Duchess of Kingston 1778 by rafine - Vanguard Models - 1:64

This looks really beautiful.  The level of detail in this kit is stunning, and it all looks well conceived and engineered.  You’re doing a wonderful job with it!

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

Currently building:  Brig Sloop HMS Flirt - Vanguard Models

Completed"Lady Isabella" Scottish Fishing Zulu - Vanguard Models

Thanks so much Erik.

Jim, I used a combination of medium CA on certain parts and Micro Krystal Klear, not technically a glue, on the thin decorative pieces attached to the sides of the hull and the head.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I have now begun work on the masting and rigging. The first work was to construct and mount the lower masts. This involved shaping the mast heads, adding the cheeks, making up and mounting  the platform assemblies, doing the wooldings, adding  deadeyes and blocks, and mounting the completed assemblies. Blocks attached to the head will not be done until after the lower shrouds and stays are in place. Over the years, I have settled on my own sequence of steps in the rigging process. I will proceed by doing the lower shrouds and stays before constructing and mounting the upper mast sections. The rigging will go from the mizzen forward to maximize access.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_b67.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b68.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b69.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b6a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b6b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b6c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b6d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b6e.jpeg

Excellent work. I wish I'd followed your lead in rigging the lower masts first on my Speedy build. I followed the kit instructions and completed each mast assembly before rigging, then cursed having to seize the shrouds and stays round the mastheads in situ.  I'm currently repeating the curses as I struggle with the topmast shrouds.

However I must say you're brave fitting the railings on the tops at this stage. If I did that I'd be sure to break them before I'd finished rigging! 

Derek

Edited by DelF

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Thanks so much Glenn, Matt, Derek and the "likes".

My methods and sequence are what I have come to be comfortable with over a long period of time. I don't claim them to be the best or only way to do things and I know from discussions on this site and elsewhere  that there are others who disagree, particularly  about rigging from the mizzen forward. My only concern is with the best methods for me. If they work for others, all the better. Like you, I learned the hard way that it is easier for me to rig shrouds and stays before upper mast sections are in place.

Bob