HMS Terror by DanielD - FINISHED - OcCre - Scale 1:75 - Second Build Started 10/4/2020

3 hours ago, JDillon said:

i think Silkspan has been discontinued

Last time I purchased some I bought it straight from the manufacturer and I believe you still can do that but I didn’t go through with a purchase (and shipping may be cost prohibitive depending where it’s going):

https://sigmfg.com/products/sig-silkspan-tissue

8 hours ago, JDillon said:

I was thinking of installing candle effect Led's no spinning prop like you though, i have no idea about electrronics and was hoping you could advise should you have the time. I will beg if i have to 🤣

Joe, thank you for the kind comments! 

if you plan to put flickering LEDs under the deck so you can see them through the skylights, be sure to get all that done before you do the first layer of planking as it’s easier to hide all the wires. The parts are easy to find in the US, not sure about where you live, but I’ll be happy to share what I used. If I were to do it again, I would build a power jack into the stand and the keel of the ship instead of having an on board battery. I used a 9v rectangle battery under the capstan. While a good hiding place, it will be a chore to change the battery once all the rigging is finished. Oh well, live and learn. 

There are many flickering LEDs available. Find something you like and note the required voltage. It’s best to use something around 5v for this build. Avoid the 12v versions if you can. If using 5v LEDs, you can do what I did and use a 5v regulator. This way you can use a variety of voltage inputs, a 9v battery, 4 AA batteries, or even a plug in power brick or usb charger, and the regulator will drop voltage down to 5v for the LEDs. I know it sounds difficult, but it’s really not that bad. When you are ready, let me know. I can easily design a circuit that will work for your LEDs of choice.

Best of luck on your build. I’ll follow along once you get it started.

11 hours ago, JDillon said:

Looks amazing Dan well done, i will be following closely. I am nearly ready to start my Terror build, Just assembled the keel and bulkheads, this will take me a long time but i will start a build log when i get home and that way everyone can jump in at each stage to advise before tackling each task. Deck planking to be started soon. I have Clearway available to impart his vast wisdom to me, i was hoping to get Keith S and yourself onboard also? I was thinking of installing candle effect Led's no spinning prop like you though, i have no idea about electrronics and was hoping you could advise should you have the time. I will beg if i have to 🤣

I think i will go for furled sails on mine just so we have some variety in our builds. 

Keep up the amazing work

Joe 

My intention is to depict the ship rigged for steam, as she might have looked if an open lead had just opened and provided them a chance to proceed under power. Therefore I am making silkspan sails which will be loosely or perhaps even incompletely furled with a minimum of gaskets. The upper yards will be lowered, which I don't see in a lot of display models. And possibly I might leave one or two staysails completely unfurled. Haven't decided. I want her to look as though she is in transition from sail to steam, as though the engineer had only just reported the engine ready to go. 

I'm planning on using silkspan stretched on a frame with a light coat of acrylic paint. They will be cut out once dry, and I am hoping that they can be misted with a light spritz of water and hung on the model while damp, which will make them flake down realistically. I haven't tested this yet but will probably happen over the winter. 

Edited by Keith S

6 hours ago, clearway said:

Hey Keith hows it going m8y? the video i watched is by Tom Lauria, i just searched "making silkspan sales" on google.

The other Keith

That's the one. They look astonishingly realistic. I'm just pondering at what stage they should be installed. Once all the shrouds are on, it might be a bit tricky.

Good evening mates, below is my first completed scratch built sail, the main top gallant. Included is scale panel width, reinforcements, and reef points. I have several other sails almost ready for prime time, so coming soon.

BBDE309B-AB69-4F72-9AED-75AB5532436B.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening all, it’s been awhile since I’ve made a post. Work continues on the hand made sails! The images below are my final iteration, with still a few more things to add, but getting close. 

All of these sails have scale appropriate panels, sail reinforcements as per Lee’s book, and I have the corner reef points completed. Still have the edge reef points to do and some finishing touches.

981341FC-BAF8-4007-85F0-59EDAEA23FBA.jpeg

B37A6A1C-3233-44BB-8ACB-4194C17CBB52.jpeg

650C195C-6A81-4D84-A3A7-87FE6AC4F601.jpeg

E53E6967-0191-42D9-8906-304582FA93AF.jpeg

Good evening mates,

Today I attempted to make the telltales on one of the scratch built sails. My goal is to make them look like one of the 1845 images we have all studied (portion of image below). I tried a dozen ways to make the telltales, with knots, without knots, making knots before attaching to sail…nothing was working as the telltales would project in all directions, and what I wanted is for them to fall straight down. I finally came up with a way that works for me. Below is the first of two rows of telltales.

40CDE142-6FEC-4D03-B0A0-3B69D5633A12.jpeg

F3FA5CF5-4979-4BB5-8EB0-DAC583B7F43B.jpeg

EFA09202-3BAF-4300-AD64-476335E544CB.jpeg

Edited by DanielD

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

It's been awhile since I made a post, things have been a bit out of sorts at the home front recently. We have a human caused forest fire that is just a few miles away from our home and town and had, for several days, been on Level 2 evacuation notice (be ready to leave at a moments notice). We are no longer in danger and they have dropped our evacuation level, but are still cautious as the fire is not fully contained (now at only 20%). Any change in wind direction or intensity may heighten our concerns again. Starting tomorrow (Friday), we are expecting to get some rain in the area adding up to about 4" over the next 10 days...so glad to see the rains coming.

I plan to get back in the shipyard later today or tomorrow and get back to installing my scratch built sails.

Well mates, she looks a bit of a mess at the moment, but I have all the lines for the fore course run. Now just need to tension them and tie them down…

B4AB2891-9C28-4DAB-A8B8-80EEC7FF4856.jpeg

Looking good so far Daniel- let the fun begin! When rigging mine i didn't do the buntlines though didn't have a great many belaying pins left over spare so suspect the buntlines  would have shared a belaying pin for same part of sail if that makes sense.

Also great to hear you escaped the wildfire- must have been hairy!

Keith

Good afternoon everyone, the shipyard was active today with the tedious task of tensioning the lines of the fore course. I had to design a couple new tools to help with hooking the lines to the belaying pins, but I have a technique that is working for me.

Now on to the next sail…

BC99BE04-A243-43BD-913B-3943F5E996E8.jpeg

D4F86993-8B31-4E6D-B8DF-D87EE2114810.jpeg

D4DC47D2-6B62-43F9-BD5C-B46D39E680BD.jpeg

6A62DD70-04C8-4349-8F24-EB5D88EE4A06.jpeg

Edited by DanielD

Good evening everyone, is been a few days since my last update. I have completed fashioning the hand made fore top sail and have started attaching it to the ship…slow steady progress.

5171AEDD-6D12-42CC-B39B-FE9170A38A43.jpeg

Good morning everyone, I have finally finished the fore mast and its sails. Well, except for some minor touch ups and rope coils.

5F057198-69F0-4A0D-91ED-AEAFED1C14A3.jpeg

Edited by DanielD

This is coming together so nicely, Daniel! Beautiful work!

I'm curious about your plans for the other three lifeboats. Will you be hanging them from davits?

16 minutes ago, HakeZou said:

This is coming together so nicely, Daniel! Beautiful work!

I'm curious about your plans for the other three lifeboats. Will you be hanging them from davits?

Thank you for your kind comments!

As you probably know, the Terror launched in 1845 with 9 small boats on board, of several different sizes. I plan to have representations for all 9 boats. I have the largest one lashed to the mid deck. 4 will hang from the curved davits mid ship and near the stern with one hanging from the stern davits. The Terror launched with two sets of steel davits closer to the bow, one set on each side, but these were unhooked and sent back to England on the supply ships and the small boats attached to them stuffed somewhere else on board. I plan to make the steel davits and have two more small boats hang from them. Counting these all up, that makes only 8…I don’t want to put one on the ice bridge as I want to leave that open to view all the cool stuff in that area…so, at the moment I’m thinking of putting the last small boat on a set of skis, like the ones I made for the larger boat lashed to the deck, and display this last boat next to the stand.

Yeah- having the same dilema here Daniel- i was going to have the two whale boats on the skids til the work on the bridge and azimuth compass post makes it look wrong with the boats up there- on the plans it does look like some boats were placed on deck beside near the wheel on the port side.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon mates. It's been a while since my last post. I've been working on the main sails. I can't believe how much work goes into the sails before attaching them to the ship! I'll have photo updates soon.

Good evening everyone. While I know I have at least a month of work remaining on the HMS Terror, I have been keeping an eye out for my next project. I more or less had decided on a couple of possibilities and the Admiral surprised me with one of my choices for our anniversary…the Amerigo Vespucci by OcCre 1:100. I will finish the Terror before starting the Vespucci, but I’m already ordering and thinking about all the upgrades 😬.

B347CDC6-6D89-4665-96B4-C48F6081DF0D.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Well mates, it’s been awhile since I made an update, but I have been busy on the Terror, just not a lot of visual progress. In this update I have finished the running rigging on the main mast…can’t believe how many lines need to be run and I’m sure I have missed some.

B4F7A055-B1D5-4844-B68D-CFFB771F458E.jpeg

A58D5A08-3F36-4C47-BBAA-A2E43DE52789.jpeg

3B57B570-DF22-4707-8C73-18D805BF51FB.jpeg

Hello everyone, today I spent nearly all day working on the gaff and driver sail! I had no idea how much work went into this one Sail!

One more sail to attach…for another day.

3161D5BC-320D-4848-B38A-B2762B6DF3D5.jpeg

847D2AEB-D4C7-4E3E-BD57-C677EF5C9B67.jpeg

Edited by DanielD

Gets interesting trying to rig with all those lovely thread catching deck fittings! Why i left a few things loose till i finished tying off. Regards amount of lines - i missed off the buntlines and didn't have that many pins spare (they must have doubled up using one belaying pin for same set of buntlines).

Keith