yards

DaveBaxt

The center  section on a number of the yards are shaped to what looks like a hexagon . I Can,t make out from the drawing whether of not they are shaped or is there pieces of wood such as planking strips added to form a hexagon? Is this likely to be some filing to form a flat area to increase the gluing area between the Yard and the added strips of wood? Hope this makes sense.. Best Regards Dave.

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Dave,

It is octagonal.

The normal way to create a spar is to start with a square cross-section timber. It is then tapered from the larger cross section in the middle to narrower square cross sections at the ends. This forms the basic shape of the spar. Then it is shaped to octagonal cross section, and the outer parts are trimmed again to sixteen surfaces, and then it is trimmed to make it round. This was/is the way to get cylindrical and conical pieces without having a lathe, using hand tools like planes and spokeshaves.

Sometimes the middle section is left octagonal. Sometimes it isn't.

Edited by Dr PR

6 hours ago, Dr PR said:

Dave,

It is octagonal.

The normal way to create a spar is to start with a square cross-section timber. It is then tapered from the larger cross section in the middle to narrower square cross sections at the ends. This forms the basic shape of the spar. Then it is shaped to octagonal cross section, and the outer parts are trimmed again to sixteen surfaces, and then it is trimmed to make it round. This was/is the way to get cylindrical and conical pieces without having a lathe, using hand tools like planes and spokeshaves.

Sometimes the middle section is left octagonal. Sometimes it isn't.

Thanks for that very interesting answer and will come in handy if in the future I am not supplied with dowels. However In this kit all the spars,mast are round. So do I need to add the sides by adding flat pieces of timber or just file the required shape? I just doubled checked. There are 6 sides (Hexagon) so not the normal.

Edited by DaveBaxt

18 hours ago, wefalck said:

Where did you double-check ? And what kind of ship are you working on ? 

The Main Scale drawings. HMS Bounty by Amati. There is nothing mentioned in the instructions but looks like pieces have been added as the corners are a bigger diameter and the flats look flush. So I think this would mean that the flats would be filed then flat pieces of wood glued on . Decided to give you a couple of photos of drawings ( Not to scale ) Hopefully it will clear the matter so you can help me decide which is the best way forward. Once again thank you for your input

DSC_1239.JPG

DSC_1238.JPG

Edited by DaveBaxt

I came across this video which clears up the matter. However all though this is the easiest way I am not 100% convinced this is actually the correct way. The part in question is about 7.5 minutes in. Once again your comments would be much appreciated. Thank you.

20 minutes ago, wefalck said:

I think what we meant, was whether you checked against historical sources or reference books based on historical sources. Interpretations of kit-makers are often not very reliable and dictated by kit-production convenience.

I see where he is coming from. However as it is only the second model I have built I think I will go down the route which is using what is supplied by the kit manufacturers which is the easiest way for me.It is something I will need to consider if I ever decide to scratch build or if the kits I buy are more authentic.

Thanks for clearing that up for me and for your input.

I understand that point. On the other hand, the dedicated fora, such as MSW, open up the way to obtain informations and directions that in those dark pre-Internet ages would have not be so easy to come by. With this one can improve on kits, if necessary. This should give much more satisfaction at the end. There are many examples here on MSW, where people made magnificent and historically quite correct models out of the kit material.

Why don't you rephrase your question and re-post it to attract the attention of people who have more specific knowledge of HMS BOUNTY ? You could ask in the title of the post something like "How were the yards of HMS BOUNTY constructed ?". The answer may well be that they were hexagonal in the middle ...

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

4 hours ago, wefalck said:

I understand that point. On the other hand, the dedicated fora, such as MSW, open up the way to obtain informations and directions that in those dark pre-Internet ages would have not be so easy to come by. With this one can improve on kits, if necessary. This should give much more satisfaction at the end. There are many examples here on MSW, where people made magnificent and historically quite correct models out of the kit material.

Why don't you rephrase your question and re-post it to attract the attention of people who have more specific knowledge of HMS BOUNTY ? You could ask in the title of the post something like "How were the yards of HMS BOUNTY constructed ?". The answer may well be that they were hexagonal in the middle ...

I might well do that however I have started the a blog on the Bounty and will probably ask that very question on there. I am nowhere near the rigging stage yet but as I have never done any rigging before and I have what seems like lots of questions. I will ask this again once I am nearer to doing the  rigging.

Edited by DaveBaxt

Have you looked at the other build logs for Bounty by the same kit maker?  That's actually a very good starting place to find out what others have done.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

10 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Have you looked at the other build logs for Bounty by the same kit maker?  That's actually a very good starting place to find out what others have done.  

I have Mark but had no joy. I did however find one answer in the video ( The link is in a previous post) Thanks for your input which is much appreciated.