Duchess of Kingston 1778 by rafine - Vanguard Models - 1:64

Great work Bob. I hope you're enjoying it as much as I am.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

The following have now been completed: 1) painting and installation of the PE decoration on the hull; 2) painting, glazing and installation of the quarter galleries; 3) installation of the channels; 4) installation of the hull steps.

The gold paint that I have used is an antique or old gold and is not as bright as others have used. I prefer a subdued look, but I can understand how others  prefer the "pop" of a brighter gold. Although I am intrigued by use of floor polish to attach the PE, I chose to use a method that I have used before. I used the same Micro Krystal Klear that I use for glazing as an adhesive to attach the PE. It is very easy to  use and leaves no visible  residue. I completed the process by applying a coat of Wipe-on Poly over the entire area.

On the quarter galleries, I again used blue, rather than red, as the background color.

I have also begun work on the head, but will leave that for the next update.

Bob

IMG_0671.JPG

fullsizeoutput_b45.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b46.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b47.jpeg

Nice work, looks very good. You are making very good progress.

I have just completed the assembly of the 6 off 4-pounder cannons. I should be moving on to yards and masts next week. I'm waiting on a delivery of some thin fly tying thread I've ordered before I can start rigging the cannons.

Glenn (UK)

Very nice Bob, I like your color choice!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

That is looking Beautiful Bob  - you have nailed it with the colour balance.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks so much OC and the "likes".

A lot of different items have now been done. They include: the rudder, tiller and tiller housing; the wheel and the rigging for the wheel and tiller; the binnacle; the curved stairway and the railing and coaming for it; deck eyebolts and ringbolts on quarter deck and main deck; the mizzen bitts and belaying pins; quarterdeck timberheads; bulwark eyebolts, staghorns and cleats and drilled holes  for the bulwark ringbolts for the breach ropes.

A few comments on this work: 

The blocks for the tiller and wheel rigging are really small. I wasn't sure how my aged hands and eyes would do with them, but it turned out well enough to get me thinking about gun tackle rigging again.

I pinned the binnacle to the deck because it just seemed so fragile.

The ringbolts for the breach ropes won't be fitted until the cannon are in place.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_b4b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b4a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b4c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b4d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b4e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b4f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b50.jpeg

IMG_0683.jpg

fullsizeoutput_b48.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b52.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b54.jpeg

Coming along nicely Bob. As far as canon rigging goes I'm gonna play with one and see how much tackle to add and what looks good.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Beautiful work.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Great work, and looks very nice.

The 4 offshot garland assembly really tested my patience and eyesight.

You'll be building the masts and yards before long. All the dowels have be cut to length on my build. I have completed shaping the bowsprit, jibboom and spirtsail. I'm now working on the fore mast assembly.

Glenn (UK)

1 hour ago, rafine said:

The blocks for the tiller and wheel rigging are really small. I wasn't sure how my aged hands and eyes would do with them, but it turned out well enough to get me thinking about gun tackle rigging again

Bob, I can't see any evidence of aging hands nor eyes on your ship. Immaculate work that I am enjoying to the fullest!

Current Build- HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48

Thanks so much Rusty, OC, Glenn, Ron and Matt for the generous comments and thanks also to the "likes.

Rusty, I'm going to do the breach ropes for sure. The tackle are now a 50-50 proposition.

Ron, trust me that when you get old, some things just get harder to do. I'm just very grateful that I can still do them.

Matt, i'm still pleasantly surprised each time I get to a new part, to see just how well done this kit is.

Bob

".

7 hours ago, rafine said:

The tackle are now a 50-50 proposition.

I agree with Ron - no sign of age in your work! I was very dubious about fully rigging the guns on Speedy as they are so tiny, but was eventually persuaded - and I'm glad I did. The 2mm blocks needed for the side tackle were not supplied in the kit, but the ones I subsequently got from Vanguard were such good quality they made all the difference. I also used the finest silk fly-tying thread (18/0) to keep the seizings in scale. Here's some information on the method I used. As for age, I rely on good magnification and a quality spare hands tool (Quadhands) that I found out about on the forum.

Give it a go Bob, and I'm sure you won't regret it.

Derek

Edited by DelF
Typo

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Wonderful work, Bob, and the blue looks great. I'm amazed at how quickly you can complete so many steps of the build and do the well to boot!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks so much Derek, Bob and the "likes".

I've now completed the main deck furniture and fittings. These included the hatch coamings and gratings; the galley chimney; the main bitts; the gallows; the windlass and belfry; the pumps; the bowsprit bitts and the guns. This work was quite straight forward, using the excellent laser cut and PE parts. The guns presented the only issue-- whether or not to rig them . After experimenting with the tackle, I chose to go with breech ropes only.

Now it's on to finish the remaining hull items, including the head, which I continue to put off.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_b56.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b55.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b57.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b58.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b59.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b5a.jpeg

J66jY9b2Sqei5isuGm6xOg.jpg

fullsizeoutput_b5b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b5c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b5d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b5e.jpeg

Very nice work, Bob. This Duchess of Kingston is really a very beautiful model.

I have a lot of interest in following its evolution.

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

That looks great, Bob.  All the deck furniture pieces look like a lot of fun to put together.  Your bitts look really well done.  I also like the bell assembly (I'm not sure of the proper name for that stanchion).

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

Looking really nice Bob.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Looking really nice Bob,   each step forward you take with the build the more beautiful she is looking.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I've now completed work on the hull. This include the quarter deck and aft rails, the quarterdeck ladders,  the bow timberheads and completion of work on the head. The head is always fussy work, even if the parts are well designed and made, and I found this one no exception. The surprise to me was the difficulty that I encountered with the aft rails  Perhaps due to my own clumsiness, they proved to be quite fragile and hard to fit into the mortises. My other problem was entirely of my own making. When I had done the quarterdeck bulkhead, I had added finishing pieces at the end of the deck, without looking ahead and realizing that there were pieces that formed the base of the quarterdeck rail. Without the mortises in the laser cut pieces, I had to pin the rail supports in place.

Now it's on to masting and rigging.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_b5f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b60.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b61.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b62.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b36.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b63.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b64.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b65.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b66.jpeg

Well done, looks very nice.

I really enjoying making the masts and yards, which is still very much work in progress interspersed with fitting the deadeye and strops to the channels which is quite fiddly when drilling the holes in the hull for the pins.

Glenn (UK)

Very nice work Bob. I too found the aft deck rails very delicate and had to repair a couple.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B)