Gluing Second Hull Planking

Am in the process of starting to second plank the hull of the Independence.  I have noticed a number of recommendations about using contact adhesive or super glue to apply the second planking.  I am not keen on using contact adhesive.  Any other recommendations ?

Hide glue is the longest proven glue based on models centuries old, but  PVA wood glue such as from Elmers or Titebond and others are more forgiving than CA or contact cement and have quite a few years of history. There are hundreds of advocates of all types of glue at MSW, but the majority have had success with PVA over the years based on posts you will find about questions on what glue to use that come up every month.    At the least try some test pieces of each that you are interested in using and find what you like best.   

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 2 weeks later...

I am by no means an expert infact I have almost completed my first attempt at second walnut planking. After several approaches using elastic bands to hold the planks in postion  the following for me was this,After tapering the planks and giving them a good soak I then shaped them using a heating iron ( soldering iron with a round head)  on the model its self. I then used PVA glue (trade name speed bond)  I then used the heat iron to dry the glue whilst I held the planks in postion . After reading several suggestions on MSW to use PVA rather than CA which I also tried. Anyway This method I found the easiest for me . Although not perfect I found this to be the easiest for me. Here are a couple of photos of my progress so far.

DSC_1260.JPG

DSC_1262.JPG

DSC_1261.JPG

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

2 hours ago, SpyGlass said:

I have never risked applying heat on the build - since I use PVA it could soften existing joins .

But that seems to have worked fine for you.

I see you use the "false rabbet" method at the bow with a bit of scrap - invaluable !

Being a beginner I have not been doing a Rabbet but would like to try on my next model.

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

I use CA for planking and have for 20 years and 10 models. There are grades of CA, I use Smith Industries. I also use White PVA and Titebond wood glue depending on the task. 

You should use what works for you and not what others insist is best. Plenty of the best builders use CA for planking. 

BTW CA is an abbreviation for Cyanoacrylate not contact adhesive. 

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose