Glory of the Seas 1869 by Vladimir_Wairoa - FINISHED - 1:72 - medium clipper

On 2/10/2023 at 1:24 PM, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

apology for hijacking own thread for some different stuff, i need little pause from glory...

i learn to be patient so training carving...i must say even these poor egyptienne rehearsals and simple foliage is aaargh. i tried to clean corner more and slowed down .. and im waiting to get 1.5 mm chisel. its  painfully slow. boxwood is godsend fof sure. i simplified acanthus as im not up to it and besides original is 1:36 carved this is 1:48. smaller.

every mistake of shavinv wood against grain is gravely dearly  punished. 

working under magnifier. 

IMG_20230210_174018.jpg

IMG_20230210_181015.jpg

IMG_20230210_181058.jpg

IMG_20230210_191445.jpg

Vladimir,

Your talent as a creative artisan is clearly being way underestimated by.... you. This is beautiful, delicate scroll work, especially for a first effort. As for the coming pyramids, I imagine on the real vessel, they would have been thicker at the bottom, tapering thinner to their tops to mimic the real thing. Then it's a simple matter of scribing them to reproduce the large carved boulders which comprise the whole. I'm confident you'll get this done. Thanks for the brief detour from the dizzying labyrinth of rigging.

IMG_20230226_212341.thumb.jpg.eaf29756b01ff2fff2dc5dd6e2c257ae.jpg

On 2/25/2023 at 4:32 PM, ClipperFan said:

Vladimir,

Your talent as a creative artisan is clearly being way underestimated by.... you. This is beautiful, delicate scroll work, especially for a first effort. As for the coming pyramids, I imagine on the real vessel, they would have been thicker at the bottom, tapering thinner to their tops to mimic the real thing. Then it's a simple matter of scribing them to reproduce the large carved boulders which comprise the whole. I'm confident you'll get this done. Thanks for the brief detour from the dizzying labyrinth of rigging.

well Rich speaking of, ..first, thank you for interest about my next ship installment which would be absolutely wonderful french super  frigate Egyptienne  of year 1799. i have asthonishingly complete plans from ancre france so its worth checking on their site .there are two  period carved models is in french museum, both with quite different carvings motives. but i warn you Richard. you wont look at mine after you see what were randiose masters of bygone era capable of ...anyway you are flattering me enormously Rich but exaggerating at same time. well, lets leave it ..:) 

so than, pyramids and goddes looking into mirror was thankfully done with my nervousity all around the place. ..

i dont want to talk about it as I think very little about it..its a bit simplified again without crocodile... i tried to make sure no hairy corners and so on.

so i guess im at least glad, that surface strokes are much clearer now and even so i hope carved surface is smoother and cleaner tban before . i hope at last that objects are  identifiable.    :) im just happy its over and i can focus on second  floral part  where i feel much more confident and i will find more happiness making slowly. 

will post after completed.  i must sau this was very difficult for me as person should stand out far more than pyeamids so i had to bury pyramids first with two layers and body is still not 3 d enough bug flatter than should be. but true is, if anyone thinks carving is easy, i would say to try. its valley of tears, for first second third and 50 time :))) 

V. 

IMG_20230226_213155.thumb.jpg.f218d2a162f4dd9c574344453cc700cf.jpg

IMG_20230226_205743.thumb.jpg.88cc8c686e1828e4e89665dc60050125.jpgod

Edited by Vladimir_Wairoa
add

Looking good Vlad, those carvings came up really well.

cheers 

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Just saw the disaster, but a truly amazing recovery! I feel your pain, caught a bowsprit line in my drill on the Niagara. Pin vices for me from now on.

Anyway, she's looking great!

George K

Current Builds: Bluejacket USS KearsargeRRS Discovery 1:72 scratch

Completed Builds: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish | Model Shipways 1:64 US Brig Niagara | Model Shipways 1:64 Pride of Baltimore II (modified) | Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack | Heller 1:150 Passat | Revell 1:96 USS Constitution

Just catching up. I winced looking at the photos of the Great Entanglement and could not click 'like' on those images. Well done on recovering from that disaster, Vladimir. 

Carving is such a different skill set from other ship model activities and low relief scrollwork to scale is particularly painstaking. Your results so far look great.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

On 3/3/2023 at 2:16 PM, druxey said:

Just catching up. I winced looking at the photos of the Great Entanglement and could not click 'like' on those images. Well done on recovering from that disaster, Vladimir. 

Carving is such a different skill set from other ship model activities and low relief scrollwork to scale is particularly painstaking. Your results so far look great.

Thanks for comment Druxey, from you great is big compliment to me. 

Folks, 

I would like to highlight this moment of march and turn your attention towards Richards@ClipperFan  article in this months NRG journal volume about out Glory of the Seas. Big thank you Rich for masterfully written article and also to Rob for both their profound many years knowledge about glory, and what is sensational was collaboration with Michael Mjelde, foremost authority on subject and with his photography collection not materialised  in his previous plans and  drawings, we used.

for what started as geunine interest went on and on as turned  into quite intensive and detailed research as new photographs appeared etc. I believe this rare colaboration may be future help to anyone who might come into interest in this vessel or could use it with new views, evidences, or that might arise and so on. This is by no means complete study for many missing links and reasons, yet its undisputedly  closest so far in many ways. i want to thank everyone else not mentioned also for helping out in any possible way, either by pointing out towards anything of importance, or commenting and watching this 3 years plus work. 

V. 

Add

On 3/4/2023 at 11:23 AM, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Folks, 

I would like to highlight this moment of march and turn your attention towards Richards@ClipperFan  article in this months NRG journal volume about out Glory of the Seas. Big thank you Rich for masterfully written article and also to Rob for both their profound many years knowledge about glory, and what is sensational was collaboration with Michael Mjelde, foremost authority on subject and with his photography collection not materialised  in his previous plans and  drawings, we used.

for what started as geunine interest went on and on as turned  into quite intensive and detailed research as new photographs appeared etc. I believe this rare colaboration may be future help to anyone who might come into interest in this vessel or could use it with new views, evidences, or that might arise and so on. This is by no means complete study for many missing links and reasons, yet its undisputedly  closest so far in many ways. i want to thank everyone else not mentioned also for helping out in any possible way, either by pointing out towards anything of importance, or commenting and watching this 3 years plus work. 

V. 

Vladimir,

Thank you for the recognition of my soon to be published Nautical Research Journal 1st installment of "Reconstructing Donald McKay's Clipper Glory of the Seas" article. That's right gentlemen, NRJ's editor has already greenlit a 2nd installment following the completion of Rob Wiederrich's model. No guarantees but since Vladimir's larger replica is proceeding at a more modest pace, yet every bit deserving of recognition, I'm not ruling out the possibility of a 3rd article. 

As usual Vlad has minimized his own substantial contributions to this project. Taking advantage of his CGI knowledge, while I was seriously struggling with a 1:96 scale hull reconstruction using rulers, curved forms, sheets of 11"×17" paper taped together, Vlad incorporated all dimensions we unveiled and banged out Flying Fish style center piece with corresponding bulkheads. He then had one each custom produced for Rob, me and himself. Ours are 1:96th while Vladimir's is 1:72nd. 

I owe a personal debt of gratitude to Druxey who graciously volunteered to edit my manuscript prior to submission. From all the red ink which returned,  I learned a humbling lesson. Who knew I wrote so many, oh so many.... run on sentences? Thank you Druxey for taking my random wordings and turning them into a submission that has now been accepted for publication.

Edited by ClipperFan
grammar correction

• 3 weeks later...

Good day Vlad…. How are you doing?  Haven’t seen much advancing or any updates. I pray all is well.  
 I suspect you are working on the yard braces by now…….if you’re keeping on your rapid pace.  

watching……

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

10 hours ago, rwiederrich said:

Good day Vlad…. How are you doing?  Haven’t seen much advancing or any updates. I pray all is well.  
 I suspect you are working on the yard braces by now…….if you’re keeping on your rapid pace.  

watching……

Rob

good day Rob, 

its all alright overhere, i know with my frantic pace it looks suspicious when suddenly calmness, hh. youre slightly ahead with your suspision, because i was waiting for restocking blocks inventory. but yeaj thet is the plan. i already arrange summer works so modeling pause - but i just want to finish glory until summer hits here. 

and i have one more surprise as far as glory. but leave it for later :) thanks for watching, i got word from post that  blocks are landing so im in work in few days when rainy. as soon as something complete materialised, ill post update. it continues. 

have good days ahead 

v. 

1 hour ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

good day Rob, 

its all alright overhere, i know with my frantic pace it looks suspicious when suddenly calmness, hh. youre slightly ahead with your suspision, because i was waiting for restocking blocks inventory. but yeaj thet is the plan. i already arrange summer works so modeling pause - but i just want to finish glory until summer hits here. 

and i have one more surprise as far as glory. but leave it for later :) thanks for watching, i got word from post that  blocks are landing so im in work in few days when rainy. as soon as something complete materialised, ill post update. it continues. 

have good days ahead 

v. 

Oh good.....I like surprises.   I suspected you were on a block making fest or a line seizing fest.  Can't wait for an update.

I too have been away from the bench, due to summer maintenance work schedules.   I'll probably be trolling more often then not...these spring/summer months.

Good to hear from you.

Rob 

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Glad ……are you going the full meal deal, with furled sails?

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

10 hours ago, rwiederrich said:

Glad ……are you going the full meal deal, with furled sails?

Rob

oh no Rob,  no way. besides i still dont have tracking blocks on shrouds... im going only  sheets as they go with sails removed. but i can tell, doing this on mounted yards on ship is going to be pita thing. this will be painfully slow....well enough crying. :)

Running rigging of fore sails

Good day. I see easter holidays are upcoming. Third one as we fidle with glory. 

I must say my objective is evolving with my previous intentions as far as rigging. will see how far i am to go. first, this build is getting more and more expensive :):( as im not blocks and rope maker...oh well. 

than, I must say one must study pretty hard to get picture of  what clewing to bunt or up to yard arms means and so on....

I heavily rely on Underhill, Robs observation  and thankfully EdT young america -  is probably best visual explanation of different clipper. and I rely on everyone I can find and understand a clue....I can clearly say even Underhills book is godsend, its definitely not written with simple guy in mind :). at least visually. :) or maybe my english is barrier...anyway

I must say I regret not having Crothers rigging book. I never seen one in person  but from Crothers other book i really like his writing style. 

There is many issues I run into. bowlines ? yes or no..i can say from EdT build there was ton of remarks, ....so . I hope stepping carefully around her. 

i dont know why i picked glory for my first rigging, but must say, with running rigging fun starts. surgical instruments :))) ship looks agaij but different and nicer in my point of view with more beige lines...

and yes i quickly run out of blocks and ropes so there will be pause again. anyway it looks like this project will reach another year as I wont hurry. Im going to attach lines blocks at shrouds meanwhile...

i started with fish tackle, with its huuge 15"  blocks , usually triple double or diuble double...and so on. all jibs haliards, that run thru blocks one end fastened at standing other running thru lead block and via first two hles at top down to furst fife rail pin..retc...

forsake of weight of sails, haliards run thru blocks should be shacked together with downhauls that run aling bowsprit to forecastle. here is again rule starboard port  etc...

i would be thnakful for any remark or obsetvation comment if something goes wrong. well. here we go. oh and blocks. i finally got these pear blocks that are fabulous to work with i must say. ni more fidling for hours. im surprised how long rigging takes. even fish tackle toik me 2  hours and thats one rope literally. but getting drift...

thanks anyone for viewing and happy Easter to everyone  ahead ..

IMG_20230330_160034.jpg

IMG_20230330_161336.jpg

IMG_20230330_160349.jpg

IMG_20230330_192103.jpg

IMG_20230330_202426.jpg

IMG_20230330_202438.jpg

IMG_20230330_212315.jpg

IMG_20230330_212225.jpg

IMG_20230330_212244.jpg

IMG_20230331_103748.jpg

IMG_20230331_103929.jpg

IMG_20230331_115136.jpg

IMG_20230331_120659.jpg

IMG_20230331_115145.jpg

IMG_20230331_124244.jpg

IMG_20230331_124221.jpg

IMG_20230331_124338.jpg

IMG_20230331_124350.jpg

add

• 1 month later...

Running rigging of fore lower yard.

all Yards lifts were already installed so i will not mention them . 

After 2 months there has been some work recently. I needed to study properly setup without sails

underhill with models , also Ed Tostis  young america is helping a lot. 

these had to be secured at shrouds first. sieways it will be painted black. 

IMG_20230517_102741.thumb.jpg.3d0aa25ae6c37d02d11a3a2229080876.jpg

IMG_20230517_124332.thumb.jpg.cf8a9f9f8678b479e3165239d70e0027.jpgIMG_20230517_125431.thumb.jpg.095d460c60a257730351edd23aa91623.jpg

2. lets move on,shall we? :)

first thing first, reef tackle. single blocks, its end is usually shacked at yard stay in case sails are removed. another end passes thru one sheave of quarter block downway to the mast rail. 

IMG_20230517_145824.thumb.jpg.f745fbddbc5b29eb2548135faaa0d188.jpg

IMG_20230517_153536.thumb.jpg.45c0afa5756eb5b8f83ae770230275ac.jpg

...moving to sheets of lower topsail...chain passes thru special iron block, up and without sails, sheet joins clew blocks together ...than thru quarter block and down thru shrpuds holes to rails..

IMG_20230517_164059.thumb.jpg.fa0e088cac609af0e251937a637cbe66.jpg

IMG_20230517_163151.thumb.jpg.95b0ea17a48cde0ad2e7dbce57ec0f00.jpg

better seen here...

IMG_20230517_221516.thumb.jpg.113b2562eae81f0ada9744b8978b3f33.jpg

IMG_20230517_221438.thumb.jpg.9184682eaae1f9a7b1bd035a977c4b8b.jpg

and via shroud block no2 into 3rd hole of side pinrail...

IMG_20230517_221405.thumb.jpg.61789f8177f45691caf1f48b5ec09284.jpg

moving into lower course sheets, and tackle. these are shackled together , without clew block added to them  when no saiils ...sheet is thickest lanyard of two and is usually fastened at cathead. tackle goes to first hole of fore pinrail ... again one end is made via eye at bottom of yard another goes thru quarter block and down to mast rail.  IMG_20230518_130350.thumb.jpg.817a408c4071d1ba93601d2817ec3bb0.jpg

IMG_20230518_131127.thumb.jpg.f9f0a7d143222e7cd11df2607f1557f6.jpgIMG_20230518_132759.thumb.jpg.f4c5273ab456a4d8af73ffa1f966c2d3.jpgIMG_20230518_133401.thumb.jpg.eec7e3f47c36631c2dd1aa3d7163829f.jpgIMG_20230518_135329.thumb.jpg.13f0f65844a12018378fafcaf176734b.jpg

as you can see leechline and buntline blocks are attacjed at yard and will be at yards as well as under tops and at shrouds( still missing) but i will not rig them by lanyard. 

IMG_20230518_141128.thumb.jpg.f7cfadef14a4c962979730f4a5d0611d.jpgIMG_20230518_141141.thumb.jpg.dfc3c3be5d1df0ac1329a592caeb8c0f.jpg

moving on to rig lower topsail yard. 

already mentioned and showed clew together with sheet block goinf up from lower yard.

need to be mentioned thwt there is no reef tackle as no reefing with this topsail. 

sheet again by chain being hooked via tripple blocks at top. I used double blocks but intend to change it once my supply chain arrives :)) chain goes thru iron blocks under yard towards ends...and it doesnt meet clew in this case but it is tempoearily shacked at yard stay...

IMG_20230518_120332.thumb.jpg.886574e93f4d80f6027a7f7144b0814e.jpg

IMG_20230518_121007.thumb.jpg.96896bacc2270643dc5cce4d004480f8.jpg

IMG_20230518_104715.thumb.jpg.034234c68ad4286ec9bb3a68f02581c1.jpgIMG_20230518_111225.thumb.jpg.5e503c28a5f674cc23a9dd9ce79c3a37.jpg

seen here

you cam also see downhaul already im place...there are not yet completed so i will come back to th later. 

IMG_20230518_185517.thumb.jpg.5cdde3f86c9f823b87949db635566d1f.jpg

lower topsail sheet continues up and joins again with topgalant clew block...but these are nof yet secured so i will return to them. 

this "little " work took e at least 3 days so...

piece by piece. 

thanks for watching, comments etc....

IMG_20230518_195116.thumb.jpg.dcc0695cc30b07e630725987768ac3f4.jpg

Your rigging is looking really good Vlad; nice work.

cheers

Pat

Oh man Vlad...she is looking good.  tying in those sheet to the clews can be diplomatic.  You're eliminating the bunt lines all together correct?

I see the stunnsail iron work, are you going to add the booms and their rigging.....or eliminate them too?

This girl can get busy real quick...can't she?

One thing your larger scale does provide and that is, larger rope and block details/connections.

I've noticed this a while back...but I like the little trick you use to secure the running lines to their belay pins on the rail.

You thread the line through the pin hole, then insert the pin.  Securing snugly without making it permanent.  Then when all is well glue it and make a rope coil for it.  Smart idea....when you have the room to thread.

Well...she's looking very fine Vlad...very fine.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

On 5/23/2023 at 6:35 PM, rwiederrich said:

Oh man Vlad...she is looking good.  tying in those sheet to the clews can be diplomatic.  You're eliminating the bunt lines all together correct?

I see the stunnsail iron work, are you going to add the booms and their rigging.....or eliminate them too?

This girl can get busy real quick...can't she?

One thing your larger scale does provide and that is, larger rope and block details/connections.

I've noticed this a while back...but I like the little trick you use to secure the running lines to their belay pins on the rail.

You thread the line through the pin hole, then insert the pin.  Securing snugly without making it permanent.  Then when all is well glue it and make a rope coil for it.  Smart idea....when you have the room to thread.

Well...she's looking very fine Vlad...very fine.

Rob

Thanks for comment Rob. 

yeah it gets crowded rapidly :))  I tie trheads at pinrail tge way you described. I intend to add stunsail booms rigged. Though I would need to add one to the chainplates as well ...exactly, buntlines leechlines are  out, rest is there. it goes very slowly to my usual habit, but after first mast is done it will be more less repeated story. 

V. 

It may be slow (but not as slow as my build :( ) but it is worth waiting for Vlad.  Looks great!

cheers

Pat