Glory of the Seas 1869 by Vladimir_Wairoa - FINISHED - 1:72 - medium clipper

Obviously as Seen on photo AS Well, fcastle front was panelled. Pretty much white ať later stages byť who knows if not natural asi Well ať some tímes. So I followed capitans cabin decor to Keepi IT uniform. Sony be visible under ladders anyway..m forecastle Still without machinery but pretty much almost complete ať this stage...underneath inside still a bit messy ..

One thing, those commercial ladders 

annoy me. I am thinking od making curvier ones to correspond the éra. If im Up to that. Fór aesthetic sake IT woud look much nicer i Guess. 

V. 

IMG_20220930_161507.jpg

IMG_20220930_161927.jpg

IMG_20220930_161442.jpg

IMG_20220930_162032.jpg

IMG_20220930_162106.jpg

IMG_20220930_162112.jpg

IMG_20220930_161924.jpg

IMG_20220930_162036.jpg

Edited by Vladimir_Wairoa
Add

Someone's been busy :)  Looking good Vlad.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Vlad...so very nice to see you working *HARD* on your Glory.  Man she is coming along nicely.  I like your mods to the forecastle.  the addition of the davits and the Howes holes iron lips is a good move too.

One question.  I see you added the boat skid....but what configuration are you going to model for mounting her boats?   Her boats at a time rested on the edge of the carriage house and the skid.  The time frame you are modeling her....she did NOT have her boy cabin yet...so you can't mount the boats there.

I'm interested in the direction you are moving too.

She's looking good.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

1 hour ago, rwiederrich said:

Vlad...so very nice to see you working *HARD* on your Glory.  Man she is coming along nicely.  I like your mods to the forecastle.  the addition of the davits and the Howes holes iron lips is a good move too.

One question.  I see you added the boat skid....but what configuration are you going to model for mounting her boats?   Her boats at a time rested on the edge of the carriage house and the skid.  The time frame you are modeling her....she did NOT have her boy cabin yet...so you can't mount the boats there.

I'm interested in the direction you are moving too.

She's looking good.

Rob

Thanks Everyone fór input. Im glad Rob & Ruch that you  find fcastle updates plausible. Raiaing It Its big big change and move towards originap and oberall appearance of vessel. Lifeboats,  Indeed, We already discussed that in past. Im going to remove front rail above captains head of Cabin so i intend to  place them to originál position. Or I Could  hang them on davits not sure yet. Front of cabin IS Well documented in photos ATM and also visible under skid Beam so im not concerned to cover IT trom above AS i was before. 

By the say i hlave rather serious update about my figurehead. Friends seeing photos of her wanted to 3D scan IT fór modeling  :DD asking Vlad do you have sculpture in your posession ? I laughed a world out. no. Its in USA and unless i am president there IS noway i Can have IT. So We have to tender from photo. Obviously. Well im quite tempted to see the outcome. Fingers crossed. 

Moving aft on her next. 

V. 

Vlad....I'm thinking your boats need to be suspended in similar fashion as I originally modeled them on my old Glory model.

Rob

IMG_9459_JPG_d7ce9148d8024ee8f1a70689e8d66bd1.jpg

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Vladimir & Rob, it's evident from this 1869 fitting out scene, that the rear tip of the lifeboats did rest on the front edge of the rear coach house roof and a boat skid in the forward area. The photo's not defined enough to see it but by viewing the long drooping line at the fore davit, following over to the sternward side, between a sailor seated on the gunnal and another standing to his immediate left, there's a rectangular void interrupting the dark curving shadow under the upside down lifeboat which exactly matches the shape of the boat skid supporting it. Since the spaces between posts were 3 feet, it should be possible to mount lifeboats in between them giving an added advantage of supporting objects with which to lash down boats.

017.JPG.446470d69a58c3d1b3284cdbeb096ed9.JPG.jpg

Tryout of restoration...

I never amother lifeboat. Pity i cant find proper dinghy buT hopefully will do. 

Third tíme of sranchions removal. Im still nôt satisfied with their shape so fingers crossed last attempt. Previous harboring photo  pic IS great reference. Will paint davits white AS in photo. 

Boats to be clothed Up, im in aft finally. 

Im quite pleased that Cabin front view IS pretty much unspoiled and perfectly  visible . Now place front Is nôt empty and lifeboats will complete deck installation. 

Meanwhile Gatheting blocks chains and ropes fit winter craziness. Rescaling IS crazy. 

IMG_20221016_090953.jpg

IMG_20221016_091012.jpg

IMG_20221016_091015.jpg

IMG_20221016_091027.jpg

Stanchions...

These where hunting me for months. There was no chance to get aby  commercial stanchions of right priportions i Could be  satisfied with, and ones i made before were plain ugly as showed  - every groove and turn must be uniform when photographed. I found proper toothpick - and believe me its still a bit thick comparing to Human thigh and legs  We Could observe in heyday photos, byť its closer now. This IS probably quite easy and comon fór more experienced folks, but it was tough for me to make it satisfactorily. ...I believe those are not doable  in right priportions AS they were  way thinner in real life as on Robs vessel and scale AS múch AS they are beautiful they are oversized. But i woupdnt be concern AS they are piece of art Rob achieved.   I hope you like result of uniformity and simplicity. . im posting various stages of process.Stanchions are not of exact shape but i tried to Keep resemblance. Im going to bore them into floor and Up into the rail and i think it looks way more Authentic...

Still in process...thanks fór any comment ..observation....

IMG_20221016_182354.jpg

IMG_20221016_181504.jpg

IMG_20221016_181446.jpg

IMG_20221016_181401.jpg

IMG_20221016_181309.jpg

IMG_20221016_181237.jpg

IMG_20221016_181030.jpg

IMG_20221016_174024.jpg

IMG_20221016_171130.jpg

IMG_20221016_170332.jpg

IMG_20221016_163046.jpg

IMG_20221016_170324.jpg

IMG_20221016_162936.jpg

IMG_20221016_162553.jpg

IMG_20221016_162210.jpg

IMG_20221016_160355.jpg

IMG_20221016_181557.jpg

IMG_20221016_181554.jpg

IMG_20221016_181605.jpg

IMG_20221016_182309.jpg

Add

Super corrections Vlad.  Great job on the new stanchions.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

Thanks for comments gentlemen. 

Still going by some smallish details towards autenticity. 

There is a circus toyish curvature ať the end of skid beams ať the rooftops one could easily miss. Its not regular halfcircle but irregular roundless turning Sharp at the upper side of the halfcircle producing strange lovely profile. 

I redid AS previous iné was Also Small in size - its quite a Beam fór lifeboat to rest on.

What a Small element and gave me enormous joy. :)) Also bilge wheel spokes were Curved. 

Now boat and  davits are white, few more boats to come, and im ready fór winter. Thoughts thoughts thoughts, 

Thanks for watching...

IMG_20221018_123444.jpg

IMG_20221018_123538.jpg

IMG_20221018_123458.jpg

IMG_20221018_131434.jpg

IMG_20221018_131519.jpg

IMG_20221018_131522.jpg

IMG_20221018_153810.jpg

IMG_20221018_153718.jpg

IMG_20221018_155512.jpg

IMG_20221018_160536.jpg

IMG_20221018_160557.jpg

IMG_20221018_153831.jpg

IMG_20221018_160536.jpg

IMG_20221018_195511.jpg

IMG_20221018_195537.jpg

IMG_20221018_195608.jpg

Add

Chapter...? :)

Masts Down ! Installments Down. 

bare main deck....again.

i will be never satisfied with commertial flooring. But it serves perfect purpose as a template. Real floor to be joisted.

natural wood working rail already made. 

And mamy many more revisions. :) Hay ho. 

IMG_20221020_102243.jpg

IMG_20221020_133034.jpg

IMG_20221020_135159.jpg

IMG_20221020_135210.jpg

IMG_20221020_135235.jpg

Add

Vladimir, 

Since your creative process includes a major tear down of previously constructed structures, I figured you might also want to revise the configuration of your rear coach house as well. At first, it looked like Mike's never seen before stern image arrived too late to have an impact on your model's accuracy but now I'm thinking maybe not. Looking at the catwalks on both sides of the coach house viewed from astern, it's quite clear they remain a consistent width. The house itself has a beautiful curving feature which matches the ship's narrowing bulkheads. It's not a rectangle at all, the front is slightly wider than the rear. Even Flying Fish plans are somewhat vague about this common sense feature. Clearly Donald McKay intended to have consistent working area for the crew, which he valued more than the slight inconvenience of narrowing space for stern occupants.

20210428_090411.jpg

Edited by ClipperFan
grammar correction

48 minutes ago, ClipperFan said:

Vladimir, 

Since your creative process includes a major tear down of previously constructed structures, I figured you might also want to revise the configuration of your rear coach house as well. At first, it looked like Mike's never seen before stern image arrived too late to have an impact on your model's accuracy but now I'm thinking maybe not. Looking at the catwalks on both sides of the coach house viewed from astern, it's quite clear they remain a consistent width. The house itself has a beautiful curving feature which matches the ship's narrowing bulkheads. It's not a rectangle at all, the front is slightly wider than the rear. Even Flying Fish plans are somewhat vague about this common sense feature. Clearly Donald McKay intended to have consistent working area for the crew, which he valued more than the slight inconvenience of narrowing space for stern occupants.

20210428_090411.jpg

Thanks Rich, from what year IS the photo ? Im quite puzzled seing skid beams aside of crew cabin, than aftway there IS something like square white sheet spread throughout ending with ladders of some sort? 

Im sorry to dissapoint you Rich ať this point but I see IT byť I find curvature negligible to reconsider changing Coach cabin. Well its most likely roof that us Curved slightly which Could be dobe.  And event than i would hesitate AS  IT would sestrou front inlayec panel work which I wouldnt dare ruining. AS i might not be able to recreate IT. Problém IS that Cabin IS already built into poop deck floor and masť IS secured firmly. Its samé AS forecastle. There IS Also proper floor and everything IS built into iné amother nôt like was on main deck. I usually create installments temporarily that Can be removed and after when Woody settle i orefer to build proper floor into IT so there IS no Gap.  :) I see more important things that Can be improved byť thanks for bringing this. I will think if IT ať least . :)this pic ishelpful when installing rail stanchions anew. Fingers crossed and thanks fór help. Please comment anything you Wish. 

V. 

Add

1 hour ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Thanks Rich, from what year IS the photo ? Im quite puzzled seing skid beams aside of crew cabin, than aftway there IS something like square white sheet spread throughout ending with ladders of some sort? 

Im sorry to dissapoint you Rich ať this point but I see IT byť I find curvature negligible to reconsider changing Coach cabin. Well its most likely roof that us Curved slightly which Could be dobe.  And event than i would hesitate AS  IT would sestrou front inlayec panel work which I wouldnt dare ruining. AS i might not be able to recreate IT. Problém IS that Cabin IS already built into poop deck floor and masť IS secured firmly. Its samé AS forecastle. There IS Also proper floor and everything IS built into iné amother nôt like was on main deck. I usually create installments temporarily that Can be removed and after when Woody settle i orefer to build proper floor into IT so there IS no Gap.  :) I see more important things that Can be improved byť thanks for bringing this. I will think if IT ať least . :)this pic ishelpful when installing rail stanchions anew. Fingers crossed and thanks fór help. Please comment anything you Wish. 

V. 

Vlad,

This pic is from the early 1900s (I think 1913 but I have to verify that with original sent from Mike). Glory of the Seas has long since been converted to a floating factory barge, that's identifiable by all the new structure added to her decks in front of the original coach house. Original structures include her wheelhouse, now extended and her curving rear coach house with original turned rail stanchions. Everything else are eyesore additions purposefully added to facilitate her floating salmon processing and canning operation. By the way, I would never dream of ordering you to tear down and rebuild your creation. I just thought, since you had removed so much of your other buildings, you could slightly modify the rear half of the coach house. That's where it appears to curve on the real vessel herself. The front half doesn't have to be touched at all. Just a thought.

59 minutes ago, ClipperFan said:

Vlad,

This pic is from the early 1900s (I think 1913 but I have to verify that with original sent from Mike). Glory of the Seas has long since been converted to a floating factory barge, that's identifiable by all the new structure added to her decks in front of the original coach house. Original structures include her wheelhouse, now extended and her curving rear coach house with original turned rail stanchions. Everything else are eyesore additions purposefully added to facilitate her floating salmon processing and canning operation. By the way, I would never dream of ordering you to tear down and rebuild your creation. I just thought, since you had removed so much of your other buildings, you could slightly modify the rear half of the coach house. That's where it appears to curve on the real vessel herself. The front half doesn't have to be touched at all. Just a thought.

i will think if possible and how to manage it. thanks Rich. 

by the way as shown above now natural wood working rail is  made. ;) 

As I list back thru revision for pictures Im again thrilled how beautifuly fine drawings accompanied this endeavor. 

B13EDD69-F358-4EE5-A129-52FD576F0092.png

add

4 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

i will think if possible and how to manage it. thanks Rich. 

by the way as shown above now natural wood working rail is  made. ;) 

As I list back thru revision for pictures Im again thrilled how beautifuly fine drawings accompanied this endeavor. 

B13EDD69-F358-4EE5-A129-52FD576F0092.png

Vlad,

I'm humbled and honored at your enthusiasm for my work. Actually, look closer you'll see this simple rendering was done on the back of an envelope. Refer back to the photo which inspired this and you'll see that the short stanchion cant or slant , if you prefer is more pronounced then even my work depicts. It was this discovery which led to my conversation with Rob. That's when he clarified indenting the rail was done for rigging clearance.

Interesting progress Vlad.  I'm unclear as to why you removed all your deck furniture and masked off the deck?  Were you repainting the bulwarks?

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

2 hours ago, rwiederrich said:

Interesting progress Vlad.  I'm unclear as to why you removed all your deck furniture and masked off the deck?  Were you repainting the bulwarks?

Rob

Its more than that Rob. 

I made varnished working rail, decided to build completely new workers deckhouse, install proper floor and tipy liter stanchions around mizzen mast. :)

Works in  dockyard at Full speed. I just say im quite shocked how much must be rail stanchions around mizzen mast tilt inwards for shrouds to come straight. Its slow tedious proces with many curvatures and Angles to watch....Im not good ať building houses so i decided to throw away way bad toyish main deck house with imperfections and will build new one maybe over christmas.  Seems like my rigging will be postponed to next year ( probably if not later, byť untill im 100 percent Happy with her body i wont proceed:) ...All Made installments around masts and working stuff like púmp and houses will now be properly built Down  into final  floor. 

From Work ongoing..main deck flooring begun....hardest part on stbd side done. 

IMG_20221020_224234.jpg

IMG_20221020_224317.jpg

IMG_20221021_132636.jpg

IMG_20221021_133431.jpg

IMG_20221021_144019.jpg

IMG_20221021_144031.jpg

IMG_20221021_164009.jpg

IMG_20221021_164041.jpg

IMG_20221021_164054.jpg

IMG_20221021_164049.jpg

IMG_20221021_164114.jpg

IMG_20221021_164300.jpg

IMG_20221021_164358.jpg

IMG_20221021_164316.jpg

IMG_20221021_170205.jpg

IMG_20221021_170200.jpg

Add

Wow..Vlad...you are really redoing a bit of structures.  Remember..when you *cant* the poop stanchions...they return to vertical once past the backstay lanyards and round the stern in a vertical fashion...if not a slight outward slant(I wouldn't worry about that part)

One BIG reason why I prefer 1.96 is that it permits me to forego lots of tiny details that would otherwise be missed do to thier small size.   Your larger scale doesn't afford such benefits....if you want to be as accurate as possible.

I admit, I am glad to see you making the changes..especially the stanchions.

While, we are on the subject....I do not wish to contribute to any more remakes....but to keep things as accurate as possible...you might want to review several other items I'v noticed that are issues.

One is the location of your aft fairleads on the splash rail.  Photograph evidence shows them just forward of the termination of the forecastle edge and close by the wood billets.  Yours are too far aft and are actually in a useless location.  Review the image Mike Mjelde gave us of Glory from an overhead view...prior to her burning.  It clearly shows the starboard splashrails leading edge and you can clearly see the gap for the fairlead...just in front of that large staging board that was placed there during her canary refit.

Secondly(Unfortunately) is the design of your main mast fife rail.  You modeled it to extend quite far past the pump and wheels...but if you review the photographs....namely the one of her men working fish on her decks in Alaska....you will clearly see her rail ends at or slightly before the flywheels edge.

Please believe me...I do not mention these to throw a wrench into your fine work or any such thing.....I, just as Rich...only desire that you have all the info to make the most accurate model of Glory during the time period you are modeling her.

You've made so many self corrections up to this point......clearly demonstrating your desire to make the most accurate model you can.  

Good luck...and as always...you're doing a wonderful smart job.

Rob

Edited by rwiederrich

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

2 hours ago, rwiederrich said:

Wow..Vlad...you are really redoing a bit of structures.  Remember..when you *cant* the poop stanchions...they return to vertical once past the backstay lanyards and round the stern in a vertical fashion...if not a slight outward slant(I wouldn't worry about that part)

One BIG reason why I prefer 1.96 is that it permits me to forego lots of tiny details that would otherwise be missed do to thier small size.   Your larger scale doesn't afford such benefits....if you want to be as accurate as possible.

I admit, I am glad to see you making the changes..especially the stanchions.

While, we are on the subject....I do not wish to contribute to any more remakes....but to keep things as accurate as possible...you might want to review several other items I'v noticed that are issues.

One is the location of your aft fairleads on the splash rail.  Photograph evidence shows them just forward of the termination of the forecastle edge and close by the wood billets.  Yours are too far aft and are actually in a useless location.  Review the image Mike Mjelde gave us of Glory from an overhead view...prior to her burning.  It clearly shows the starboard splashrails leading edge and you can clearly see the gap for the fairlead...just in front of that large staging board that was placed there during her canary refit.

Secondly(Unfortunately) is the design of your main mast fife rail.  You modeled it to extend quite far past the pump and wheels...but if you review the photographs....namely the one of her men working fish on her decks in Alaska....you will clearly see her rail ends at or slightly before the flywheels edge.

Please believe me...I do not mention these to throw a wrench into your fine work or any such thing.....I, just as Rich...only desire that you have all the info to make the most accurate model of Glory during the time period you are modeling her.

You've made so many self corrections up to this point......clearly demonstrating your desire to make the most accurate model you can.  

Good luck...and as always...you're doing a wonderful smart job.

Rob

Thanks for inputs Rob i will look into IT. Some of them mentioned Rich AS Well I will jave to look ať photographs. :) All considered and thanks fór bringing it. I know your scale didnt allow tiny details. That was my main reason to build her bigger to be able to show suché details AS lanyard eyes on stanchions below main rail..etc. to be frank, i dont care múch fór rigging event i hlave All yards Made Prior i get some things better truer and nicer. IT IS big learning pointfor me AS e.g. for planking IT IS still very tiny work. IT Can be fór every scale depends what oné decides to portray. Learning learning. But loving it, bettering glory..

No Rush. Moving fairlead closer to fcastle  IS easy peasy. Etc....what photo shows them still within forecastle Area please? .V. 

Add