"The Lubbers Hole" series of Patrick O'Brian podcasts on Youtube!

uss frolick

These are not summaries or dramatic readings of the books, but discussions about the characters, plot twists and impacts the series has had on the literary world. They are really well done, and if you need some appropriate background noise, 'whilst you're widdlin', these might be of interest to you. This series started, with Ian and Mike, about six months ago, and there are currently 35, roughly hour-long episodes, yet they are only up to the book, 'The Ionian Mission'.

I urge you all to subscribe to their Youtube Channel. There are only 66 subscribers to date, so maybe we swabbies we can do something about that there low number!

Here is episode One, Master and Commander, part 1. Enjoy:

I subscribed and will certainly be listening in. Hopefully they continue on with their effort. Thanks for showing it frolick, I don't know if I would have ever found it on my own.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Just subscribed.

I have the wholes series - occupies a place of honour in my bookshelf. I re-read them on a regular basis.

Edited by Louie da fly

• 2 weeks later...

Update: This series is turning out to be really good. There was nearly ten hours on The Surgeon's Mate alone, divided up into nine pats. Great discussions, and many episodes feature special guests, who are experts of specific topics, such as medicine, period formal parties, music, sailing, history, etc.

Edited by uss frolick

I recently started reading the series of books.

The podcasts explain some of the finer points that flew over my head.

Also having a precis of the storyline(s) helps me understand the reasons behind the twists and turns of the plots.

Richard

I see that there is a refurbishment program underway for the replica HMS Surprise in San Diego ...  HMS Surprise: Then and Now (Master and Commander)       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyTJaW6JcA4    ...  

The video mainly focuses on replacing the 50 year old decking with a new type of decking material that is more watertight. 

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

I've been listening to their podcast for a few months now. I soak in the hot tub with a glass of something adult to drink and listen to the podcast. I've circumnavigated the series a number of times now and there are so many new things every time I read them. This podcast is also bringing to light things I've missed in previous readings. I plan to read the series again in conjunction with the podcast as I go to hopefully dive deeper into it. Best English literature ever written if you ask me. 

• 3 weeks later...

By the way, an amazing video of the making of the Master and Commander movie with footage I've never seen before - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTJBXmFnxOU

Steven

Well, that was excellent...what an insight into the making of the movie. Thanks. It's a crying shame market conditions stopped them making any others in the series.

Richard

Edited by Rik Thistle

• 2 months later...