Wasa by Bill97 - FINISHED - Airfix - 1/144

As you suggested Backer I painted the back part of the gun ports black. It does add depth. I like it a lot. Thanks again. I also got the rails painted white and the ornamentation along the rails painted green with faces. The bottom 6 horizontal raised boards are painted a slightly darker brown (Vallejo Leather Brown) against the Vallejo Dark Earth. Adds a little depth and texture. Little by little it is coming along. 

CB61F5BC-6B36-430A-A512-19D4A8349E53.jpeg

CBA788B9-9593-43DD-8257-5EF420E9699E.jpeg

7FB151DA-73D2-4FB0-9DDE-15A9BAB0F748.jpeg

Hello Bill, I'm glad to have found this log because  I just got this kit from my wife yesterday for my birthday.  With your log at hand I won't feel so lonely when I will start building her (right after I finish my CPRR n°60 Jupiter Paper model).

I am a bit confused about your deck color though.  Don't get me wrong ; the aging looks fantastic however, the Wasa didn't have time to age, she sank after sailing less than a nautical mile.

On the bench : Revell's Calypso

Your right dancooper. I had that exact thought when I was painting it!  Even when I considered adding a little more black wash around high traffic areas. I wanted to add some color to the deck. May have been better if I had gone with a “new wood” finish but this is the same process I used on other builds and it blends well with the other ship colors. But you are exactly right. Will be anxious to follow your build as well. Welcome to the Wasa. What is your plan for painting the ornamentation? Solid gold or multicolor?  This 1/144 scale is tiny. I may use a combination of both which I have seen on other builds. 

Bill, I love the way you weather your decks.  True, you could go back and make it look newer here, but an argument may be had for “what if” the proud Wasa had survived and functioned over the years as the flagship of the Swedish navy.  (Also, I’ve learned that it can be difficult to make a plastic deck look realistic without weathering it to a degree.)

It looks great as is Bill👍, I'll be following along as well as I await for mine to arrive. My approach will different though without any colors as she is today in the museum except fully masted and rigged.

Michael D.

Thanks Jeff and Michael. Jeff I like your “what if” theory. Maybe I will just leave it alone. Michael that is a great question from Hubac’s. Do you plan to weather it to look like the actual ship on the museum?  That would be a fascinating take on the build!  Will be anxious to see how your’s proceeds. 

Ok gentlemen here is my first question related to the actual build. The Airfix 1/144 edition does not show in the instructions, nor include a piece, that connects the two side rails at the front (see pic of instructions and my photo pointing to area I am talking about. A review of other model pics on MSW shows a rail across the front. All except kpnuts who also built the Airfix. What do you think?  Should there not be a rail here? Sailors could have just walked off the front accidentally. Do I need to fabricate something?

61CB8056-916E-48C0-9600-B04EDA10881B.jpeg

5998DD43-B489-4184-9F9F-68DA43DEB518.jpeg

D16A96A6-F9D5-43BD-B778-08C797F29F32.png

217139C5-7D32-488B-A058-3D236E564FB0.png

822A5CC0-8C6A-4FA4-9AE5-1241659EBC0F.png

6973350C-7C49-46D7-8583-4A020506B300.png

481799A1-7320-41E5-86DA-015947140510.png

E772A668-6EDB-48A9-91BA-A44FF6ADA177.png

BC76E67C-5AA7-4056-9957-B6162E21E62A.png

I would say it was a bit lazy on their part.  If I were making this part, in this scale, I would first scribe a bulkhead out of 1/16” styrene sheet to fit the space.  Then, I’d layout the pilasters and waste out the open spaces with drill bits and a sharpe EXACTO.  To finish, I’d use styrene strip to increase the thickness of the top and bottom rails, which also gives the impression that the pilasters are set into the rails.  I hope that makes sense.

One thing to keep in mind is that the bottom rail rests on top of the cathead timbers.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Went with something kind of like a rail with baluster. Basically a ladder laying on it’s side. Then added a piece below the bottom rail that ran between the cathead timbers. Once the glue dries thoroughly I will sand it a bit and paint it. Top rail white to match sides and maybe red balusters. Bottom rail earth brown to match rest of bow. 

E0E9FBB5-6EBA-452A-BF2F-0CF07252139F.jpeg

F5E022D9-0370-414C-A7E7-7E4560234052.jpeg

That is odd about the lack of a railing and I agree your decks looks fantastic Bill. Marc's fab idea is a sound one and yes I'll my best to duplicate the look as she appears in the museum....we shall see.

Michael D.

cheers with a cup of tea
(it is now morning here)

Nice work 👍

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Michael I know you are going to finish your Reale De France before starting the Airfix Wasa but I just wanted to bring your attention to an area I struggled with. Will be anxious to see if you have the same issues later or if I just screwed up in my assembly. I will explain and attach some pictures of the instructions and the model. I assure you I will not use correct nautical terms in my explanation but hope you understand from my description. In Step 1 you will see there is a little triangle shaped piece (#10) that gets glued into the bow area before you cover it with grate (#11) and the window piece (#9). Now I will jump ahead in the instructions. I did this during my build to dry fit pieces to make sure parts are glued correctly. In step 10 you will see the tail end of the bowsprit has a little foot of sorts that is supposed to go behind that previously installed (#10) and glued into the slot in the deck part with the windows (#9). When I tried this I found there was not nearly enough space for the little foot. I ultimately had to gently remove the grate (#11) and slowly trim the triangle shaped piece until I got sufficient space. I studied this for awhile thinking I had to be doing something wrong but never was able to determine my possible mistake. I also had to trim the top left and right corners of the window piece (#9) so that the cathead timbers would lay flat when I was building the rail yesterday. Hope this makes sense and I will be curious to see if you encounter the same issue when you start your Wasa.