paperdrawing transfer to cad

I am glad someone asked this question, well done Helge.

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Good Afternoon Helge;

If you have a completed drawing on paper, I assume of a large size, the  usual course would be to have the drawing scanned at a printer's works or by someone with a large-format scanner. The output will then be in a digital format, ideally png file, which can then be sent anywhere in the World by email, and loaded into a CAD drawing as an underlay. This underlay will have to be traced over using AutoCAD generated lines, arcs or curves, though, before it can be 'seen' by the CAD software.

I am not aware of any software which will reliably convert a paper drawing, or a digital scan of a paper drawing, straight into a usable CAD drawing. There has been  some discussion of this on this forum, and the outcome seems to be that there is, as yet, no reliable way of making a straightforward conversion, despite some programmes claiming to do this. 

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

I assume you haven't used any CAD program yourself.

Prior to someone offering to do work for any compensation they would need to see the drawing(s) to appreciate the enormity of the task to be done.

Having done engineering drawings for clients for well over 30 years I can attest to having experienced the "what the client said. what the engineer heard.  what the client wanted" phenomenon.  It should be avoided or there will be a great disappointment for both parties.

Mark is correct in the steps to do the work.

Can you post photos of the drawing(s) you would like converted?

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

On 12/13/2020 at 4:55 PM, AON said:

Prior to someone offering to do work for any compensation they would need to see the drawing(s) to appreciate the enormity of the task to be done.

Having done engineering drawings for clients for well over 30 years I can attest to having experienced the "what the client said. what the engineer heard.  what the client wanted" phenomenon.  It should be avoided or there will be a great disappointment for both parties.

yes I have some photo of the drawing,I buy from nmm in london,sorry for the late replay.

helge

nmm surprise 1.jpg

nmm surprise.jpg

I am making sawdust at the moment.

Will have a closer look in an hour or two.

Possibly Vahur will respond also.

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

On 12/13/2020 at 4:55 PM, AON said:

On 12/15/2020 at 7:49 PM, Wahka_est said:

Scanned drawings can be used base for dwgs and then its just time. Agree with AON-need to see drawing first.

After seeing that maybe i can help.

Vahur

ok,here are some photos of the drawings I buy at nmm in london,and sorry for the late replay.

helge

nmm surprise.jpg

nmm surprise 1.jpg

Yes ,bulkheads ,keel,stem,stern post,quarter galleries,stern galleries,bowrails,rudder, gunnport pattern,(inner and outer),gunndeck,quarterdeck (toppdeck) etc. No need the exact locations of chainplates. I have papir drawings that is veary clear,the only problem is that the drawings are in the uk for the moment,with a designer company that will give me a quote,I have also  an contact with another  member that can help me. I have to 

see what I will do.Can you estimate some cost. The photos is downloaded from nmm website,and I dont know if you can use these photos if I give you the mesurements?

helge,norway

On 12/21/2020 at 2:40 AM, helge said:

I dont know if you can use these photos if I give you the mesurements?

Probably not, they are very small, low resolution images... (probably 72 DPI) way too small to digitally redraw....

Most cad transfers are done at 1-1 scale, it is much easier to do that way..... The Best software for doing this is Autodesk's Raster Design, (an add on to autocad) It's designed to take existing scanned paper drawing images and convert them into cad drawings.... Been in used for several years now and has all the tools needed to take out any scanner distortion that is added to the drawings in the conversion process, and yes there will be distortions...... Happens to all scanned drawings.... It is still a trace over process though, just that Raster Design is intended to make the process as painless and easy as possible......

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

• 1 month later...

You can trace any drawing with tracing software but the question is if  the projections of the drawing are consistent with each other?
To verify it you should use shipbuilding software anyway, like DelftShip for example. If the drawing includes digital data your task will be easier.

necMonitor 1.JPG