David d400

Hello friends ,

is there anyone who has experience with this tool 

it looks fantastic for small aria ... 

i know proxxon has something similar but the proxxon one  it looks like a toy ,

also the vibration of proxxon its horizontal and that one its vertical ! So its much better ! 

"smooth seas do not make good sailors..."

:pirate41:

MY FIRS BUILD : H.M.S BOUNTY (mamoli)

SECOND BUILD :The concord stagecoach 1:12 youtube link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJzCs9umWPI 

CURRENTLY BUILD : H.M.S VICTORY (Caldercraft) : http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15501-hms-victory-by-michael101-caldercraft-scale-172/

There's quite a few different models of those out there.  Some oscillate side to side and other in and out.   It has it's uses for small parts not large one.   Also, best bet it is to check out various models and prices.  Prices and quality range wildly.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I have a Proxxon pen sander and can highly recommend it. This is my second one, the first lasted for 20 years or so. As Mark said, these tools are not designed for bulk removal of wood, but I have just used mine to fine sand the second planking on the hull of my Pegasus build. 

Cheers

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

AL's Endeavour,  Corel's BellonaAmati's Xebec,  Billing's Roar Ege, Panart's Armed Launch

Ships' Boats - Vanguard 1:64 and Master Korabel 1:72

Alexander Arbuthnot,  Christiaan Brunings,  Pevenseall by World of Paperships

HMS Pegasus by Victory

Captain John Smith's Shallop by Pavel Nitikin

Rumpler "Taube" 1911 by HMV

I got one for plastic models.  Comes with different sized heads as well as different grades of emery paper.  Am very pleased with it - very easy to use and adjust sanding speed, little of the vibation goes into the hands/wrists (unlike some other tools I have used in the past). Not sure how effective it would be for wood - depends on the emery paper used, I guess.

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam

Slainte gu mhath

L.H.

1 hour ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

adjust sanding speed,

You can't adjust the speed of the Proxxon. This has never been an issue when sanding wood, but could be if it is used on a plastic model.

Edit. Oops. The Proxxon has a choice of two power packs - one of them allows the speed of the tool to be adjusted. 🥴

Edited by Richard44

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

AL's Endeavour,  Corel's BellonaAmati's Xebec,  Billing's Roar Ege, Panart's Armed Launch

Ships' Boats - Vanguard 1:64 and Master Korabel 1:72

Alexander Arbuthnot,  Christiaan Brunings,  Pevenseall by World of Paperships

HMS Pegasus by Victory

Captain John Smith's Shallop by Pavel Nitikin

Rumpler "Taube" 1911 by HMV

I have a Proxxon pen sander.  It is hooked up to a MinCraft 12v variable speed power supply.

I don’t use it often but there are times when it will work better than anything else.  First of all, the long dimension of the tool is perpendicular to the action of the sanding head.  This means that it works well in confined spaces like the areas between frames in an open boat.  Holding it like a pen gives precise control.  The tool comes with several plastic “feet” that hold the sandpaper attached with pressure sensitive adhesive.  I sometimes make shaped shoes from wood that are glued to the feet to sand different contours.

I also have the Proxxon. And it’s GREAT for small detail work. I’ve only used it on wood...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways