Golden Hind 1575 by bosco72 - Airfix Classic - 1:72 - first ever model build

You may find that these are discussed in the mayflower book. If so take the size he suggests multiply by the mayflower kits scale and divide by the Golden Hinds scale. This will give you your size.

Regarding rigging, it is a lot easier if you know what each item's purpose is as then  you can see if it would work.

You wont go wrong using that book, I learnt my rigging from these books and now only use the expensive books such as James Lees, for more detail due to changes made for specific dates. Read the whole book but going straight to chapter 8 he tells you when to make the modifications and to apply those awkward to reach blocks. Shame you didn't do the mayflower first as the only thing you will find is the the reference to part numbers is incorrect. However, i used this book for my Golden hind without issue.

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

1 hour ago, Thunder said:

You may find that these are discussed in the mayflower book. If so take the size he suggests multiply by the mayflower kits scale and divide by the Golden Hinds scale. This will give you your size.

Regarding rigging, it is a lot easier if you know what each item's purpose is as then  you can see if it would work.

You wont go wrong using that book, I learnt my rigging from these books and now only use the expensive books such as James Lees, for more detail due to changes made for specific dates. Read the whole book but going straight to chapter 8 he tells you when to make the modifications and to apply those awkward to reach blocks. Shame you didn't do the mayflower first as the only thing you will find is the the reference to part numbers is incorrect. However, i used this book for my Golden hind without issue.

The book is interesting and the history part is decently put together.

I think for the scale it would be a mix of sizes, comprising of 7mm 5mm and 3mm triangular deadeyes. This was also mentioned here on an earlier post. I just need to figure out which sizes go where and try and find someone selling those sizes.

Also I still need to convince myself I want to, spend the extra time and money. 

14 hours ago, bosco72 said:

Thinking of adding in triangular deadeyes as the plastic ones with the kit look bad and have bothered me from the beginning. What size would be best? Thanks. 

When I look at the photos, the plastic triangular deadeyes in the kit seem to be of an appropriate size for the scale, so perhaps you could measure them in mm and then order order the needed quantity of that size.  Note that the deadeyes for the upper masts may be of smaller sizes, so be sure to measure them, too.

40 minutes ago, Jeff T said:

When I look at the photos, the plastic triangular deadeyes in the kit seem to be of an appropriate size for the scale, so perhaps you could measure them in mm and then order order the needed quantity of that size.  Note that the deadeyes for the upper masts may be of smaller sizes, so be sure to measure them, too.

I did measure them with digital calipers the other day. Largest are about 4.5mm and the smallest are around 2mm. I was thinking going with this set. 

https://www.hismodel.com/articles-detail-1488

Not sure if I'm allowed to post that link, apologies if not. 

On 23/12/2020 at 6:29 PM, kirill4 said:

Good day,

Dear bosco72,

Studing your model pictures I saw You did your standing rigging in some  wrong way...

sorry for that stupid question,may be You did it in purpose or why?

*it looks like You did all shrouds and stays of the same thickness( sizes),normaly they must be different in sizes!

*wrong way of location shrouds loops and stays...normaly it should be  secured above tops plarform,on the mast tops, but You placed them  under top platforms...

If there is intention to make rigging in more right /correct way, I would like to recommend You to read this easy for reading  books( Anderson and Mondfeld), in this books You could found condenced information practically regarding each important rope of rigging of 16- 17 centure vessel.

A  few readen pages will serve you very good when You will be busy with  rigging your model.

There You could find information about purpose and sizes of each important ropes and rigs of the old fasion vessel as well as tables( in Mondfeld book) with rope sizes in proportions to rigs/or main mast dimension/ diam.

Below I gave some simplified picture with precalculated rigging rope sizes, calculation based on information from this books.

There is exell table for automatic calculation ropes sizes of standing rigging as well

Main stay size( diam) calculated in proportion to main mast diam.

0.166 of main mast , all other ropes sizes calculation based on main stay diam.

Wish You all the Best!

Kirill

on the pictures dimensions given in mm

roughly says , they could be used for the your model scale, strait from pictures

Screenshot_20201223-210728_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201223-210904_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

8~17.JPG

9~10.JPG

10~9.JPG

standing rigging thickness.xls 20.5 kB · 1 download

Thanks again for the info, it's much appreciated. Should I work off the images, the spreadsheet, or work from the diameter of the main mast? 

Good day,

If You have time,would be better  first of all to read that book, R.C .Anderson...

Not ness-ry to read it all in one time..

read it in portion, when You will be busy with shrouds - read article about shrouds , busy with stays - to read in article all regarding stays,

and so on...book devided for section, so it will perfectly quide You in rigging!:)))

You could first work with table , and calculate all standing rigging sizes... table use diam.main mast for calculations...

Images could be used for studing rigging lines and as referens for better understanding how it should looks like ...

All the best!

If I'm honest, I'm unsure of how the sizes are worked out, the paragraph in the above book looses me. 

I get,

Main Stay should be about 1/6 of the widest circumference of the main mast. (which in my case is 1mm)

I get

The fore stay should be 4/5 of the main stay. (which in my case is 0.8mm)

Then I'm usure as to which I'm basing the rest of the measurements on, as the book does not state after that, is it the 1mm or the 0.8mm. Or are the measurements taken from the last measurement worked out (if that was the case the thread would start to get almost invisible) 

Much appreciated if anyone has read 'the rigging of ships, in the Days of the spritsail topmast' and has a greater understanding of this paragraph.

Thanks in advance. Happy to post the paragraph if I am allowed. 

Edited by bosco72

Good day,

Did You try to use exel table?

for auto calculationcall of all of your standing riggings?

first You need calculate your main stay diam. manualy = 0,166 x biggest main mast diameter

second You should fill results into green cell in the table,all other sizes will be calculated auto

Edited by kirill4

51 minutes ago, kirill4 said:

first You need calculate your main stay diam. manualy = 0,166 x biggest main mast diameter

second You should fill results into green cell in the table,all other sizes will be calculated auto

Did this, got some numbers, I think I have most of those sizes in threads, or very close,. So I'm waiting for dead eyes to arrive.

I think it is asking a lot of you to use a book like Anderson's especially as of a later date and allowing for locating the information you need and noticing not to use dater that is specific to ships of the line or with a sprit sail top mast. That is why i chose the mayflower book as it is the same period and same mast / sail configuration. Another book useful to you is the 'Susan Constant 1605'

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

14 minutes ago, Thunder said:

I think it is asking a lot of you to use a book like Anderson's especially as of a later date and allowing for locating the information you need and noticing not to use dater that is specific to ships of the line or with a sprit sail top mast. That is why i chose the mayflower book as it is the same period and same mast / sail configuration. Another book useful to you is the 'Susan Constant 1605'

I like the Noel C L Hackney books, the R C Anderson book is hard going, but very informative. 

I have a book about the Susan Constant, by Brian Lavery, its a very well put together book. 

Good day,

I Agree with Thunder , There is sence, to use more specific book ,such as devoted to Mayflower or Susan Constant where is information about english galleons let say - concentrated :)))...

I advise to use R.C.Anderson book just because I used it when was busy with  rigging of my model, unfortunately or not, but that time I didn't have Noel C L Hackney books about Mayflower...

I had book" Susan Constant "but didn't use it in such grade as I used R.C. Anderson...don't know why, may be Anderson's book seems to me more informative and I consider it as prime source of information because of author "background" ....and still love it! :)

by the way,I remember

in that time when I was trying to learn galleon rigging and to make rigging plans for my model using informatiin from Anderson book, I ve made some sketchs for better understanding how rigging could be done on my model  

it was just experiment with rigging/which  I was interesting too much,but 1250399063_commonview.thumb.jpg.999754b48dae837fce18b0b5276f3ca1.jpgmasts and spars fashion was left without changes ,as it was reproduced in the kit

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello bosco, I never thought to see this kit built in such a quality built. Thank you for the sharing. Great work and research you did! 

"Let's add every day 1/2 hour of

modelship building to our

projects' progress..."

Take care!

Christian Heinrich

OverTheWaves.jpg.534bd9a459123becf821c603b550c99e.jpg

simple, true and inpretentious motto of ROYAL LOUIS, 1668

Sunking's mediter. flagship most decorated ocean-going ship 

Ships on build:

SAINT PHILIPPE, 1693: 

1st rang French 90-gun ship - Lavente flagship (based on Heller SR - 1/92 & scratch in 1/64) 

TONNANT, 1693: 

1st rang French 90-gun ship - sister of SAINT PHILIPPE (mock-up/test-object for S.P. - scratch in 1/64) 

Projects in planing:

L'AURORE, 1766:

French Pleasure Corvette (after Ancre plans - scatch in 1/64)

Some Spantaneous Short Term Projects

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I can't believe its been nearly a year, I'm itching to get back into this. Loads been going on. Kitchen renovations are nearly done. Just putting natural slate slabs down for the floor, absolute nightmare to cut with the angle grinder. We have had covid in the house so it's slowed everything down a bit. I have increased my kit stash considerably, certain kits have become hard to find and very expensive. I will be back on this build in the next couple of weeks.

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, bosco72 said:

More than 6 months later still no progress, very disappointed that I've not had chance or the time. All the while my collection of kits grows. I'm going to force myself to get back onto this build in the coming weeks.

I may understand your frustration.  I am struggling with finding uninterrupted time here and there to devote to my own build, which seems to be at a snail’s pace, and it will probably be years before I finish it.  I have to convince myself that someday I will see it finished — keeps me going.