Flying Fish by gak1965 - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:96

6 hours ago, MrBlueJacket said:

Just a guess, but I've seen numerous examples of lines going to blocks on the deck, then up to a belaying point. I think it is because you can pull up with more force than you can pull down, being limited by your weight.

That makes sense.

My concern is that I don't see how you would belay this particular line. I goofed earlier, in that it appears that the top and the topgallant both belay on the fife rails (the top is belayed to the fife rail bitt itself rather than a pin). But for the course my read is that the line would have follow the path I've drawn in to the picture below, starting at the base of the mast and going to the marked pin on the bulwarks. Among other problems, the path to that pin has the fore deckhouse in the way.

IMG_20230413_161035153.thumb.jpg.3834fd3d4ed177d8f6400ea7af048c23.jpg

It seems there are three options, all of which involve ignoring the diagrams: belay this at the fife rail somehow, use a spare pin on the bulwarks that at least isn't blocked by the deckhouse, or maybe swap the topgallant for the course sheet. I like the latter best, as it will have the two sheets where the live ends last exit a block on the deck go to the fife rails, and the sheet where the last block is near the top goes to the pins in the bulwarks. The latter looks much more like a bunt or a leach and a lot less difficult to manage on a real ship. 

Regards,

George K 

Current Builds: Bluejacket USS KearsargeRRS Discovery 1:72 scratch

Completed Builds: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish | Model Shipways 1:64 US Brig Niagara | Model Shipways 1:64 Pride of Baltimore II (modified) | Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack | Heller 1:150 Passat | Revell 1:96 USS Constitution

George. again, great job. !!As far as the sheets go, I’m guessing that the strain from the topsail and topgallant sheets would be tremendous and therefore the block on the deck would help relieve the strain on the fife rail.

Rick

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2022 at 5:28 AM, rwiederrich said:

We stared at East Germans all the time during our duties.  We were the front line defense against any EG or Soviet aggression in that sector.  Geographically...it was their only way to advance West..

Thanks....it was an *Adventure*.....

One of my best friends served on the border of West and East Germany. He served in various tank crews, and i believe he served in all three tanker positions. He goes to my church, and his name is Don. He served in '86, which is why i told him to never skip out on his cancer screenings. He's an amazing guy, and i am proud to know him. 

15 hours ago, Ferrus Manus said:

One of my best friends served on the border of West and East Germany. He served in various tank crews, and i believe he served in all three tanker positions. He goes to my church, and his name is Don. He served in '86, which is why i told him to never skip out on his cancer screenings. He's an amazing guy, and i am proud to know him. 

Yeah...you worked up from driver to loader then, if you were good, to gunner. I was a gunner on a command tank and half the time I was the commander, cuz the officer was off tank.

Served in Wildflecken.

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Well, ratlines are continuing apace. Starboard side is now most of the way up the main mast (just a little work on the topgallant to go), and I'll be starting on the mizzen, so the finish line is in sight. 

However, the real step is the first of the yards is basically ready to go. The photos below show it in position, but it's not glued and I still have to set the chain sling up. 

IMG_20230427_002102397.thumb.jpg.b7d44143ac011700acd8eaac061c74f0.jpg

The upper end of the chains that are the course sheets are taped to the the mast so I can estimate how long to make them as there is no clew up there to attach the end to. The live end is held with yellow tape you can see in the photo. The next step is to fabricate a hook somewhere above where the tape is and then hook that to the tackles that you can sort of see around the base of the mast. At the moment the running lifts are just taped to the side of the hull, I want to move some of the sheet tackles out of the way (i.e. attach them to the sheet chains before I try to run them down into the mass of line down there. You can (may?) see the blocks for the clew and the reef tackle. On my Niagara I hooked the reef tackle to the clew on the course (above the course the clew was always attached to the sheet). I also mounted the bunt and leech blocks; I'm going to tie a knot in the end of each and leave them sitting up on the blocks. It gives the yard a bit of interest. 

Another view, with all of the lines strewn around the deck - as I imagine it was as she was being initially rigged.

IMG_20230427_002407910.thumb.jpg.6d91e18ab44fd58c456c82d974de3546.jpg

And a quick overview of the whole ship:

IMG_20230427_002358063.thumb.jpg.2c2b930887251bc0642cee3a522eff4f.jpg

As always, thanks for looking in!

Regards,

George K.

Completed Builds: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish | Model Shipways 1:64 US Brig Niagara | Model Shipways 1:64 Pride of Baltimore II (modified) | Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack | Heller 1:150 Passat | Revell 1:96 USS Constitution

Looking great George....but I see a slight issue with your forestay.   Donald McKay used the same rigger for many of his clippers(he even did the designs himself).

The issue is the placement of the forestay on the fore mast.  With its insertion point being below the tops...it will drastically interfere with the for main lards motion around its truss.

McKay....and others....would bring that forestay up on top of the tops....reason being, is the distance from the stays deck mounting on the forecastle to the foremast top is considerably shorter then the main mast stay...from its origin on the foremast fife rail and up to its insertion just below the main mast tops.  This shorter distance causes the stay to be too low and the yard will either rub against it, or its chain sling can come in contact with it....creating a big problem.

Most modelers follow the kits rigging plan....however, design and physics, just doesn't permit it.

Other then this issue...your efforts are wonderful.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

1 hour ago, rwiederrich said:

McKay....and others....would bring that forestay up on top of the tops....reason being, is the distance from the stays deck mounting on the forecastle to the foremast top is considerably shorter then the main mast stay...from its origin on the foremast fife rail and up to its insertion just below the main mast tops.  This shorter distance causes the stay to be too low and the yard will either rub against it, or its chain sling can come in contact with it....creating a big problem.

So, if I understand you correctly, the stay doesn't go through the lubber's holes but rather over the forward edge of the top? 

I can see that there is not much in the way of clearance between the fore course and the forestay, and that it has a less acute angle than the main or mizzen stays given the anchor point on the knightheads. I figured it would probably limit how far you could realistically move the yard. Was there some kind of reinforcing at the edge of the top or some kind of spreader to ensure that the stay landed on the top directly over the trestletrees? Right now, this is still potentially changeable (as I say, it's not glued in place yet), and my recollection is that the forestay is the highest and outermost of the lines so replacing it won't (shouldn't?) mess up the shrouds, but I need to think about this a bit.

Thanks,

George K

George, 

the China trade picture clearly shows the forestay going through the lubbers hole and not over the forward edge of the top.  The Buttersworth painting seems to confirm this.

I have seen on some models where there is a cleat on the aft side of the foremast that elevates the forestay above the shrouds.  

I don’t know if that causes a problem running the stay through the lubbers hole to the knightheads.

For what it’s worth.

the model looks great!!  Can’t wait to get to where you are!!

Rick

George, 

I think that as we progress with our models, minute errors creep in, which over time will affect the runs of the various lines.  I expect to have the same problem and I intend to rig the forestay like you have it now.  I think this is a small detail that few will notice ie the interference with the swing of the fore yard

Rick

The reason I brought up the whole thing is that McKay used the same rigger for nearly all of his ships and and due to mast location, rake and the angle of the stays insertion to the mast.....it simply *Looked* as if your forestay was too low and in interference with the yard.  Again,  Many clippers rigged their forestay over the top.  British clipper's....such as the Thermopylae and Cutty Sark rigged their forestays above the top.  I can name a dozen clippers rigged in like fashion.  Namely my own recent clipper, Glory of the Seas was rigged this way.

Sometimes painting will not reflect every detail as it was....(especially with the rigging...because it changed so often).

Flying Fish was built 18 years earlier then Glory of the Seas...and it is quite possible her forestay was rigged under the tops in her lubbers hole....but given the fact your stay appears it will impede the yard, and supposing this is a relatively accurate production model of the *Fish*....... and knowing McKay's habits. I came to an educated conclusion and made the suggestion.

Here are some examples...

image.png.e3b7ae03621ff82066073f25b45110d0.png

1185980_10201149452231564_2119792453_n.jpg

20210321_225244.thumb.jpg.c2fb866b0dc31db4c1e9bcfeda4f6276 (2).jpg

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

1 hour ago, rwiederrich said:

but given the fact your stay appears it will impede the yard, and supposing this is a relatively accurate production model of the *Fish*....... and knowing McKay's habits. I came to an educated conclusion and made the suggestion.

Those photos are pretty clear. And the main and mizzen stays are through the lubber's holes. Okay - I just need to figure out if that kind of change is going to mess with too much else. It shouldn't but I want to validate that it's not going to do something undesirable with the shroud tension and that the foretop is sturdy enough on the model to take the strain. The mast itself (which has a beech core and basswood fishes) is solid as a rock - I'm less certain about the entirely basswood top.

Replacements happen. I cut out and replaced the starboard side main topgallant shrouds a couple of days ago b/c they were too loose to effectively tie the ratlines without undue deflection.

Interestingly, as I was prepping the fore topmast for its eventual installation, I finally understood how the tackles at the base of the foremast are supposed to operate. Somehow I thought they were for 3 sheets, when it was actually for two sheets and the running lift on the course yard. And that what I had been thinking of as a fore sheet was really the fore top sheet, and the fore top sheet was the fore topgallant sheet. That leaves the live ends of all six of the tackles (3 each port and starboard) belaying to the fife rail (which makes sense). The four where the live end rises from the deck are the sheets, and the two where they descend from above are the lifts (again, sensible) and the "fore sheet" if for the spencer. Why I got so confused over the nomenclature, I have no idea - this is not the first ship I've rigged.

Thanks,

George 

George.  I hope this observation hasn't caused undue repairs.  Worse thing is, you leave it and as mentioned earlier it might just *blend* in with the sheet and bunt lines.   

I have been doing research on McKay vessels for over 40 years and most notable on Glory of the Seas....so even the most minor of details I try not to over look...though it happens.

You have done very well on this build and she is looking magnificent.  I'm glad you went the extra mile to work out the *Missing* Naval Hoods...the manufacture failed to include in the kit.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

26 minutes ago, rwiederrich said:

I hope this observation hasn't caused undue repairs.  Worse thing is, you leave it and as mentioned earlier it might just *blend* in with the sheet and bunt lines. 

Not at all. If I can manage it without major repairs, I will. If it's going to mess up a bunch of other things, I won't. If the latter, I can live with the knowledge that the forestay is wrong. In aggregate, it will still be an improvement over the out of the box kit on the basis of the cutwater, naval hoods, figurehead, binnacle, the composite masts, etc. that I scratch built rather than use the fittings. There is already at least one case where I decided to go for inaccurate to the real ship for a (sorta) historic and aesthetic reason (the green hull that McKay wanted to do, but didn't). 

I really appreciate all of the information that I've gotten, even when I didn't make the suggested mods (e.g., the big windows on the carriage house, and hoops on the mizzen). It's really interesting and has been a great teacher about doing historical research on ships that I intend to use when I start RRS Discovery. It existed in the era of photographs, and there are plans and the actual ship available, but, as with so many ships there have been a lot of changes over time, so I need to define the when and even then, will probably need to make some educated guesses.

Regards,

George K

1 hour ago, gak1965 said:

I really appreciate all of the information that I've gotten, even when I didn't make the suggested mods (e.g., the big windows on the carriage house, and hoops on the mizzen). It's really interesting and has been a great teacher about doing historical research on ships that I intend to use when I start RRS Discovery. It existed in the era of photographs, and there are plans and the actual ship available, but, as with so many ships there have been a lot of changes over time, so I need to define the when and even then, will probably need to make some educated guesses.

Modeling Ships is sucha wonderful hobby......  You can take it as far as your heart desires...or as far as your skill permits.

If the prototype has had longevity...then surely, you will be allowed the freedom to model the *Period* you so choose.....and still be accurate.  Where as, if the vessel lived an unchanged or short life...you have only one chance to get it right.  Anything else is just wrong.   Personally, my own travels have lead me down the road of modeling vessels that are not regularly modeled.  It releases me from the scrutinous eye of the *comparer*.

However....this approach, requires the utmost in diligent research.

You have gained a plethora of knowledge and understanding....where clippers are concerned.....I suspect what you bring to your next build will greatly enhance that outcome.

Great job...and I'll continue to monitor with eagerness.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

A couple of quick updates, as I may wind up being away from this for a time. I've started the ratlines on the mizzen (about halfway up the lower shrouds), as can be seen in this photo.

IMG_20230502_112903478.thumb.jpg.928fac315b3242ef2089f33262498fad.jpg

Eagle eyed observers will likely notice two things. First, I didn't move the lower forestay over the top. I was just too worried about the impact on the tension in all of the rest of the forestays and at this point, I have no meaningful way to tighten any of the shrouds without completely redoing it. The trade painting shows them going through the lubber's holes, that will have to be good enough for this time. If I do another McKay clipper, I will probably adjust accordingly. Second, the fore topsail yard is in place. Here is a view looking aft:

IMG_20230502_112931129.thumb.jpg.828fcb47117f7dae243f7a9c40572807.jpg

And a couple of closeup views:

IMG_20230502_112949243.thumb.jpg.3552bac1fee9b729a95e2f3d711ef2aa.jpg

IMG_20230502_113118941.thumb.jpg.314590ad4c38400e561738506e8cceb5.jpg

You can see that I have rigged the topsail clews and sheets. The live ends of the sheets are attached to their relevant tackle, although the clews are just taped onto the bulwark. Once I rig the sheets for the topgallant (which also attaches to a deck tackle), the fife rails will be clear enough to actually start belaying the relevant ends. I've also run the topsail halyard which runs through three gin blocks (one on the yard), two in the crosstrees. That turned out to be more painful than I expected, but I ran a bit of very fine wire through the chain and twisted the two ends like I was making a flattened eyebolt. This was stiff enough to send through the blocks although it took me a while. The two live ends are meant to be attached to tackles on the channels, which are not yet in place, so the live ends are kinda just hanging for now.

In the last photo you can see the iron band that nominally holds the yard in place. That is basically just a thin piece of painted brass and the pin that is attached to the crane goes through the brass and into hole in the mast so it is actually pretty solid. I then glued down the brass leaving a "tail" of brass where the two sides met, which I cut down to size to represent the place where the hoop is bolted together.

As always, thanks for looking in and the likes!

Regards,

George K

1 hour ago, gak1965 said:

In the last photo you can see the iron band that nominally holds the yard in place. That is basically just a thin piece of painted brass and the pin that is attached to the crane goes through the brass and into hole in the mast so it is actually pretty solid. I then glued down the brass leaving a "tail" of brass where the two sides met, which I cut down to size to represent the place where the hoop is bolted together.

Super work George.  She looks clean and well done.

From your close-up angle...it is clearly visible and understood why McKay transitioned to the Howes double topsail design...over this single topsail design.   One major drawback to this design is the pinching that was very evident within the parrel band.  When the gin block is mounted on the top of the yard and the lift is activated...it unduly pinches the parrel band against the topsail mast...when attempting to raise the yard .

Personally, I think the a truss is less effective then a wooden parrel..where the gin block could be mounted further back to the mast, allowing a more vertical lift angle....permitting an easier, friction free lift.

This is one advantage(Of many), why the Howes and Forbes double topsail design was adopted in the early 1850's.

I'm sad to hear you will be taking a break on her build....but I am enjoying it so...I guess I'll have to muddle along till a new entry is made.

Again....super job.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

7 hours ago, rwiederrich said:

One major drawback to this design is the pinching that was very evident within the parrel band.  When the gin block is mounted on the top of the yard and the lift is activated...it unduly pinches the parrel band against the topsail mast...when attempting to raise the yard .

Concur. And the main would have been even worse because it was heavier and had a longer lever arm.

I think it's no accident that the topsail yards use chains and are attached to two sets of tackles (one each P/S) with greased leather as a lubricant under the parrel band. They must have been a royal pain the posterior to bring into position. Hopefully they didn't need to do a lot of such evolutions most passages. 

George K

10 hours ago, gak1965 said:

Concur. And the main would have been even worse because it was heavier and had a longer lever arm.

I think it's no accident that the topsail yards use chains and are attached to two sets of tackles (one each P/S) with greased leather as a lubricant under the parrel band. They must have been a royal pain the posterior to bring into position. Hopefully they didn't need to do a lot of such evolutions most passages. 

George K

This is the main reason why the Forbes design and subsequently, the Howes design came into being.    Being the easiest of the two designs...Howes, became the norm.

Still....I think the model makers, made a slight mistake when they chose the iron truss for the single topsail.  It is appropriate for the main course....because it is slung away from the mast...but the topsail as well as every other yard used a wooden parrel or mast boot...where the chain hoist was affixed.  Placing it close to the mast and causing less stress and friction as it travel up/down the mast.

Agreed...the double chain tackle for the hoist seamed necessary....but it became a far less cumbersome design when double topsails were introduced and a double block purchase and deck winches were introduced as well.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the 'potential' break became an actual one because my mother had gone into the hospital. On that Tuesday evening we were all thinking it was relatively minor, and just waiting for the definitive test that was going to be done the next day, and that Friday morning she was gone. We were grateful to have her as long as we did, and she lived to see both of our children graduate from college, and my siblings' children graduate from high school, and, fortunately, she had her faculties until about the last 36 hours.  I think she really wanted to reach her 87th birthday and 64th wedding anniversary, both of which would have been next week, but it was not to be. However, she had her husband, all three children (one of whom was fortunately in town from Denver) and 2 of the three spouses (one had to stay in Denver to deal with one of the grandkids) with her for the last week, hopefully that helped. 

With that, and the week making various arrangements having passed, I have had some time for a little bit of wood based therapy. Not a lot has changed, but, I mounted the fore topgallant yard, and its halyard. I installed the tackles that hold the topmast halyard, and anchored the first set of live ends from the halyard tackle) on the pinrails. I've installed the first of the fore topgallant sheets and attached it to the tackle on the deck. Once the other sheet is installed, I will anchor everything that terminates on the fife rails (the four chain sheets and the live lifts, as well as the 6 clew lines (which anchor on the pinrails. At that point, I'll add the Royal and Skysail yards, and I'll be close to finished on the foremast square yards. I think I'm going to rig the fore spencer before I have a bunch of main yards in the way. Here are a couple of photos.

IMG_20230514_231402686.thumb.jpg.9a4d7a16ffd0903aaaa2dddea36c4504.jpg

IMG_20230514_231346292.thumb.jpg.68744f2d76c8be755148b11043ff3175.jpg

IMG_20230514_231417646.thumb.jpg.68208977b9e94d76065d403c1a98cf00.jpg

IMG_20230514_231459153.thumb.jpg.ece99bf2590cf1c58e57f5e11c2f6ef6.jpg

@rwiederrich or @ClipperFan, the halyard tackle for the topsail yard goes to the pinrail via a deck mounted block (that is, the live end leaves a double at the point where the tackle is shackled to the chain, passes through a deck mounted single and is then belayed to the pinrail). I presume that this is meant to allow the crew to pull up rather than down, which makes sense. The drawings are ambiguous for the other halyards (topgallant, royal, and sky). On other McKay clippers did all the halyards have deck mounted blocks or was that specific to topsail yard because it was so heavy and had that unfortunate lever arm that made it harder to pull into place?

As always, thanks for looking in and your encouragement and comments!

Regards,

George K

My condolences losing your mom, I know how difficult it is as I lost my mother some years ago. 
As far as the model goes, I echo What Rob said, very clean and well done

I wonder if the reason that the topsail halyards rove through a block on the deck was so that free (bitter?) end could be taken to the capstan when raising the topsail yard.  Just a though.

7 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Sorry to hear about your mother, George. Good to hear that her family was able to be with her.

Your model is coming along nicely.

6 hours ago, Rick310 said:

My condolences losing your mom, I know how difficult it is as I lost my mother some years ago. 
As far as the model goes, I echo What Rob said, very clean and well done

Thank you both for the sentiments, it is appreciated.

6 hours ago, Rick310 said:

I wonder if the reason that the topsail halyards rove through a block on the deck was so that free (bitter?) end could be taken to the capstan when raising the topsail yard.  Just a though.

Could be, although the capstans are poorly placed for that. I assumed (as was suggested somewhere earlier) that it was because when you pull down you are limited in how much force you can exert by your weight, vice when you are pushing up from a (basically) immovable object. 

Turns out the instructions had something to say about that. It appears that the block was only on the topail. Next time, I should RTFM I guess. The instructions are fine, but I've been tending lately to just build from the plans.

Regards,

George K

Edited by gak1965

14 hours ago, gak1965 said:

Well, the 'potential' break became an actual one because my mother had gone into the hospital. On that Tuesday evening we were all thinking it was relatively minor, and just waiting for the definitive test that was going to be done the next day, and that Friday morning she was gone. We were grateful to have her as long as we did, and she lived to see both of our children graduate from college, and my siblings' children graduate from high school, and, fortunately, she had her faculties until about the last 36 hours.  I think she really wanted to reach her 87th birthday and 64th wedding anniversary, both of which would have been next week, but it was not to be. However, she had her husband, all three children (one of whom was fortunately in town from Denver) and 2 of the three spouses (one had to stay in Denver to deal with one of the grandkids) with her for the last week, hopefully that helped. 

With that, and the week making various arrangements having passed, I have had some time for a little bit of wood based therapy. Not a lot has changed, but, I mounted the fore topgallant yard, and its halyard. I installed the tackles that hold the topmast halyard, and anchored the first set of live ends from the halyard tackle) on the pinrails. I've installed the first of the fore topgallant sheets and attached it to the tackle on the deck. Once the other sheet is installed, I will anchor everything that terminates on the fife rails (the four chain sheets and the live lifts, as well as the 6 clew lines (which anchor on the pinrails. At that point, I'll add the Royal and Skysail yards, and I'll be close to finished on the foremast square yards. I think I'm going to rig the fore spencer before I have a bunch of main yards in the way. Here are a couple of photos.

IMG_20230514_231402686.thumb.jpg.9a4d7a16ffd0903aaaa2dddea36c4504.jpg

IMG_20230514_231346292.thumb.jpg.68744f2d76c8be755148b11043ff3175.jpg

IMG_20230514_231417646.thumb.jpg.68208977b9e94d76065d403c1a98cf00.jpg

IMG_20230514_231459153.thumb.jpg.ece99bf2590cf1c58e57f5e11c2f6ef6.jpg

@rwiederrich or @ClipperFan, the halyard tackle for the topsail yard goes to the pinrail via a deck mounted block (that is, the live end leaves a double at the point where the tackle is shackled to the chain, passes through a deck mounted single and is then belayed to the pinrail). I presume that this is meant to allow the crew to pull up rather than down, which makes sense. The drawings are ambiguous for the other halyards (topgallant, royal, and sky). On other McKay clippers did all the halyards have deck mounted blocks or was that specific to topsail yard because it was so heavy and had that unfortunate lever arm that made it harder to pull into place?

As always, thanks for looking in and your encouragement and comments!

Regards,

George K

George....so many combinations were employed on clippers.  Typically when the line exited the gin block, it parted, and one side would either be fixed to the deck or chain plate, and the other ran through a double block system ending in a single to a pin.  later clippers, (Like the Great Republic) used monkey winches for each mast to do the hard lifting. She even had a 5 HP steam donkey engine in the aft room of her forward cabin.   Sometimes,  they had several capstans along the deck to do such work.   Each chain lift and tie for each yard had alternating (Port to starboard) double block to single block systems....

Depends on the year and what was typically operating at that time.

Rob

Earlier clippers used manpower of mechanical.  Hence the invention of the Forbes and Howes double topsail and the addition of Deck winches

Edited by rwiederrich

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

So sorry to hear about the sudden passing of your mother, George. Losing your mom is always tough. My mother lived until she was 98 but she slipped into dementia and a long, slow decline during her final years and that was very hard to see. My condolences to you and your family.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

1 hour ago, BobG said:

but she slipped into dementia and a long, slow decline

Thank you. I'm sorry your mom (and family) had to go through that. I'm hard pressed to imagine a worse way to go. Fortunately, as I say, my mother was mostly with it until the very end; but I know far too many that went the other way.

Regards,

George K

I've made some progress, but not much to show now as we've been in Boston for our younger (and final) child's college graduation (technically she finished her degree in December, but she didn't graduate until yesterday). While we were there we visited the Museum of Fine Arts (she lives about 1/2 mile away) and stumbled into the ship gallery. Thought I might share a couple of clippers from there; have a look at some professional level skills...

First up, the Marie Rose at 1:64

IMG_20230521_111758392.jpg

And the Flying Cloud at 1:64

IMG_20230521_112047051.jpg

Not a Clipper obviously, but a 100 gun ship of the line at 1:64

IMG_20230521_111823815.jpg

Tis is Boston, so USS Constitution 

IMG_20230521_111853825.thumb.jpg.063e3f073cf2fb1ffe776a4626337eb4.jpg

And he a French ship Héros (1778). This is not technically at any specific scale, but the craftsmanship is amazing considering it's bout 14 inches long. It was made by a French POW around 1781.

IMG_20230521_112001027.thumb.jpg.e299b42c6cb6022e11543197a71da580.jpg

Regards,

George K

Edited by gak1965

George, beautiful models!  We live in Maine and we occasionally come to Boston for a long weekend getaway.  Always go to the Museum of Fine Arts to see the ship models.  I have used the Flying Cloud model extensively as a reference for the Flying Fish, given that the Flying Fish was launched 9 months after the Flying Cloud.

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening to all. Memorial Day is a holiday that has many meanings to different people, so I will just say that I hope that all that mark the day found their observance satisfactory. 

I've been busy on the foremast, which now has all five yards (course, top, topgallant, royal, and sky mounted. All of the halyards are mounted, and the live ends secured. The course lifts are fully in place, as are the iron sheets for the top and topgallants. I mounted five trucks on each set of fore shrouds to act as fairleads so that I can start the clews and sheets that are higher up the mast. The top clews and sheets and topgallant clews and sheets are fully installed, the royal sheets are mounted and threaded through the trucks, and the skysail clews and sheets have yet to be installed. Still progress is being made. Here are some photos:

IMG_20230530_002645843.thumb.jpg.28f7bb158206ddda1ba322fd22755ca5.jpg

IMG_20230530_002825580.thumb.jpg.d99a15c2278ccba4b7c4978075594691.jpg

IMG_20230530_002840080.thumb.jpg.34318b0a23fc0a212952485be77bb284.jpg

One little oopsie that I discovered was that after installing the topgallant yard, I had failed to drill the sheaves for the sheets. When I went to drill one side, I put enough pressure that it ruined one of the lifts, which required replacement. When I went to do the other side, I was determined not to do so much damage, so I set up the following jig using a bit of dowel, held in place with Tamiya tape. It kept the yard from moving so much and I was able to drill the hole without additional damage. Eagle eyed individuals may also spot a point where I repaired a chain that broke under stress (I basically made another link with very fine wire). I figure that the latter is probably something that happened on the real ship, so, it's a feature, not a bug.

IMG_20230529_231723379.thumb.jpg.f449092165577ae54ad7769fd5c7d2ac.jpg

As always, thanks for looking in and for the likes!

Regards,

George K.

Edited by gak1965