Heller 1/100 HMS Victory - Question on size

Bill97

Do any of my fellow modelers on this fantastic site that have built, or are currently building, the Heller 1/100 HMS Victory know the dimensions of the completed model? I could sure use help knowing the total length, height, and width. I assume the greatest width would be the bottom yard on the main mast. I can take the measurements in inches or metric. Which ever you may know. Long boring story as to why I need this information. I have researched the model on line and am surprised of the variations I am getting. 

Moved by moderator to proper sub-forum.

Completed model dimensions listed for the kit are 1100mm x 700mm x 160mm (43" L x 27.5" T x 6" W).

Current build: Minicraft 1/350 Titanic - aftermarket PE Brass details from Tomsmodelworks and GMM  and wood deck from Scaledecks

On The Shelf: Revell 1/96 U.S.S Constitution (1976 issued kit) - aftermarket wood deck from Scaledecks

Revell Germany 1/350 Battleship Bismarck

AL San Francisco II

Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge (modified from AL HMS Endeavour Bark 1768 kit)

1:14 Capt. Quint's ORCA from JAWS (scratch-built static project from R/C Model plans)

Way in the Future: Trumpeter 1/200 Battleship U.S.S. Arizona

Trumpeter 1/200 Battleship U.S.S. Missouri

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I can see those numbers on the internet too and no wonder Bill is confused.  I can assure you both that Victory is more than 6" wide. That might be the hull itself, maybe (?), but the main yard with studding sail booms is much longer. The width I gave was for my model which is "bare sticks" with booms stowed. If you want to rig it sailing with studding sails set it would be much wider.

As for the 44" long I don't know where that comes from either. That value exceeds the length of my case which has 1-1/2" to 2" of space at each end of the model. Perhaps if one had a large flag streaming aft on the ensign staff?

P1010140.thumb.JPG.f22060f510204bafe92911ee9aa7258d.JPG

P1010183.thumb.JPG.5ba28cfb84b844205e37da3fcdc1cdb0.JPG

Edited by Ian_Grant

Thanks Ian. That helps a lot. I have the model now and will start it in the next few months. Your case size will be the same size I make my case. It will fit perfectly in the space I have planned for it. Will fit in the bottom left to go along with my USS Constitution, Cutty Sark, and English Man O War. 

69FABD3F-852F-420D-ACBD-167BBDAEAD99.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Nice display, Bill !!  I made the Connie and Cutty Sark in high school back in the seventies. I still have them although I decided to scrap the Connie a year ago; for some reason I gave the sails a green/brown wash and I came to realize they look mildewed. The bosun would be hung for that!

I used a couple of the upper yards as donor yards for Victory's fore and main royal which Heller do not provide. They're lashed inside the topmast shrouds for stowage.

I don't know how much you've looked at your kit, or know about various problems found in certain Heller ship kits, but as forewarning here are some other things Heller do not provide for Victory: fore lower studding sail booms; any and all yard parrals; stream and kedge anchors, and buoys; fish davits; usable deadeyes and blocks; usable thread.

Looking forward to your build log; it's always nice to see another Victory come together.

Me again!  I should also mention the appalling rigging instructions, or lack thereof. I don't know if you were aware of this. The separate Revell rigging instructions are a joy to follow, all laid out neatly and in a logical sequence. Heller has scattered rigging "instructions" all through the assembly manual in nearly illegible print. In order to see where a rope goes, one must find its two ends which could be on any pages whatsoever.

I cannot stress enough to you that you should buy a book as a rigging guide. The "bible" for this is "The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships" by Longridge. It has many beautiful diagrams and separate descriptions of each rigging line complete with rope and block sizes. There is also a much smaller book, "HMS Victory Classic Ships and how to model them" by Hackney. This book is geared to enhancing the smaller Airfix model but it also gives rope-by-rope instructions albeit with less impressive diagrams. The "bible" mentioned above is much much thicker but much of it is concerned with scratch building a wooden hull and masts which is of little use to the plastic modeller. The rigging part boils down to the last 65 pages. Either book will inform you of additional ringbolts and blocks which must be mounted on the deck in order to properly rig, for example, lower yard truss pendants (I mentioned in my earlier post that Heller provides no instruction as to how the yards are attached to the masts) LOL.

As I said earlier the provided deadeyes and blocks are useless; aftermarket wood parts should be acquired. I recommend Syren wood blocks. In order to properly rig her you will need about six block sizes, in singles doubles and occasionally triples, and five or six sizes of both  black and tan thread.

Finally, there are eight brass etch sheets available to enhance this model. I highly recommend at least the two containing deadeye chains and preventers (Heller provides none), and stanchions (the brass parts have actual eyes for threading whereas the plastic parts do not).

Brass etch can be viewed at  http://www.dafinismus.de/index_en.html ...click on "...parts for the Heller kit".

Sorry if all this is known to you.....I don't know if you have made models other than the beautiful Revell ships you showed us. The Heller "Victory" is  a whole new ball game. Looking forward to your build log!!!

PS  Here are some shots of a home-made parral; brass etch chains in place; brass etch stanchions.

P1010047.thumb.JPG.c6cda5a1c044f8f4cdabad2cc42e13cb.JPGP1010146.thumb.JPG.79c02abc320181fd8d7057c1afa07c96.JPGNelson_Hardy_2.jpg.464580b06831118158ed811e121a924a.jpg

Edited by Ian_Grant

Ian,  have you found Dafi's build log here on MSW?   If not, I can't recommend it enough.  I'm not plastic or Victory guy but his log is loaded with research and methods.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark, thanks and yes, I'm familiar with Daniel's work from the now defunct Pete Coleman site devoted to the Heller Victory. I had the pleasure of buying some of his brass etch to enhance my build.

My favourite Daniel build is:

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/349-sms-trinkstein-by-dafi-sos-stone-on-soil-flush-deck-frigate-of-the-austrian-mountain-navy/?tab=comments#comment-3313

The SMS Trinkstein is an absolute great log.   I highly recommend it for anyone who's not seen it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 11 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...