Amerigo Vespucci by DanielD - OcCre - 1:100

Good evening mates, this is a good start on my Amerigo Vespucci. My goal for this build is to add as much real life detail my skill level allows.

9C4F258D-20B7-4BFD-AD5D-73E531883C36.jpeg

good look and hope yo can complete her faster than my unfinished one

Phoenix - Ex Amerigo Vespucci by Kevin- Panart- 1/84 - restarted June 2020 

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Good evening mates. Today I started the first of many enhancements to my Amerigo Vespucci, a motor to drive the propeller. The first images is a list of things that will be used in the engine room. A small geared 35 RPM 6 volt motor, a transmission, a drive shaft, the propeller, some wire, and a 6 volt regulator (not pictured).

The second image shows the first modification, removing the small drive shaft and drilling out the propeller for the new much longer version.

Next, determine the location of the engine room so it doesn’t interfere with the planking and allow enough room to install the transmission (harder than I thought). Drilling the hole for the drive shaft was a bit challenging as it needs to be in the center of the false keel and not waver left or right so the hole stays within the board.

And last thing tonight, test fit the engine, transmission, drive shaft. It all fits, a slight slant, but not enough to worry about. Next up, design the soft mount for the engine to keep the vibration and noise level down (this motor is very quiet, but vibration into the model would act like a speaker). Ahhh, but bed time so that for another day.

B3C65550-CC81-4132-B5BF-C30E659AD3B6.jpeg

54119D1F-38CF-4E5D-B301-62D5597AB815.jpeg

9AD13343-F559-4E7B-9FAB-B4197F3CBFBB.jpeg

7FE919E8-27DB-4183-9442-BDECDDC13F45.jpeg

methinks your motorised props are becoming a signature hallmark😉- are you going to go with lighting on this one, also maybe take a dremel to the prop and thin the blades down towards the edge sa little would make a massive improvement aesthetically.

Keith

Having had a real boat like this, have to ask. How do you keep the shaft log from getting water in it and destroying the wood? Is the hole (shaft log) large enough for no friction of the prop shaft in the wood?

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

1 hour ago, Dave_E said:

Having had a real boat like this, have to ask. How do you keep the shaft log from getting water in it and destroying the wood? Is the hole (shaft log) large enough for no friction of the prop shaft in the wood?

Well Dave, I don’t intend on floating this model, it’s just for looks. I did the same thing on my HMS Terror.

1 hour ago, clearway said:

methinks your motorised props are becoming a signature hallmark😉- are you going to go with lighting on this one, also maybe take a dremel to the prop and thin the blades down towards the edge sa little would make a massive improvement aesthetically.

Keith

Keith, I do plan to light her up, lower deck lighting, deck lights and if I can, the signature night lighting this vessel is famous for. We shall see 😊

Hello mates, tonight I wanted to more or less finish up the engine room. I have more work to do on the propeller, it’s just temporarily attached, but wanted to see if it works. Happy to say that all is going as planned.

C7753E60-6342-4F04-9810-64D137126804.jpeg

Good evening and thanks for stopping by. I’m working out some details I want to add to the decking design which requires me to at least rough build some of the structures on the lower deck. One of the changes I’m making is along the rear wall of the lower deck by creating a small alcove for the doors that leads to offices and conference rooms. The first image shows what is included in the OcCre plan. Next is an image of the actual ship in the same area, notice the alcove just to the right of the massive staircase. The last image is the start of this alteration for my Amerigo Vespucci.

Another change I’m considering is to cut the doors provided in the kit in half. This would allow me to present a single panel door similar to the real ship…hmmmm

5E44902A-16B6-460B-BA36-7FEDE75400B8.jpeg

8493B484-321E-4475-9E21-EBE3C7766710.jpeg

F888403B-7B26-409A-B56F-F297E16E9B5A.jpeg

Edited by DanielD

Good afternoon mates. Started working on my lower deck plan. I hope to be able to create some of the deck detail that exists on the real ship. One great thing about building a ship still in use and traveling the seven seas, is that there are a plethora of images online! This first image is a shot of the real AV, notice the deck detail circled in red. I’m planning on building as much of this detail as possible; however, I’ll be using 3 and 6mm planks to design the deck…still way out of scale, but any smaller would be too hard to work with and too small of detail. The next image is my drawing of what I plan to build, followed by my subfloor, or would that be subdeck, with my ideas transferred in pencil. The last images are a sample of what the decking will look like with the structures in place. Time to start building.

0388F877-E657-460D-A1C3-C2C2A18F4DA0.png

22813FC7-BE23-456B-9FC4-72692AD7181B.jpeg

D99698B9-3ED6-482C-83BC-F88CB07DEEC4.jpeg

DE7B7B6B-D110-47FF-B3A8-31AE279561F1.jpeg

E2A4E182-AAAC-438B-818C-E5499429C154.jpeg

2BE9275E-A0D3-4187-99DC-3584BD58F208.jpeg

Good afternoon mates, it’s been awhile since my last post, but I’ve been busy. Nearly finished with the lower deck with the Vespucci like detailing. A few more things to do then it’s time to seal the deck and get ready for lighting.

7E445B69-EF61-47E3-B925-1E7901A4B342.jpeg

5F1DD1DA-1480-41C1-BFBE-1691A6548A78.jpeg

51E208C9-6F6B-422D-8D21-A02FA65BB04A.jpeg

21FCF856-214C-4C23-AFDA-BECCBCED9953.jpeg

Edited by DanielD

Good evening everyone, I think this was a successful weekend. The images below are of the back wall on the lower deck. I’m fairly happy with the outcome and it’s the first of many lights to be installed.

0029D0F7-C77C-4C04-A100-443F4AF0679E.jpeg

5D080CF3-4D78-4DF7-8CBB-02332207CE94.jpeg

FDD2D64A-8B98-4273-8DA9-A0B73D18B5D2.jpeg

Edited by DanielD

I am doing the Occre kit as well, with I hope, full lighting!! So I shall keep watching yours so that you can make all the mistakes first!!

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Good evening mates, this weeks post is a big one for me and a lot of work. I have”nearly” finished the basic fire control room on the lower deck. Ended up building my own doors as the ones supplied in the OcCre kit are completely incorrect. Also, added lighting inside as well as outside the control room and added the emergency lights. I will have a control panel that I can selectively turn on/off lighting on this model so not all of it will be running all at once, but all on for ease of construction. All the lights are on in these images. Thanks a lot for stopping by.

7A2110E9-6B9A-4BA0-B762-8B8BEEDC2145.jpeg

6D00BB59-2C22-433D-86F6-815A4AFB68C0.jpeg

31714C14-5D7E-4DBA-A5A9-DE359CA63BCB.jpeg

4DF8E6D2-DD66-4D28-A533-26FBD0A3F94C.jpeg

Edited by DanielD

What voltage led's and colours are you using?

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

3 hours ago, Mike Dowling said:

What voltage led's and colours are you using?

Good morning Mike, the LEDs vary in voltage between 2.2 and 3.2 volts depending on the color. I’m adding a 480 ohm resister to each LED so that I can run between 6 and 12 volts without issues, I.e. a 9 volt battery. Additionally, I’m using a variable voltage regulator for each channel so that I can control the brightness of the LEDs. For example, the down lighting you see in the above images, I’m running very dim because running them at normal voltage is just way too bright, I think just 3 volts. I have planned 5 channels of lighting for this model. 2 separate warm white channels for under deck lighting so that I can have 4 settings, all off/ 1 or 2 on/both on, so that I can achieve a more realistic look of lights coming out of the port holes and there are a ton of them on the AV. Using a red and a flashing red LED for the emergency lighting, warm white down lighting, red and green side markers, an amber LED for the aft marker, and very bright red, white and green for the night up lighting that is characteristic of the docked Amerigo.  Well, I think that’s it but I might have missed something.

All of this is easily available from Amazon for less $40 USD.

Edited by DanielD

Thank you very much for your comprehensive reply. I think my lighting will be simpler although so far I have had to modify all the bulkheads to accommodate wiring and leds for the hull. I am not sure how I am going to deal with the deck lights yet.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Can you tell me where you found pictures of the real boiler/fire control room. I have had a good hunt but can't find any.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

35 minutes ago, Mike Dowling said:

Can you tell me where you found pictures of the real boiler/fire control room. I have had a good hunt but can't find any.

Mike, take a look at this…

https://www.tourmake.it/amerigovespucci

it’s a virtual tour of nearly the entire ship, inside and out. The only bad thing about this tour is that it is wonderful for what’s on or in the ship, but does not do justice for the hull/outside and, one room I’m still looking for pictures of is the inside of the “bridge” that is above the chart room, the one with the slanted windows. If you ever see any images of the inside of this area, please share.

Brilliant, thank you very much.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Ahoy mates, tonight I added some more detail to the fire control room that will be difficult to add once fully assembled. Also, I noticed when I had the lights on that the alcove was dim, and sure enough, I missed a light that exists on the real AV. So a quick add and I think looks much better. I also added the black detail on the lights to make them look more realistic. Thanks again for stopping by.

324C72C2-6CCD-4968-AE81-EE16AD3A7976.jpeg

Italian Navy training ship Amerigo Vespucci open to public - Global TimesI don't know if this is what you mean. I found it on google images of the ship.

Whilst I'm here, I have installed all my hull lighting but I am wondering how you have wired all the individual leds you have put on so far. If you are doing hull lighting how will you stop the light bleed from below? Sorry, so many questions for you.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Amerigo Vespucci: the secrets of the most beautiful ship in the world —  Veneto Secrets

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Good evening Mike, the images you posted are of the main bridge, which is housed in the building on the aft deck. 1st and 2nd images below.

The area/room I have found little about is the top of the third image. The “slanted” window area, which lies above the chart room on the fore deck. It also appears to have a glass roof, similar to what OcCre has in its AV plans. But what does the inside of this space look like? An alternate wheel house? A lookout bridge? A captains lounge? What is this space used for? I have searched high and low for images of this area, but found none. When the ship is open for visitors, this area is off limits so few if any armature pictures exist of this area. It’s also not included on the virtual tour that I like so well. Maybe someone who has served on the AV can shed some light?

B920DA27-4A75-4682-992D-16597E182414.jpeg

E7ED0C7C-4C9B-453A-96CD-7E736621D851.jpeg

9FC2AD11-F3C2-417A-B96A-E87A8ABE5FCE.jpeg

Edited by DanielD

On 2/22/2023 at 9:18 AM, Mike Dowling said:

Whilst I'm here, I have installed all my hull lighting but I am wondering how you have wired all the individual leds you have put on so far. If you are doing hull lighting how will you stop the light bleed from below? Sorry, so many questions for you.

I think you are talking about the interior lighting I have in the fire control/boiler room and the aft wall on the lower deck. I’ll take a picture tomorrow and post, but yes, light seeping under the walls was an issue and probably along the top of the walls too, but I’ve not addressed that yet. I used some scrap or spare 2mm x 4mm stock and glued it to the deck just inside the walls. I made it a tight fit so that my wall sections butted up against the added lumber, and when it’s time to permanently glue the walls in place, I’ll glue to these strips as well as the deck, or maybe just to the added lumber so no extra glue seeps out under the walls to become visible. By doing this, I created an overlapping hard barrier inside the walls, no light or at least very little will seep through. I think a picture will clear up what I’m trying to put into words.

Update: images added. 1st image displays the extra 2mm x 4mm lumber I added to make a light barrier that meets up with the interior of the building. 2nd image is the fire control room with all the lighting and 3rd shows how it all fits together. Since light travels in a straight line, it will be unavailable to seep under the walls when installed. I hope this helps…

D949E88A-9213-485E-9449-71F34F5AD8E4.jpeg

70150323-A352-4F72-8B06-74A7319F3EB1.jpeg

7EEB1F67-8399-46AA-9DBE-EFBD5AA2E3EE.jpeg

Edited by DanielD
Added images

Good evening mates, yesterday we experienced a massive surprise snowstorm here in the Pacific Northwest. I went to work yesterday with a forecast of a few flurries that would be gone by noon. By three in the afternoon we were shutting down operations and sending everyone home. I left at 4pm for my drive home that usually takes about 30 minutes. This day was very special as it took me over 10 hours to get home battling ice, snow, other drivers, and hours of boredom in stand still traffic, arriving after 2am. Needless to say, today was a snow day, which worked out well for modeling. As I’ve been installing more lights, the wire mess has become burden. So I spent the day tidying things up and building my temporary control panel. With this panel, I can turn on/off each feature on the model and combine lighting to create many effects. Eventually this panel will be part of the stand with all the electronics hidden. For now, I need access to adjust voltage settings to get the lighting effect in looking for. In this panel, lighted toggle push button switches and voltage regulators, all running off a single 9v battery. Eventually, I’ll run this off a 12v plug in power supply, but for now, the 9v will work nicely.

Oh, the missing switch was supposed to arrive today via amazon. Sadly, my order has been delayed due to weather.

2CE1C254-62AF-493E-9751-27DEFDF25590.jpeg

AABF4589-C2AD-483F-A381-5D10AA162C4E.jpeg

60C0BE10-5947-4D4A-AA1E-325935BAFBCB.jpeg