HMS Beagle by Robp1025 - OcCre - 1:60

You could try very light tracing of the seams with a pencil to create a hint of a shadow. As Keith says, glue some wood scraps together and test the idea that way first.

On 6/26/2021 at 6:59 PM, Robp1025 said:

Alright so I'm sorry I have been MIA but I got hit with change of Job and all sorts of things to stop my progress but I got a little bit done. Went back to the life boats and started getting them squared away. IMG_20210626_215243135.thumb.jpg.3e0b80cb0b29d9ad2102fea43b6d51dd.jpgIMG_20210626_215254844_MP.thumb.jpg.c785fef1eea1cb8850a22fc72c1645f1.jpg

one issue I am having is the wood no matter how much I sand keeps staying frayed like thisIMG_20210625_100446774.thumb.jpg.b0db549097f3a4bd1e96d97998c90403.jpg

I don't know how to stop this so any suggestions or tips would be appreciated!!

Try an old emery board that your your wife / better half will not miss , its quite fine

2 hours ago, Pete D said:

Try an old emery board that your your wife / better half will not miss , its quite fine

That's not a bad idea thank you!!

13 hours ago, Cathead said:

You could try very light tracing of the seams with a pencil to create a hint of a shadow. As Keith says, glue some wood scraps together and test the idea that way first.

I will be trying some scrapes from now on and testing before doing anything it's the glue that keeps screwing me up because I think I sand it all down and it just shows right through so yea lol

I am having the same problem with paint. I just finished building up the foretop on my model, using planks as in real life, rather than the plywood from the kit. Then I painted it, and it might as well have been the plywood from the kit. You can't see any of the planking.

The only paint that will show planking detail like that is probably a very fine mist of spray paint. 

7 minutes ago, Keith S said:

The only paint that will show planking detail like that is probably a very fine mist of spray paint. 

Keith, once a hull is planked, filled, and sanded it's going to look seamless I don't care what type of paint used or how it's applied. I think the only way to see plank seams once the final sanding has been done is to remove the filler between the planks. How one would do that and with what tool where everything looked neat and tidy is beyond me?

1 hour ago, Keith Black said:

Keith, once a hull is planked, filled, and sanded it's going to look seamless I don't care what type of paint used or how it's applied. I think the only way to see plank seams once the final sanding has been done is to remove the filler between the planks. How one would do that and with what tool where everything looked neat and tidy is beyond me?

You're right, I don't think it would be possible. Anyway, like we were talking about in the other thread, in real life, paint was used to COVER the seams. It's always going to be a toss-up whether to show off your clever woodwork or to cover it up with paint. I suppose it's not reasonable to expect both, on models this small especially.

6 hours ago, Keith S said:

You're right, I don't think it would be possible. Anyway, like we were talking about in the other thread, in real life, paint was used to COVER the seams. It's always going to be a toss-up whether to show off your clever woodwork or to cover it up with paint. I suppose it's not reasonable to expect both, on models this small especially.

You are quite right I just need to find what works best for me. I think I'll just stick with acrylics for hulls and I can stain the other parts of the ship cause it worked well with the masts and was even. But as soon as you add filler and sanding it just is a free for all with stain what it will do. 

Rob/Keith, I've been thinking on how to make the plank seams noticeable. If one had a to scale caulking iron, one could drive the tool and work it along between the planks. It would be incredibly tedious but it might work. The tool could be a Xacto chisel blade broke off square with the end filled flat. image.png.88f0b34c594d20c8b5687c5688f72e29.png

• 4 weeks later...

Alright so finding my groove with when I'll be doing work on my ship has been a weird experience but I think I might start being a weekend crafter atleast so started today on some work with finishing up the main mast core and working on some yards. IMG_20210724_113230104.thumb.jpg.da5a121dfb8713aec79c6dce5d905160.jpgIMG_20210724_113233343.thumb.jpg.b7ab96f709f98f2bc31968a5b10f869e.jpgIMG_20210724_123509077.thumb.jpg.4e9bc6364f46d0d82bbe3c56c0a0f54f.jpgIMG_20210724_123512714.thumb.jpg.1381981b0f0673b3979c8033788c8a95.jpg

it came out pretty good I feel but looks a little off in the picture. When it's actually glued though it will be straight lol. 

IMG_20210731_111224291.thumb.jpg.32de2e1256fe02626a265e4b39edf2f0.jpg

will probably finish these yards by end of the weekend and start on the last mast before the part that scares me the most of this whole project.....making my huge sausage fingers try to rig this delicate piece of art...lol

IMG_20210731_111227705.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Robp1025 said:

So far not as bad as I thought it would be. Slow is the process but I'm enjoying it for sure!!!

IMG_20210822_170405155.jpg

IMG_20210822_170500012.jpg

Looking great. You've got ratlines just ahead of you, one of the most painful and rewarding parts of building the ship.

Previous builds: HMS Bounty's Launch (Model Shipways), USS Albatros (OcCre)

Current build: HMS Beagle (OcCre)

Future builds: HMB Endeavour (Caldercraft), De Zeven Provinciën (Kolderstok), HMS Victory (Caldercraft/De Agostini/Artesania Latina/Corel)

1 hour ago, Robp1025 said:

Can anyone tell me the normal distance between ratlines or is it just how much of a masochist I'm feeling at the given time 

I don't know what the normal distance is, but AOTS has the same number as the OcCre plans, which would come out to 24 cm in real life and 4 mm on the model.

image.thumb.png.a6eaf700c7e9405270b9e77e3b9c95ce.png

This man is about as tall as 8 ratlines, but it's difficult to tell with the angles and the way he is holding on, but that would be equivalent to 7 x 24 or 168 cm, which is possibly accurate, but there might be more spacing here. If you went with 5 mm, he'd be 210 cm tall, so somewhere in the range of 4-5 mm is probably right. I'd say 4 mm would be decent spacing, but you might want to measure yourself and see how many ratlines you can fit given the length of your shrouds. Also, from when I did ratlines on my last ship, it might help to do the top one and the bottom one first so they end up being the same height on both sides of the mast. I ended up messing up the spacing a bit and one side was slightly higher even though they had the same number of ratlines.

Previous builds: HMS Bounty's Launch (Model Shipways), USS Albatros (OcCre)

Current build: HMS Beagle (OcCre)

Future builds: HMB Endeavour (Caldercraft), De Zeven Provinciën (Kolderstok), HMS Victory (Caldercraft/De Agostini/Artesania Latina/Corel)

2 hours ago, Robp1025 said:

Can anyone tell me the normal distance between ratlines or is it just how much of a masochist I'm feeling at the given time 

In Mastini's "Ship Modelling Simplified" he says 16" (about 40cm) is the correct spacing. In LucienL's picture I would say the man is about 4.5 ratlines tall, which would equate to 6' which is about right. 16" at 1/60th scale is about 6.5mm. That is the spacing I used on my Beagle.

Complete:

OcCre HMS Beagle 1:60

Amati Victory Models HMS Pegasus 1:64

In Progress:

Amati Victory Models HMS Vanguard 1:72

Alright half way through the base of the shrouds then it's on to ratlines. This is really starting to get into some detail. I can't lie getting each one if these is like a milestone for each one because they are their own little project each set. It for sure is good fuel to keep me going through the grind. IMG_20210824_204817859.thumb.jpg.8c0adf04caa897d704e08961258e14c1.jpg

Oh boy do these knots not want to stay in place lol. I'm measuring like 5times before I put glue down to make sure they are good. But is truly is satisfying to see this come together IMG_20210828_173009624.thumb.jpg.c967ae5baec3ed534fa70c81d735207f.jpg

And with each one I feel I am getting better and better for sure!! Yes I know I should glue till I know it's spaced all the way up but I should fit 24 on at 4.5 mm intervals which was triple checked. But if it doesn't come out right I'll make sure to not glue till the top. My biggest problem is the tension I have keeps faltering as I was getting up to the 4th and 5th one so I had to stop and glue them down to keep the look I wanted. 

10 hours ago, Robp1025 said:

Alright one of 6 done!! It looks a lot better as I continued so I think my other 5 will look crisp 💕💕IMG_20210828_200909959.thumb.jpg.c3dcb386c956e4e8307a0bdadcf84c83.jpg

Hi there Rob. I’m new to wooden ship models as well and I started building this exact one. I’m currently starting the 2nd layer on the hull. I’ll be going over your log from the beginning looking for tips etc. 

2 hours ago, Keithsalter said:

Hi there Rob. I’m new to wooden ship models as well and I started building this exact one. I’m currently starting the 2nd layer on the hull. I’ll be going over your log from the beginning looking for tips etc. 

If you have any questions feel free to post them. These guys are awesome here and if you can put up a log I would like to follow!!

8 hours ago, Robp1025 said:

If you have any questions feel free to post them. These guys are awesome here and if you can put up a log I would like to follow!!

8 hours ago, Robp1025 said:

Set up a log today, HMS Beagle  1/60 by Keithsalter, OCCRE 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So the destroyers of ships have been at it again and I got a picture of their attempt.. I am still fixing their last break in to where I have been hiding my ship where they made it fall to the ground and almost break the main mast. Now I walk away for 5 minutes to help my wife and this guy is at it again. IMG_20211031_122617368.thumb.jpg.48474714d69fce75fcb873f390f7287c.jpg

It's like they don't want me to finish or something 😤😡🤬