New To The Game

BeeWee

Hello BeeWee, welcome on board to MSW! Your choice in air brushes kinda depends on your budget, there are many to choose from.

Look around in "Painting, finishing and weathering products and techniques" blog and post your question there. Many on board will help along with quality answers.

Post your build on a new blog also, so we all can see your craftsmanship and follow along. Look forward to seeing your build.

Edited by Jonathan11

Current build project: 

CSS Alabama 1/96

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20148-css-alabama-by-jonathan11-revell-196-scale-kit-bash-90-historical-accuracy/

Finished build projects 2018:

H.L Hunley 1/24

CSS Arkansas 1/96

Welcome BeeWee.  Yes, please start a build log, if you care to. I’m finding it opens a lot of doors to communication with the community.  I’ve gotten a lot of help already from mine, help I didn’t know I needed at the time. 

Current Build:

USS Tinosa (SSN 606) Fast Attack Submarine - Scratchbuild

BeeWee, from PNW a warm :sign:

Bluenose is a great ship to build and has a lot of history to it.

Besides MSW has many build logs for you to look into regarding details and ideas.

Airbrushing is a completely different chapter, many of our builders don't use that kind of tool, only regular high quality brush.

For large areas, sure airbrushing is helpful.... but then again, airbrushing can be used in other areas than model building, comes really handy around the home as well.

When it comes to airbrushing, a compressor with a tank (provides the best and even pressure) is to go for. Regarding brand I have no idea, but expect to invest some 140 -160 dollars for the unit itself.

Now the "brushes" are the tool that will create the flow and patterns, here is a simple rule "Higher Price = Higher Quality"

Again expect to price tags from 120 and upwards for good quality, here I do have some recommendations; Badger, Iawata and Paache is names to look at.
Airbrushing is fun, my Bluenose is airbrushed. 
Practicing with plain water on a regular paper will give you the feel of the "brush"

Good luck and a very warm Welcome.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Welcome to MSW. You can't go wrong with any of the airbrushes mentioned by Nirvana. I have an Iwata Eclipse and its pretty decent airbrush.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)