HMS Terror by DanielD - FINISHED - OcCre - Scale 1:75 - Second Build Started 10/4/2020

Good evening all. Thank you Keith (clearway) for your help in making me understand these boomkins. More or less finished the bow.

I guess is on to design the yards.

7FD61ED1-DDE6-4E8F-B1FE-DD3671DA185E.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening everyone. It’s been a while since my last update but I have been busy. I can’t believe how much work goes into the yards and gaff’s.

Thanks for the great examples Keith (Clearway) and for the info stores in Lee’s book. I could not do it without you.

0D734B50-5C98-44D6-B99D-9C662108214B.jpeg

52CBAB7F-5334-464B-B370-36691D00EE9A.jpeg

Coming along Daniel, yep can get a bit daunting when you see exactly how many fittings are on a yard (at least the topgallant doesnt have any battens in the middle and less blocks)! If following Keith S and myself with the azimuth compass post through the table and the confounded bridge i would get the base for the post sorted but still leave the bridge supports off once made to ease access to the mainmast pin rails (main reason you see the funnel and capstan missing from when i was rigging there).

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening all. I’ve been working on the sky bridge that somehow I missed in all the time I have poured over the drawings. Thanks to Clearway (Keith), Keith S, Keith Black, and iMustBeCrazy (Craig) for all your work in helping figure all this out.

Here is my interpretation of the Terror Sky bridge.

ACA93B01-29D5-4986-B3DA-F4BEEF0BB3C7.jpeg

4374E857-7E0C-459A-A322-173AF989EAFF.jpeg

E915087C-CC2D-4E34-8CC6-A7CF816DA924.jpeg

Thanks again to all the helpers in research for this wonderful ship HMS Terror!

Todays task, the azimuth that will sit on top of the mysterious post next to a US dime for comparison.

9D3487DD-F4BE-4ECC-8E1F-130DFFA99F88.jpeg

Edited by DanielD

Azimuth post created and square hole in table added. Another terror mystery solved thanks to Keith (clearway), Keith S, Keith Black, and Craig (iMustBeCrazy).

061B0411-FD56-4030-954C-5C35F8EA52A2.jpeg

25F7EB68-4E6F-4149-B08E-7A108C34F175.jpeg

2 hours ago, DanielD said:

Todays task, the azimuth that will sit on top of the mysterious post next to a US Dime.

Strangely I have a Dime sitting on my desk, it's a long way from home, before I picked it up I was visualizing a Nickle 😮 What size is the compass, 1/4" square? I must be crazy but you guys are nuts! All of you.

Edited by iMustBeCrazy

Craig.

I do know, that I don't know, a whole lot more, than I do know.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Completed....: 1:16 16' Cutter Scratch build.

Discussion....: Bounty Boats Facts

8 hours ago, iMustBeCrazy said:

Strangely I have a Dime sitting on my desk, it's a long way from home, before I picked it up I was visualizing a Nickle 😮 What size is the compass, 1/4" square? I must be crazy but you guys are nuts! All of you.

I just might be crazy! The azimuth above is about 4.5-5mm square x 3mm high (3/16” square). To make the compass dial I found a TrueType font of just compass roses and printed one to scale. A little brass work (😂 see what I did there) and some trim pieces…yes, a bit crazy.

Edited by DanielD

Good evening, today I finished up the yards for my HMS Terror and started on the next project…the sails. I have put so much time and effort into this model to make her as accurate as my skill level will allow, that using the out of scale sails that came with the kit seems like a slap in the face. So, I have decided to make my own sails based almost entirely out of Lees The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War 1625-1860.

Step 1: create a pattern to scale including the necessary corner or edge reinforcements. Below is my initial pattern for the mizzen driver (spanker) sail as compared to the kit version. The major difference is the panel seams.

883AF7E0-2B2C-44B1-A924-3689D17D6CC0.jpeg

Edited by DanielD

Daniel,

Kudos for replacing the sails.   Lees is a great book and mine is worn thin from use over the years. 

There is a great booklet on making sails to scale by David Antscherl for $5 at SeaWatch books (https://seawatchbooks.com/products/swan-iv-sail-making-supplement-from-the-revised-and-expanded-edition-by-david-antscherl)  as well as a you tube video by Tom Lauria that uses similar methods and compliment one another's methods.  www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_m_VWzk4w8     Both are worth studying.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Good afternoon all. I have completed the templates for all the sails on the Terror.

I have played around with using paper for the sails and I’m not liking the look, even though it may be more to scale as far as thread count. So I will be using some sail cloth from one of the big ship model manufactures.

Here are the templates to date… changes possible once I start assembling.

The grey parts are installed on the forward part of the sail and the red areas are for the aft portion of the sail.

DC665757-9D48-48A6-839B-3E2BD7D7B995.jpeg

1FA2CAFB-B524-4FCB-ADDE-C31E187207B5.jpeg

3F24BA66-A28D-47CD-B9A1-823856E4BC43.jpeg

1F7299D3-D656-43E6-AA97-7932C1B9CF5F.jpeg

193D3CE2-77D6-4D9B-8B9C-E312863267D1.jpeg

0C50B012-D138-4B99-BFA5-A48DD9064A38.jpeg

C34CED3A-FF76-46FE-A539-49A133B3EFB4.jpeg

3432082D-9075-443A-B129-6EAC78540C44.jpeg

ACE1564D-9F05-4004-B608-7E7E02B3D732.jpeg

B9C4CAD4-19B4-46D0-98B1-76FBFF9A0469.jpeg

Edited by DanielD

5 hours ago, clearway said:

Nice- now you know why i chickened out and used occres poor samples! That will be some stitching exercise😱. Will deffo look awesome though (don't be pinching any wedding dresses for the silk😁)

Keith

I might still chicken out, I spent a couple hours using scrap cloth to see how things would work…not successful yet! 😞

Good evening all, I’ve been working on my technique in making sails. I’ve had to adjust my patterns some and re-learn how to sew. Here is my 3rd attempt (the first 2 attempts were horrible) at making the mizzen upper driver. Of particular note is the correct, or very close panel width and the corner reinforcements. 

Next I will attempt to add the cord around the sail with the proper loops for rigging and attaching to the yard.

6903E91B-CFBF-4C6B-BB1D-5936D9F28A37.jpeg

6B2D7B54-6E1F-4A49-AD41-EA57902941C5.jpeg

Edited by DanielD

Good evening all, here is the next iteration. The spanker with corner reinforcement, proper panel width highlighted with stitching and the cord with attachment loops at the corners as depicted in Lee’s book.

5645880D-D45F-4C3E-A641-D00E0F56175B.jpeg

You maniac!😁😉😉 for the reef points i used some thin rigging thread from my stash and threaded  it so far through then ran a couple of stitches around where both sides met the sail to hold them in place along with a drop of dilute P.V.A. to stop the thread unravelling - also unlike me dont forget the reef points on the spanker🙄.

Keith

Wow, Daniel, I'm just now getting caught up on your log. Beautiful work! The sails are looking great!

Good evening all, below is an update on making my sails for the Terror. This is my last (hopeful) iteration of the process I will be using to manufacture the sails. Below is the actual sail cloth from one of the major model makers. In this picture I have the main mast course and top gallant sails with the scale panel width, with the sail reinforcements as depicted in Lee’s book for 1840-1845. what I have remaining is to serge the edges, but I need more practice with the serger sewing machine before I attempt the final version of the sails. Also need to do better attaching the reef points. Still a lot more to do…

Why did I decide to make my own sails? 😬

9A8BF1B4-792B-4C26-9C70-82F0E37781CC.jpeg

Edited by DanielD

Looks amazing Dan well done, i will be following closely. I am nearly ready to start my Terror build, Just assembled the keel and bulkheads, this will take me a long time but i will start a build log when i get home and that way everyone can jump in at each stage to advise before tackling each task. Deck planking to be started soon. I have Clearway available to impart his vast wisdom to me, i was hoping to get Keith S and yourself onboard also? I was thinking of installing candle effect Led's no spinning prop like you though, i have no idea about electrronics and was hoping you could advise should you have the time. I will beg if i have to 🤣

I think i will go for furled sails on mine just so we have some variety in our builds. 

Keep up the amazing work

Joe 

Edited by JDillon

Joe

If it moves Grease it if it doesn't Paint it.....

Current Builds: Occre, Polaris                                                          Shopping List: Vanguard, HMS Sphinx                            

Occre, HMS Terror                                                                            Vanguard, HMS Flirt

Occre, Endurance

Completed Builds: 0

wow m8y will be worth it in the end- i can't use a sewing machine to save my life - usually get mother in law to do panels for me and i hand sew the seams, but she is now in her late 70s so its a bit much for her eyesight these days. I would have had to handstitch all the panel lines hence the chickening out. However watched a u tube video of some one making silkspan (model aircraft tissue if looking for it in u.k.) and thought "if only i had watched this several months ago"!!!!!!

Keith

Don't quote me on this but i think Silkspan has been discontinued for a cheaper and more robust material from China, and is becoming extremly harder to find, i did try to source some but didn't have much luck, i have a model aircraft shop fairly local so im going to pop in there and ask next weekend as im going to fashion my Polaris sails with it and then unfurled sails for Terror.

Joe

Joe

If it moves Grease it if it doesn't Paint it.....

Current Builds: Occre, Polaris                                                          Shopping List: Vanguard, HMS Sphinx                            

Occre, HMS Terror                                                                            Vanguard, HMS Flirt

Occre, Endurance

Completed Builds: 0