HMS Terror by DanielD - FINISHED - OcCre - Scale 1:75 - Second Build Started 10/4/2020

On 10/9/2020 at 11:33 PM, DanielD said:

illuminators” glued in, but I’ll think of something, maybe a clear polished dowel that slides in to make a lens..

HO model train suppliers have a window glazing material that will work here.  I forget what they call it. It looks like thin white glue and it dries clear. Just spread a drop on the openings with a toothpick.   In addition to glazing windows I have used it to make “water” in some  buckets on a model barge. It is quite effective

This evening spent some time building some foremast dead eye hardware. Still some fine tuning and chemical blackening…but getting there.

21BA2CEB-1374-458A-A6F4-8A97806755A8.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Back in the shipyard working on the foremast. Slow progress, but moving forward…

CAA7D419-5E14-4DF8-A1E9-DF34E7B32536.jpeg

09E8170B-1083-4660-A789-59A7B4CDC443.jpeg

Edited by DanielD

• 1 month later...

More work finished on the main mast rat lines. I think I’m all half hitched out and I know there are a thousand more to go. 

Now to figure out the next step….hmmm…

18D152B2-EAD5-42D2-9296-ABA05CDB3D51.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good evening everyone. I’ve been putting off starting the mast standing rigging…but no more. Started the fore mast…slow steady progress.

1D850E06-708E-460B-8545-B44B513AD204.jpeg

75E18E89-C112-4966-B6B1-CB6AE830406F.jpeg

Edited by DanielD

Good evening all. As is the case with all good projects, one might learn more information information along the way. Dr. Betts book on the HMS Terror in hardback has not been and is still not available in the U.S.; however, I was able find a Kindle version. Looking through the book at the images and research I feel good about the “additions/ changes” I and others have made to the standard OcCre Terror kit. I did discover that there are differences in the standing rigging between Dr. Betts research and the OcCre plans I was following. Since I really just started the standing rigging, I chose to take a step backwards and fix a couple of lines, well, eight to be exact. Here is the updated model following Dr. Betts book.

E02FC25E-5828-4673-9A29-E78468AF5F68.jpeg

Edited by DanielD

I started the rigging on my LN like you, standing rigging. I had the shrouds all done (no rat lines) and someone pointed out I missed some cleats. And then as I started looking at things, discovered there was no way I was going to get lines tied to the belaying pins. Are you concerned about this?

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

10 hours ago, Dave_E said:

I started the rigging on my LN like you, standing rigging. I had the shrouds all done (no rat lines) and someone pointed out I missed some cleats. And then as I started looking at things, discovered there was no way I was going to get lines tied to the belaying pins. Are you concerned about this?

Good morning Dave and fellow Washingtonian,

I believe I have all the cleats and belaying pins installed based on Dr. Betts research of the Terror; however, attaching the rigging is always a challenge. I have a little experience with my Golden Hind I finished a couple of years ago, but it will still be a challenge. I have long hemostats for reaching across the deck to attached the lines to the belaying pins. Not easy, a delicate process, and very time consuming...

BTW, your LN is turning out wonderful. Keep up the great work.

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening all, more bowsprit work with much of the fore mast standing rigging finished.

Now back to rat lines…

9BEAE54E-4B6E-459C-9564-6ADC406C5459.jpeg

F7887096-0B55-431E-B121-BBD132BCF5CC.jpeg

Edited by DanielD

Good evening all. I think my eyes are a bit cross eyed with all the rat line work. Today I finished the main mast rat lines.

EADD11AC-D263-4A1B-B1CF-6C716A8C3C06.jpeg

Thanks for a little of your time and the likes! More work going on in the shipyard today. Finally finished the standing rigging on the main mast. Here is the latest update.

7EA19A56-DECE-442A-BD4F-79542D4D64B6.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Well friends, the shipyard has been slow this week, maybe it’s because rat lines was on the menu. Updated pictures.

54B39855-4A81-41B7-A2FB-D3B103D482AD.jpeg

B328374D-A42C-4411-BE9F-8837F4401F63.jpeg