learning about the history of this wonderful ship and incorporating as much detail as I could. I wasn’t in a hurry to finish the build to just get it done, but more about the details I could add along the way, which took me two years. If this is up your alley, I strongly recommend the book HMS Terror: the design, fitting and voyages of the polar discovery ship, by Dr. Matthew Betts. I wish I had this when I started my build.

As for your question…I used charcoal to darken the edges of each plank, all four edges. When in place you will see the dark lines that simulate caulking. I didn’t add any additional charcoal to the deck; however, after the deck was built I lightly sanded it before sealing with a satin finish. The act of sanding brings up some of the charcoal that was put on the edges of the planks, thus smearing small amounts across the deck which gives a slightly weathered gray look. If after all this you want to add more, it’s easy to dust additional on and rub it in…

Be sure to check out clearway and keiths Terror version also. They were a lot of help!

Thanks, I have the Betts book on order.  I am workingg through the other logs, I've already gotten so many great ideas and techniques.  I last built a two masted schooner 25 years ago, so I've reassembled my tool collection and am ready to go.  The nice thing is I can now afford a few more things than i could years ago!  So many more things more easily available nowadays!    

Well mates, as always thanks for the likes and support over the last two years of my HMS Terror build. With the completion of the ninth and last small boat that was on board the Terror when it left port in 1845, I am officially labeling this build complete!

I am excited to start the next chapter in my modeling career, the 1931 Amerigo Vespucci, the Italian Navy training ship, which is still in service today. Follow along if you wish.

Clearway (Keith) much thanks for your help in understanding this wonderful ship and the help you gave willingly to a fellow modeler.

KeithS (the other Keith), thank you for your help in bouncing ideas around that made me work harder to make a better product.

and…to everyone else that stopped by to offer support, ideas and likes, a huge thank you! The help this modeling community provides is nothing short of wonderful.

7B2C8AE3-4B23-4222-8CB2-AFE88141651E.jpeg

E80BDAAC-8572-410D-99BC-9B2C0544407B.jpeg

Edited by DanielD

I want to cut individual longitudinal deck planks rather than lay the full strips and line them off.  I intend to draw lines on the sub-deck in order to stay parallel and not wander.  So many people seem to use contact cement for this as well.  Is that the best method rather than a titebond type glue?

33 minutes ago, jbcallender said:

I want to cut individual longitudinal deck planks rather than lay the full strips and line them off.  I intend to draw lines on the sub-deck in order to stay parallel and not wander.  So many people seem to use contact cement for this as well.  Is that the best method rather than a titebond type glue?

Hello jbcallendar, cutting individual planks is exactly what I did on my Terror. I used Titebond like you suggested and it works just fine. I used a quick set (5 min) version which gave me the ability to move things around until I was happy. The contact cement is too messy for me and and I work on small areas at a time…just wasn’t for me. Good luck on your project.

• 2 months later...
On 3/7/2021 at 9:52 PM, DanielD said:

Good evening everyone. Here is today’s update. I’ve been putting off this project for some time, the creation of the chainplates. I’m not using the ones that came with the kit as they are just simple wire representations. I purchased some pre-made chainplates, that of course requires modification 😬 and I want to stay consistent using chemically tinting the metal (which is a real pain), but looks good in the end. Just time consuming. Only about 60 more to do... what was I thinking.

8C7C5471-AFF3-41A5-AB96-28073DAC0415.jpeg

ED75C7B9-62B6-4BE9-A0D3-31808A679735.jpeg

Daniel, what is the makers/specs of the chainplates that you bought?  I don't like the kit ones, either.

Thanks, JeffC

9 hours ago, jbcallender said:

Daniel, what is the makers/specs of the chainplates that you bought?  I don't like the kit ones, either.

Good morning JeffC, I bought mine from Ages of Sail out of California, but they are an Amati product (AM4090/05) you can probably get from many places. https://www.agesofsail.com/ecommerce/fittings/rigging-fittings/deadeyes-chainplates/amati-chainplate-with-deadeye-5mm-am4090-05.html

Edited by DanielD