Building the Mayflower by Billing Boats. Neither kit 801 (which I have) or the newer one have much plans detail and very little furnishings on the deck (water pump, windlass ect.). It also doesn't have nor show where the Capstan is located or if it has one. Would any of you builders of the Mayflower from other kits have one? Does anyone know if it had one or where it was located? I'm guessing the forward part of the main deck. Thanks for any assistance.

Allen

Current Builds: Mayflower - 1:60; Golden Hind - 1:50

Past Builds: Marie Jeanne, Bluenose, Bluenose II, Oseberg, Roar Ege,

Waiting to Build: Swift

Allen,

Several year’s ago David Antscherl published an excellent article in the Nautical Research Journal about a model of Mayflower that he built based on original period shipbuilding documents.  If you have not already done so, I suggest that you order a reprint from the NRG office.

Roger

Between the main and mizzen masts on the upper deck is a good place.

red bay.pdf

( if the link doesn't work , page 11 of the Pelican build)

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

On 10/16/2020 at 12:22 PM, Roger Pellett said:

Allen,

Several year’s ago David Antscherl published an excellent article in the Nautical Research Journal about a model of Mayflower that he built based on original period shipbuilding documents.  If you have not already done so, I suggest that you order a reprint from the NRG office.

Roger

Did the article have the capstan information?

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

I don’t remember.  No one knows if Mayflower even had a capstan. I mentioned the article because it describes construction of a carefully researched Mayflower model or more accurately, Mayflower type ship, using available primary source material.

People spend $100’s of dollars, pounds, euros, etc. buying model kits that when assembled will supposedly produce a museum quality result.  The research, decisions, and compromises that went into producing the kit are unknown to the kit buyer.

I take the opposite approach.  I spend $0.00 on kits but am willing to spend money on research before beginning construction of a model.  A very cost effective research aid is the library of articles from the Nautical Research Journal.  The two CD set of back issues sells for a fraction of the price of a kit.

Roger

The William Baker plans show the capstan on the Upper Deck about 10' aft of the mainmast, and as you'd expect that is where it is on Mayflower II (built from Baker's plans).   It's darned hard to find pictures on the web of the capstan.   But I plan to drive down to Plymouth next week or the week after and, to the extent I can, take photos of details like that.

Bob

current build 

Dutch 17th Century Pinas - Kolderstok - Scale 1:50 - Cross-Section

upcoming builds                               past builds

Statenjacht - Kolderstok - 1:50                                         USS Peary (DD 226) - Tehnoart Ltd - 1:96 (gallery)

Fluytschip - Kolderstok - 1:72                                            USS DeHaven (DD 727) - Tehnoart Ltd - 1:192

back on the shelf                                                              USS Robert E. Peary (FF 1073) - 1:250

Mayflower - Model Shipways - 1:76.8   

I was just thinking, if someone had the information, they might share it, instead of sending the questioner off to a source that might, or might not, have the information they were looking for...  Maybe David Antscherl could share.

Here is a plan from the book :

The Frigate Constitution and Other Historic Ships

by F. Alexander Magoun

Mayflower.thumb.jpg.dcfa824a67e67f0554f52cb038803e98.jpg

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Here's the links to two other kit manufacturers for the Mayflower, hope it helps, as both have capstans in their plans.

Model Shipways Mayflower plans

Artesania Latina Mayflower

Samuel Pepys notes in his diary on 19 July 1667: "the Dutch fleets being in so many places, that Sir W. Batten at table cried, By God,says he, I think the Devil shits Dutchmen."