How many coats is required. Do I need a second coat after installing the wales (rubbing strakes ) assuming I have already carried out a coat of sand & sealer before fitting the wales. 

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Dave,  Not sure what you mean.  The wales are just another strake, but of thicker material and go on as you are putting in the other planking.  Why would you leave them off and then try to add them later?   I am probably missing something here, so my apologies if I am a little dense this morning.  Below sketch is how I envision this and it may not be what the kit suggests.

Allan

1746149025_PlankingSketch1.JPG.97fa01f527f7e1f895b54196f61286bf.JPG

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I am currently working on the Bounty by Amati. The instructions say the wales are fitted after the 2nd planking is completed. There is also video produced for Amati. The guy on the video clearly shows him fitting them over the completed planking. However he does not show if another coat of sand & sealer is then done. Here is a link to the video and is about 4.5 minutes in. Hope this helps.Best regards Dave

Dave,

Understood, they are laminating rather than assembling as was done in actual practice.   The only problem is that when the wales are laid in as another strake of planking, it parallels the strakes next to it but this does not seem to be the case in the photos above.

Regarding sealing and sanding I would think that this would be done after all the planking is complete rather than doing it with the second layer of planking and then the wales done separately.   If you sealed the planking then glued on the laminate to represent the wales, were there any issues with the glue bonding to the sealed planks?  With the sealer, I would worry that this would block the glue from penetrating and make the wales susceptible to delaminating in the future.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

34 minutes ago, allanyed said:

Dave,

Understood, they are laminating rather than assembling as was done in actual practice.   The only problem is that when the wales are laid in as another strake of planking, it parallels the strakes next to it but this does not seem to be the case in the photos above.

Regarding sealing and sanding I would think that this would be done after all the planking is complete rather than doing it with the second layer of planking and then the wales done separately.   If you sealed the planking then glued on the laminate to represent the wales, were there any issues with the glue bonding to the sealed planks?  With the sealer, I would worry that this would block the glue from penetrating and make the wales susceptible to delaminating in the future.

Allan

Allan thanks again for your response and no doubt you more than likely be correct. I notice also that the guy in the video used CA rather than PVA and also did not pre bend the wales prior to the gluing them so would that mean there could be more chance of them coming away at a later date. Best regards Dave

Hi Dave,

because you sealed the surface before laminating the Wales to the hull there will always be the chance that comes loose before to long. In this case I would probably use CA as well but the important thing is that you sand the sealer before putting any glue on. You have to rough up the surface of that sealer first before you can glue or it won’t have any thing to hold onto. A light sanding with 220 grit paper should be fine, if it is a poly coat you will notice the surface will turn white or translucent or what ever,  once it sufficiently sanded because of all the little scratches, if you go further than that you will take the sealer off completely (trust me on that one lol) hope this helps a little. 

Bradley 

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

10 minutes ago, Keithbrad80 said:

Hi Dave,

because you sealed the surface before laminating the Wales to the hull there will always be the chance that comes loose before to long. In this case I would probably use CA as well but the important thing is that you sand the sealer before putting any glue on. You have to rough up the surface of that sealer first before you can glue or it won’t have any thing to hold onto. A light sanding with 220 grit paper should be fine, if it is a poly coat you will notice the surface will turn white or translucent or what ever,  once it sufficiently sanded because of all the little scratches, if you go further than that you will take the sealer off completely (trust me on that one lol) hope this helps a little. 

Bradley 

Thank you Bradley for your input and I can see what you are getting at. Fortunately I haven't done anything as yet. I have only just completed my second layer of planking and have not done anything as yet. So I will add the wales before using anything on the hull. Just for the record. The stuff I will be using is called sand and sealer. I will double check what it actually is. The guy in the Amati video used it on his hull but then used CA to glue his wales.He does mention sanding the hull after adding the sand and sealer so maybe thats just his way of doing it. Best regards Dave

I have never heard of sand and sealer so thanks for that! I googled it and a quick internet search says its an oil based finish that you apply to unfinished wood, it quickly seals any pores and provides an excellent finish if sanded with fine sand paper. There must have been some confusion on my part sorry about that, it sounds like your on the right path though so nice work!

Bradley

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

14 minutes ago, Keithbrad80 said:

I have never heard of sand and sealer so thanks for that! I googled it and a quick internet search says its an oil based finish that you apply to unfinished wood, it quickly seals any pores and provides an excellent finish if sanded with fine sand paper. There must have been some confusion on my part sorry about that, it sounds like your on the right path though so nice work!

Bradley

Thanks Bradley for taking the time to look into that as I wasn,t sure whether or not I was going the right way. Best regards Dave

9 hours ago, allanyed said:

wales are just another strake, but of thicker material and go on as you are putting in the other planking.

Most kits just use another layer of planking to simulate the wale, applied on top of the second planking. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

1 hour ago, glbarlow said:

Most kits just use another layer of planking to simulate the wale, applied on top of the second planking. 

Thank you for your input and confirming what I eventually begin to understand is the case with this model. Best regards Dave