Helloooooo

Hi there. I’ve just joined the Group today. I’m a retired seafarer (38 years Service Royal Navy). I have been building POF ships since I was about 19. Six ships completed in between time away at sea. All builds have been from ‘in the market’ kits, but I am working myself up to take a leap of faith and semi scratch build HMS Prince from the Amati plans, which are on order. I just need to finish HMS Fly first; basic hull complete, main deck fitted and that’s it so far. 

I do like WW2 ships, mainly 1/350 scale in plastic, with all the aftermarket bits and bobs. Recently finished a paper and card 1/200 HMS King George V.

Really looking forward to sharing stuff on this site.

24 minutes ago, Henry Wombat said:

Really looking forward to sharing stuff on this site.

Hello, Henry Wombat, welcome aboard MSW.

It sounds like your interests are spread across all the key subjects here, I am sure you will find a lot of interest if you decide to add a build log (or two or three...) especially as you are a 'proper sailor'.

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome aboard, Henry!

2 hours ago, Henry Wombat said:

Recently finished a paper and card 1/200 HMS King George V.

Ooh, that sounds like a Halinski product -- that's a real feat. We have a small cadre of card model enthusiasts within our ranks.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

10 hours ago, Henry Wombat said:

HMS Prince

This inspired me to investigate my archives.  For a time, I explored building a model of HMS Prince 1670.

This was at a time when I was teaching myself some skills on the drawing board, so no wood was ever in danger.

My first step is to gather up as much information as I can find.

Long ago, I bought:

A set of 1:48 lines plans of the ship (model?), I think it is  from the Science Museum.  It is a really large photograph - on two sheets.

A set of 1:96  plans ID'ed with CM (Clive Millward?).

A folder of model plans 1:60  (POB - ugh) in Italian  Teconmodel .

I think I have a series of photos of the Science Museum model - probably from their museum shop.

At the time, I was working thru the design exercises in Deane's Doctrine.  This made me aware of "touch" as relates to keel and ship length.

Touch is what the dimensions in tables from the time list as the length of the ship.  It is ~20% shorter than the length on the gun deck.

I was corresponding with someone who was building a kit of HMS Prince. He was having trouble getting the deck gear placed.  It turns out that the designer of his kit confused touch with LBP. The hull was too short.  It could have been rescued early on by patching in an additional section of spine at the dead flat and duplicating or triplicating the midship mould.   

For your kit plans, it would be prudent to verify that the length of the hull is correct.

A first rate 17th century floating palace is about as daunting a challenge as it gets for a ship model.  If you are determined to forge ahead, but wish your first scratch project to have sufficient documentation and plans,  ANCRE has a recent monograph of a French 17th first rate that is both elegant and magnificent.  It is St. Philippe.  But a really challenging aspect is that all of the frames are canted forward between 1 and 2 degrees.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Welcome to MSW, Henry - from Oz, the land of the wombats.

It would be good to see a build log of your HMS Fly, even if it started from your current stage of completion - though photos from earlier in the build would be even better. In case you haven't come across them so far, the instructions for starting a log are here:

It's a great way to get help and encouragement (and the rest of us get to see the progress of your build).

Good to have you on board.

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly