Flying Fish by gak1965 - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:96

Hello all!

Well, just a quick photo, the foremast is now complete, minus the braces, so a milestone. I will be away from the bench for a week, as I'm going to Chicago for the annual American Society of Clinical Oncology conference. I haven't been since 2019 because of the pandemic and various job changes, so looking forward even though it means being away for a while. 

IMG_20230601_192619182_HDR.thumb.jpg.1200d7b4c8c1c60362b5c45106ae59bc.jpg

IMG_20230601_192552714_HDR.thumb.jpg.cd6e58b451fa940500e73ad420ec3b16.jpg

As always, thanks for looking in, and for the likes!

Regards,

George K

Current Builds: Bluejacket USS KearsargeRRS Discovery 1:72 scratch

Completed Builds: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish | Model Shipways 1:64 US Brig Niagara | Model Shipways 1:64 Pride of Baltimore II (modified) | Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack | Heller 1:150 Passat | Revell 1:96 USS Constitution

Thanks Rick!

I did the standing rigging fore to aft, but would do the opposite next time, as you are proposing, mostly because I think that getting the forestays on the mizzen and main will be easier without the shrouds from mast in front of it getting in the way of the anchor points on the next mast forward.

However, I'm glad I'm going fore to aft on the yards. Because the majority of the lines end aft of the mast itself, by going fore to aft, I don't have the yards from the main or mizzen getting in the way as I have to reach into the gap between the masts to anchor onto to the pin rails.

Your mileage may vary. Once I start installing the main yards, this thesis may be proved wrong, but so far I think it's working

George K

Edited by gak1965

Completed Builds: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish | Model Shipways 1:64 US Brig Niagara | Model Shipways 1:64 Pride of Baltimore II (modified) | Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack | Heller 1:150 Passat | Revell 1:96 USS Constitution

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's been a couple of weeks, so I thought it was time for an update. A little early, but Happy Father's Day to all, and thanks for the well wishes on progress. I mentioned in my last post that I was off to Chicago for the ASCO Annual Meeting, so, I've had more like 9 days rather than 16, but progress is still a bit slow as I find yard making a slow task. However, I've taken a bunch of pics that show the progress of the main yards, including the previously made main course, which I accidentally made with the fore yards. So first, we have a photo of the four dowels that will be the top, topgallant, royal, and sky yards. I've drawn in the locations of the trusses (center) and the yardarms on either side, and then marked where I need to drill the holes for the jackstay eyebolts. Extra wood so they have someplace to attach when I put them in my mini wood lathe.

IMG_20230612_203426927.thumb.jpg.c13007a098cb1027d3e4b256e71b74e0.jpg

Second photo. Holes drilled and lathed down to shape, with the extra wood cut off.

IMG_20230614_213142178.thumb.jpg.c2290d5787140b268c3ba1d35f5db6e0.jpg

Next step is to put in all of the eyebolts.

IMG_20230615_213013838.thumb.jpg.2abc93cf57bd32177b199a5378e409a2.jpg

Photo 4, I've made most of the bands on the yards out of the Venture tape I used to make the copper plating, just cut down to the proper size.

IMG_20230615_220829608.thumb.jpg.4273add23193857546d7a08c4ff15d7e.jpg

Next, I need to make the trusses that connect three of the yards to the masts and are the halyard attachment point on the top yard. I made a former out of a block of wood. I use 1/32 by 1/16 brass strip that I've cut a hole in to make the truss. The hole is the diameter of a belaying pin, so I use that to place the brass onto a forming model I made from a chunk of wood. I bend it with the end of a pair of heavy wire cutters, and then cut the ends to length, and bend them to form the attachment points. If the truss is going to connect the yard to the mast, I take the belaying pin out, remove the 'ball' top, and reinsert it in the other direction, and CA glue it in place. That pin will eventually be mounted in a hole in the mast to allow me to sturdily set the yard in place. It won't allow me to change the orientation (straight on or nothing), but it's very solid, which I appreciate.

IMG_20230617_183231339.thumb.jpg.366004787e2b3500ba4248aca073d112.jpg

Finally, the last steps up to where I am now. CA glue the trusses in place, and the wrap with trimmed copper tape. Slide steel wire in the jackstay eyebolts as the jackstay itself. I still need to add a bunch of eyebolts as mounting points for various lines, make and add 2 iron blocks for the course and top yards that handle the top and topgallant sheets, and add the stuns'l irons to the top and topgallant, add the wood parrels to royal and sky, and of course paint them all black, but progress.

IMG_20230617_221402491.thumb.jpg.f9b49980c313ee36e0b059daa0b6a053.jpg

The jackstays are not perfectly straight, even using my drill press I find that the bit tends to wander a bit, especially on the smaller yards, but once they are painted, it really isn't very noticeable. 

In any case, thanks for looking in!

Regards,

George 

Nicely done George! 

This task is really time-consuming, and I think you cannot understand how much until you do it by yourself! 
I have massively underestimated the time needed to build mine. You seem to go fast though! Keep it going, they are beautiful! 

Current build: Cutty Sark - Revell - 1:96:   https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25323-cutty-sark-by-bruma-revell-196/

Great update George.  There is so much to a yard....and you still haven't added any blocks yet....swooooh.

You're doing a magnificent job.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

5 minutes ago, rwiederrich said:

There is so much to a yard....and you still haven't added any blocks yet....swooooh.

Thanks Rob. No footropes or stirrups either. I finished the eyebolts and wood parrels yesterday, maybe I can make the iron blocks and paint tonight and get the regular blocks and footropes this week. We'll see 

I'm sure you are aware of this, but one thing I realized installing all the eyebolts is that I have to remember to move one set on each of the mizzen yards to the forward side of the mast. These are the bolts that make up part of the band where the yardarm begins, and they are used to attach the brace pendants. On the fore and main, the braves run aft, on the mizzen forward. On the Niagara I just tied them onto the yardarm, but there are irons, hence eyebolts, hence I need to orient them correctly.

Regards

George

4 hours ago, gak1965 said:

Thanks Rob. No footropes or stirrups either. I finished the eyebolts and wood parrels yesterday, maybe I can make the iron blocks and paint tonight and get the regular blocks and footropes this week. We'll see 

I'm sure you are aware of this, but one thing I realized installing all the eyebolts is that I have to remember to move one set on each of the mizzen yards to the forward side of the mast. These are the bolts that make up part of the band where the yardarm begins, and they are used to attach the brace pendants. On the fore and main, the braves run aft, on the mizzen forward. On the Niagara I just tied them onto the yardarm, but there are irons, hence eyebolts, hence I need to orient them correctly.

Regards

George

Oh, absolutely.  Eyebolts for braces...eyebolts for downhauls...eyebolts for jackstays...eyebolts for blocks....pad rollers(eyebolts) for sheet chains.  It goes on...an....on.....an......on......an.......

I didn't mention the foot ropes , stirrups or possibly flemishhorses..because they generally tie off on the jackstay.  I was just focused on the hardware.

Go get-em.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Thanks Bruma, Rob, and Jared! Brief update. I've built the two iron blocks, attached them, and painted the main yards.

IMG_20230627_223944023.thumb.jpg.6ed092c241c4098e1be00c05824e4956.jpg

Now to add all of the items that go on after the body of the yards are complete. They include (clockwise from 3:00 o'clock): stirrups (way too long at the moment, will be trimmed so that the foot ropes are about 1/2 inch (4 scale feet below the top of the yard), blocks for the buntlines (attach to the jackstay, so stopped with thread), double blocks for clew lines and some of the sheets ("iron" stropped), and single blocks for the working ends of the sheets and also the clew on the skysail. I think that will be enough. I'm not putting in the reefing tackle and the blocks for the live lifts on the main course are already mounted on the mast. Similarly, the halyards for the top 4 masts either use blocks already on the mast or a sheave, so nothing more to do there.

IMG_20230627_224005232.thumb.jpg.9b5a5037bada3107095513f89e0de443.jpg

Next are attaching the stirrups, foot ropes, and all the blocks that I've stropped, and installing the trucks that are used as fairleads. I'm going to also take a quick check to make sure that I don't need to mount some blocks for the braces (although it looks like they mostly attach to various stays and shrouds) and put the hardware for the topping lifts and outhauls on the Spencers.

As always, thanks for looking in!

George

On 5/30/2022 at 12:16 AM, gak1965 said:

My assumption has always been that you use built masts when getting solid masts of the correct diameter is too expensive. As @ClipperFan points out, the mizzen is narrower than the bowsprit. I'm going to guess and say that McKay could get 2 feet diameter solid masts but 3.5 feet was becoming prohibitively expensive due to more than 2 centuries of logging around Boston. The photo of Glory in Alaska (where finding big trees would be less of an issue) with a fished main, and solid fore and mizzen would seem to bear this idea out. Given that, and the fact that the description of the fore and main (but not the mizzen) mentions fishing, I think I'm going to go with a solid mizzen.

The iron hoops are more open to question. In a straight pole, I would think that the hoops would be useful in preventing the mast from failing due to forces acting along the axis of the mast (i.e. downward forces that would tend to split the wood fibers apart) and not forces that are applied parallel to axis of the mast (i.e. forces from the winds on the sails). If there are proper engineers out there, please correct me.

Both paintings have value to get the proper look of the ship, but both have issues.  Butterworth, for example, removed all of the deadeyes from the shrouds and backstays, the China Trade painting doesn't have the masts that are known to be fished, but has hoops. Actually, calling them issues is a bit harsh, in both cases, I'm guessing they worked.quickly and/or from sketches because they didn't have photos available, and so inaccuracies crept in. But they are both models in a sense, artistic representations of more complex real things.

Ideally, an engineer tells me if my supposition about the utility of the hoops is right or wrong. Barring such information, I think I'm going to go with solid mizzen, no hoops given that the photos of Glory's masts don't show them when they are poles and not built.

it's fun, kind of like a detective story to go with the construction.

Warm regards,

George K

This is a great discussion.   I am presently struggling with whether or not to put hoops on my solid mizzen.  My gut feeling is to go with out the hoops as per the Langford plans, based on something I read in "China Tea Clippers" by George F. Campbell, a caluable resource.  On page 112 Campbell writes "Whenever possible wooden lower masks were made from a single tree . . . . .      The mizzen mast, being relatively small, was usually a single tree.  ITS SMOOTH SURFACE WAS ALSO CONVENIENT FOR THE HOOPS OF THE SPANKER SAIL TO RIDE UP AND DOWN ON, AS ALSO THE GAFF JAWS IF SO RIGGED.

Edited by Jared
Added info.

Both the China Trade painting and the Buttersworth painting show mast bands, on the mizzen, contrary to the Langford plans.  I recall reading somewhere that single tree masts were also hooped for added strength.  The spencer gaff rides on the spencer mast behind the mizzen, therefore mast bands would not interfere with raising and lowering the spencer gaff.

Rick

22 minutes ago, Rick310 said:

The spencer gaff rides on the spencer mast behind the mizzen, therefore mast bands would not interfere with raising and lowering the spencer gaff.

I obviously went without the bands, but who really knows. Regardless @Jared, good luck however you choose to proceed. I've made some choices that I'm sure lots would disagree with, probably the biggest to paint the hull green after an apparent desire by McKay to paint her that color that he did not do. But, it's a variation that I liked and if I give it to someone that objects, it's fixable with a couple of hours of painting, so...

Regards,

George 

53 minutes ago, gak1965 said:

I obviously went without the bands, but who really knows. Regardless @Jared, good luck however you choose to proceed. I've made some choices that I'm sure lots would disagree with, probably the biggest to paint the hull green after an apparent desire by McKay to paint her that color that he did not do. But, it's a variation that I liked and if I give it to someone that objects, it's fixable with a couple of hours of painting, so...

Regards,

George 

At the end of the day, with lack of any photos of the actual FF, who is to really know perfectly our models match the real deal.   😀

Best regards, Jared

So much is open to interpretation.  Most of the model is based on known common practice at that time. Combine that with artistic license, who can really say what was actually done.  Both your model and Jared’s are coming along beautifully, and anyone can readily identify them as the Flying Fish.

Rick

Well, finally making some progress on the main mast. First step, blocks, stirrups, foot ropes, flemish horses, and the clews and some of the lifts. And after careful review of the plans, adding a bunch of additional blocks and eyes on the main mast for braces.

IMG_20230704_231342549.thumb.jpg.6f3530cd605b67dac328a9017c95f02c.jpg

So, here are the lower three yards test fitted on the ship. Lines hanging everywhere, nothing permanently atached:

IMG_20230708_202502425.thumb.jpg.0753a6458c35cb9fc43116159c6fae24.jpg

IMG_20230708_202545327.thumb.jpg.061d8c8807fa923562024728bf07ba47.jpg

Finally, the course yard attached, and with the live lifts attached, the ends secured to the tackle, and the ends of the tackle secured to the fife rail. I can add the top yard with lifts, but after that I need to attach the (not yet attached) trucks to the shrouds to act as fairleads. In an ideal universe I would have added the trucks before putting the course yard on, but I was so sick of doing work that didn't really change the appearance of the ship that I did this first (and will probably add the top yard as well), while I work on those frustrating things.

IMG_20230708_223722473_HDR.thumb.jpg.5365e1001d3624865ec9d622674a708f.jpg

Regards,

George

• 2 weeks later...

A brief update.

Work on the main mast proceeds apace. I've permanently mounted the course, top, and topgallant yards, along with their lifts, halyards, and the top and topgallant clews, and 3 of the four sheets chain sheets. The trucks are now in place as well, so the task of anchoring the lines continues. Here are a couple of photos showing the ship in its current configuration:

IMG_20230717_002439111.thumb.jpg.1dfe856ae7a8890c534a79ef4e92dbe3.jpg

IMG_20230717_002448219.thumb.jpg.27549e5d2f54d7cceb66b11fc6588cab.jpg

IMG_20230717_002505401.thumb.jpg.e5ce06024838999748a27c783b8401a0.jpg

A couple of observations thus far, for anyone also doing the Fish.

Trucks: It took me forever to find an efficient way to attach the trucks. I finally landed on using a cutting wheel on my dremel to make a notch in the truck, CA glue it into place, and then tie it to the shroud with some thread, using a dot of glue to secure the knot. Seems to work, although it took until I only had the 8 mizzen trucks left. The hardest part is holding the tiny deadeye tight enough so that it didn't fly away, but not so tight it split into 2 or 3 pieces.

Chain: Model Shipways gives you 25 feet of chain, and it is not nearly enough. As it was, I bought some larger chain for the anchors, bobstays, etc., and I still don't have nearly enough. When (hopefully this week), I mount the royal and sky yards, I won't be adding the halyards right away because I only have enough chain left to make the remaining topgallant sheet and that is it. I bought another 10 feet from Model Shipways which I hope will be enough. The reality is that you need like 8-10 feet for the sheets, and maybe 6 or 7 feet for the halyards per mast, plus some for the bowsprit, and that is assuming that you manage to not have any wastage. I mean, maybe someone doing things perfectly could get it done with 25 feet, but I don't see how.

Jackstay eyebolts: Along with the chain, I bought my second extra order of jackstay eyebolts. Between the jackstays on 15 yards, plus the Spencer jackstay on the fore and main, plus using them to make the iron work on the yards, and anchor points for various and sundry blocks, etc., etc., etc., you go through these things like they are going out of style. 

Anyway, not trying to be too harsh on the kit. I've said before, in general Model Shipways makes a good kit with a few exceptions (e.g. certain Britannia fittings) but you are likely to need additional materials by the time you are done.

As always, thanks for looking in and the likes.

Regards,

George

George, I couldn’t agree with you more.

Anyone building this model will need to buy more chain, wood, eyebolts, brass and copper sheet/strips.  Over the years I have bought multiple lengths of chain when ever I could find it, especially in the smaller sizes.  I also had difficulty finding the right size chain for the anchor chain and ended up using chain that was smaller than called for.  But better than too big.  
The fittings supplied are pretty bad.
Great  job on the model.Really looks good, very impressive!!

Rick

Thanks @Rick310 and @Jared. We are going to have a bunch of finished Flying Fish on the site relatively soon I expect. 

Well, the main mast is done (minus the braces) - more anon. Nothing major to describe, but here is a couple of photos:

IMG_20230723_231930362.thumb.jpg.1b00fd6c3d74f1a952514d536d16feed.jpg

IMG_20230723_231937835.thumb.jpg.e52e80919e05a6db7165149d40f1cda2.jpg

IMG_20230723_231952420.thumb.jpg.f4a01a7e7b8cc5cf10e3e3eb3a1625f5.jpg

IMG_20230723_232002135.thumb.jpg.36b7753c86f713a579ac968927045025.jpg

Interestingly, it appears I may have spoken too soon about the chain. I've been building mostly from the plans, and was looking at the instructions the other day, and it appears that I (a) misread the plans to think that all the halyards are chain, and (b) shouldn't have over-interpreted for the fore and mizzen off the drawing of the main. At a minimum, the fore and main skysail halyards should have been rope. Since I made the fore skysail halyard from chain, I decided to make the main match. For the mizzen I will follow the instructions and make the royal and topgallant halyards from rope, although I have enough chain. They are the lightest of the yards, so it makes sense. I probably should have either RTFM first, or ignored it completely, allowing for bliss in ignorance. One more error that I will be aware of and no one else will be.

With all that said, I think that I can actually put a list of what remains to be done that won't make me depressed; a list I can mark things off as we go. At this point, I believe I have:

mizzen yards: 5

lifts: 10

sheets: 10

clews: 8

Spencer yards: 2

topping lifts: 2

vangs: 4

Spanker boom: 1

Spanker gaff: 1

throat halyard: 2

peak halyards: 1

outhaul sheets: 2

vangs: 2

ensign halyard: 1

Staysail halyards: 6

Staysail downhauls: 6

Braces: 30

Stun'sl booms on hull: 2

Stun'sl booms on yards: 12

Davits: 4

Boat tackle:4

Decals: 3

Gilded balls on mast trucks: 3

Not a zero list, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. I didn't mention the other two ship's boats. I may model the ship with them on a task away. If I do include them, I'm probably going to make a cover so that I don't have to detail the interiors of what are a rather meh Brittania casting.

Finally, just a couple of fun photos from a work day I did over the weekend at the Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Point_Shoal_Light) in the Chesapeake Bay. The light was built in 1875, and is a wooden structure on top of an iron screwpile. As with any wooden and iron structure exposed to salt water and time, it requires more or less constant maintenance, so that's what we were doing - mostly painting on Saturday, but also replacing a window, and some hardware. I can't imagine what it was like to actually live there - it's only accessible by boat (we came in the Chesapeake Bay deadrise shown in the photo). The light has about the same amount of space as my younger daughter's not particularly wonderful Boston apartment and you couldn't go down the street if you go annoyed at the other people there. Even the lightships must have been better - they certainly had more spaces. Anyway, some photos. The light from the boat as we approached: 

IMG_20230722_093823971.thumb.jpg.e5f461a4decfd138c4bd2df6840f7265.jpg

The boat we came in on "Audacious"

IMG_20230722_123619808_HDR.thumb.jpg.05281b03a1b594187a88cd4cc2d8002e.jpg

Ice was a a constant danger for these screw pile lights, so rip rap and an iron ice breaker. Chesapeake Bay bridges in the background.

IMG_20230722_123625978_HDR.thumb.jpg.cf18abf2678425558591f4ecd2637719.jpg

The bay from one of the doors:

IMG_20230722_123553273_HDR.thumb.jpg.e2ab2bf5c4568f48707df144747ef1e5.jpg

And the restored parlor.

IMG_20230722_123509597_HDR.thumb.jpg.fae313b5127c11cc79ec09f4eb5f20ad.jpg

One of the other rooms is set up for a different historical period - 1986 - when the light was fully automated and the last Coast Guard crew left. This is worrisome, as there should not be 'historical displays' from when I was an adult.

As always, thanks for looking in and the likes. 

Regards,

George K.

Jib rigging:

IMG_20230727_211301306.thumb.jpg.dcbdcd9ca772b82782cc015ddd9ecc27.jpg

IMG_20230727_211313246.thumb.jpg.e8b6f5cab7645783e6ee6e85cfc35800.jpg

The list:

mizzen yards: 5                                 Jib halyards: 4

lifts: 10                                           Jib downhauls: 4

sheets: 10                                     Staysail halyards: 2

clews: 8                                         Staysail downhauls: 2

Spencer yards: 2                              Braces: 30

topping lifts: 2                             Stun'sl booms on hull: 2

vangs: 4                                        Stun'sl booms on yards: 12

Spanker boom: 1                             Davits: 4

Spanker gaff: 1                                         Boat tackle: 4

throat halyard: 2                         Decals: 3

peak halyards: 1                          Gilded balls on mast trucks: 3

By the way, if anyone knows how to embed a more proper two column view - I'd love to know - otherwise I'll just copy/paste this sorta messy version. Will probably do one of the staysails next, followed by the spencers while working on the mizzen yards.

Regards,

George K

2 hours ago, Rick310 said:

Getting really close now, FF looks great!!

I’ve been on vacation in Pemaquid Maine for the last 2 weeks so I’m really itching to get back to working on the model.

Well Done!!!

Rick

Thanks Rick.

I love that part of Maine. Back in '94 my wife and I biked up the coast from Portsmouth to Bar Harbor, and included a stop at Pemaquid Point, and one of our daughters used to go to/work at a camp in Maine, so we would come up many summers. We've stayed at the Hotel Pemaquid a couple of times over the years, and it's hard to beat blueberry pancakes at the The Seagull.

George

George, 
my daughter and I started coming to Pemaquid 30 years ago when she was six years old. We have always come the last two weeks of July now for 30 years and I am here now with my wife and my daughter and her boyfriend.

We  would get here Saturday evening after having stopped in North Hampton, New Hampshire to visit a nautical antique dealer, and go sailing with him out of Wentworth, we would get up to Pemaquid late Saturday night, and every Sunday morning we would celebrate, beginning our vacation by going to the Seagull for breakfast and blueberry pancakes!!

I used to live outside of Cleveland, but moved to Belfast Maine 3 1/2 years ago.  
I still keep my 2 weeks in Pemaquid every year!!  No place I’d rather be.

If you get back up here, let me know, would very much like to get together with you sometime.

Rick

Coming along nice with the rigging.

This boat that you rode to the lighthouse looks a lot like an old 40' USGC utility.  

IMG_20230722_123619808_HDR.thumb.jpg.05281b03a1b594187a88cd4cc2d8002e.jpg

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

On 7/29/2023 at 10:37 AM, Rick310 said:

If you get back up here, let me know, would very much like to get together with you sometime.

Thanks Rick, next time we are up that way, I'll take you up on that!

14 hours ago, ScottRC said:

Coming along nice with the rigging.

This boat that you rode to the lighthouse looks a lot like an old 40' USGC utility. 

Hi Scott. Thanks. It definitely does look like a USCG utility, and I think this is a 40', although it has a single prop.

Mizzen yard construction has begun. Got the right size dowels and mark them up for the myriad holes that need to be drilled for the myriad jackstay eyebolts, and the locations of the yardarms, and the centers where the cranes or yokes reside. Spencer gaff on top; the black piece coming out the back is a bit of wire that is going to be used to mount it on the mast (there is an eyebolt just waiting for it above the spencer jackstay).

IMG_20230801_232248908.thumb.jpg.686c45a02b8d2854e6f81190e5c5157f.jpg

Since I was doing the jibs, I figured, what the heck, I'll do the staysails, as shown below. And since the only thing left between the fore and main are the spencer and the braces, I figured I'd start on the fore braces, working my way down from the skysail. By the time I get to the topmast, I think I'm going to have to have the spencer in place, b/c I think once I get the top and course braces in place the pins are going to be a lot less accessible. But, by that time, hopefully putting the mizzen yards in place.

IMG_20230801_232241116.thumb.jpg.7d9ba1dba58f4f616544a80cdc84acde.jpg

So, progress on the list:

Spencer yards: 2                              Braces: 30 28

topping lifts: 2                             Stun'sl booms on hull: 2

vangs: 4                                        Stun'sl booms on yards: 12

Spanker gaff: 1                                         Boat tackle: 4

throat halyard: 2                         Decals: 3

peak halyards: 1                          Gilded balls on mast trucks: 3

I figure if I put 2 braces on per day, I can really make what otherwise will look like a big job go quickly.

Two notes. While working on the ship yesterday, I was trying to install part of one of the staysails, and knocked the main course yard. This yanked the starboard main top sheet crane from the deck. Trying to repair that found me with my pin vise partially glued into the deck at the main fife rail, and pulling that out, led to breaking the port top sheet chain, and knocking the main course yard askew. [VERY DEEP SIGH]. It took about 2 hours to repair everything. I doubt anyone would ever notice, but sheesh. One step forward, 8 steps back. I had something similar happen with my Niagara where my drill caught a line on the bowsprit and it took me hours to repair all of the damage. In both cases, thank heaven for modern adhesives. 

Second, remember that the mooring chocks may interfere with the belaying pins. I had to pull a couple and cut them shorter, otherwise I couldn't get the lines around the bottom as they pin bottom was touching the chock. Just something to think about.

As always thanks for the likes and looking in.

Regards,

George K

Short update.  Fore spencer gaff mounted and rigged.

IMG_20230805_113810430.thumb.jpg.8e67da98c096d9fdb956f468405c432d.jpg

Fore royal and topgallant braces rigged:

IMG_20230805_113801432.thumb.jpg.f0b7ffd66fd9d2c6ce0813a90c5c25a7.jpg

Whole ship:

IMG_20230805_113823906_HDR.thumb.jpg.d09a8e293b108c20a4465b9f878691f0.jpg

Current status of list:

Spencer gaff: 2 1                              Braces: 30 24

topping lifts: 2 1                          Stun'sl booms on hull: 2

vangs:  2                                    Stun'sl booms on yards: 12

sheets: 2                                           Boat tackle: 4

Spanker gaff: 1                                 Decals: 3        

throat halyard: 2                         Gilded balls on mast trucks: 3

peak halyards: 1                         

Change:

+2 (spanker sheets)

-8 (1 spencer gaff, 1 spencer topping lift, 2 spencer vangs, 4 braces)

Net = -6

I made the other spencer gaff, but I'm not going to install until the mizzen yards are in place. Similarly, I put some of the blocks on for the fore and main top braces, but I'm not going to actually mount the braces until the mizzen yards and the associated topgallant, royal, and skysail yards, because once the lower and top braces are in place, it's going to be even harder to get my hands in there, so I need to get moving on the yards. At least the mizzen yards don't need stun'sl irons.

Regards,

George K

On 7/28/2023 at 10:23 AM, Rick310 said:

Getting really close now, FF looks great!!

I’ve been on vacation in Pemaquid Maine for the last 2 weeks so I’m really itching to get back to working on the model.

Well Done!!!

Rick

Re:  "By the way, if anyone knows how to embed a more proper two column view - I'd love to know - otherwise I'll just copy/paste this sorta messy version."   I use PowerPoint to create mine then do  a screen capture to produce a Jpg. file to post.