Duchess of Kingston 1778 by rafine - Vanguard Models - 1:64

Always so precise. Very nice job, Bob. The model seems really well thought out.

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all for the comments and "likes".

I've now completed the second planking (it took a while). The planking has been sanded and given one coat of Wipe-on Poly. I like the look of the pear. In fact, I like it enough to consider not painting below the water line. I'd appreciate any thoughts on that.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_b0a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b0c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b0f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b11.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b13.jpeg

Really Great planking!

From what I’ve seen the painting on this ship really makes it pop. Rusty’s white hull against the pear looks really good. If it were mine I’d paint it, there is still plenty of pear to be seen

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Beautiful work on that planking! Tough call to paint the waterline or not. While I do agree with Glenn if it was my build,  but since it’s isn’t I’ll speak from the peanut gallery - I think that it would be very interesting to see what she looks like unpainted as there as several logs showing her waterline painted. 

Whichever way you go she’ll be stunning!

Edited by VTHokiEE

I agree with the others saying paint below the waterline. Love the contrast that provides. You can't go wrong either way though Bob. 

Looking good!

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Wonderful planking job, Bob! Tough call on painting the hull...that pear is beautiful...

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Excellent work on the hull Bob. On painting, I agree with the majority view.  Although following the kit's colour scheme would cover some of your fine planking, I think the overall effect would be to enhance the pear that shows and produce a very attractive model. 

You and the other Duchess builders are making me itch to get started on my own kit, and you are weakening my resolve to finish Speedy first!

Best wishes

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Thanks to all for the nice comments, opinions on lower hull painting, and "likes". It would appear that there is general agreement to paint, and I think that you've convinced me. 

Bob

Very nice work Bob,  and a Happy New Year to you.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks OC and happy New Year to you, as well.

A small update. I removed the temporary beams and then the bulkhead tabs, using a chisel and finger pressure. Anything remaining was sanded flush. Next, I added the two deck pieces. These required a small amount of sanding for a snug fit. Although I was tempted, after seeing Rusty's planked decks, I chose to go with the kit decks.

Next,  I added the inner bulwark pieces. These required a bit more sanding and tweaking than I had expected, but turned out just fine. Lastly, I put a coat of Wipe-on Poly on the decks and the inner bulwarks.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_b16.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b19.jpeg

5 hours ago, rafine said:

Although I was tempted, after seeing Rusty's planked decks, I chose to go with the kit decks.

I think the laser etched deck looks pretty darn good, Bob. 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Just started following your build, Bob. Well done so far, and a really great job on the second planking. Inspiring!  

I’ve been building another of Mr. Watton’s kits, and I have to say the design and engineering has been impressive.  Enjoy!

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

Currently building:  Brig Sloop HMS Flirt - Vanguard Models

Completed"Lady Isabella" Scottish Fishing Zulu - Vanguard Models

Looking really nice Bob!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

15 hours ago, rafine said:

I 've  decided to do this one pretty much straight from the box.

That's what I did with the Zulu, Lady Isabella. This kit is great and I don't foresee making many, if any more changes.   

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

A number of things have been accomplished. Firstly, I masked and painted the appropriate areas of the upper hull blue and red. Next, I added the cap rails, after painting them black. After that, I added the upper rail patterns, after painting the appropriate areas black. Finally, I painted the wales black and glued them in place. 

Before moving on to the transom, I have a question for Chris and Jim. The plans show the transom painted blue, while the prototype and the instructions show it painted red. Which is correct? I have the same question about the quarter galleries, although  the plans make no reference to color.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_b1d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b1f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b22.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b28.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b26.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b2e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b30.jpeg

I painted the lower stern panel blue. I painted the transom red which looks really nice with the blue, gold and white. I painted the quarter galleries as shown in the manual, black background with red infills and gold decorations and white window frames.

Edited by glennard2523

Glenn (UK)

Hi Bob. Looks real nice.

I too painted as seen in the instructions not the plans. It's your ship so whatever is your paint scheme it's right. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Really striking colours there Bob  - you are doing a fabulous job  - really enjoying what you are doing.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Lately, I've been moving along in no particular order or sequence, but just kind of "doing things. These have included doing the transom and stern moldings, the port wreathes, the side windows with their decoration, and the quarter deck bulkhead. 

Some thoughts about choices or changes I've made: 1) all of the windows are glazed with Micro Krystal Klear, which is clear and translucent and a longtime preference of mine; 2) the transom is  painted blue, with red above the windows, rather than all red. This matches the transom on Winchelsea, which I am building concurrently; the stern moldings were left natural, rather than painted gold. Again, a personal preference; finally, not withstanding the near unanimous opinion of those who responded to my question, and my own response to those opinions, I have decided not to paint the hull white below the waterline. I just like the way it looks natural.

fullsizeoutput_b34.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b3c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b3a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b40.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b39.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b3b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b3f.jpeg

Very very nice Bob   - a real  feast on the eye.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.