HMS Victory by Bill97 - FINISHED - Heller - 1/100 - PLASTIC

This is looking great. I'm not far behind with mine I hope ;)

Considering this is 1/100 scale I'm well impressed with the level of details. Well done sir 👍

Regards

Tom

Current Builds:

HMS Victory by DeAgostini 1/84

HMS Victory Build

We don't stop playing because we grow old... we grow old because we stop playing...

Interesting Ian. I am wondering about that.  My curiosity is how the crew would reach the opening in the mast top in order to get up there. If ratlines were only in the futtock shrouds above the stave, the crew would have to climb above the stave on a backward diagonal angle and then somehow get over the topmast shroud deadeyes. 

Thank you for your kind words Tom. Hope all is going well in Manchester. Your build is absolutely incredible!  I have your log saved on my computer for quick reference similar to Ian’s, Daniel’s, and Kevin’s. The detail in your work’ especially your rigging lines is a thing of beauty. I will just look at our photos and marvel at the quality of your rigging work.  I have to be honest when I say I look at something I have done on my model and feel pretty pleased. Then I make the mistake of looking at one like your’s and just shake my head at how much better your’s is! Maybe it is the scale. Maybe it is the DeAgostini kit even though this Heller kit is well regarded. I am not sure. But I keep coming back to the simple answer.  The difference in mine and your’s is the craftsman building it. Very well done my friend,

14 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Interesting Ian. I am wondering about that.  My curiosity is how the crew would reach the opening in the mast top in order to get up there. If ratlines were only in the futtock shrouds above the stave, the crew would have to climb above the stave on a backward diagonal angle and then somehow get over the topmast shroud deadeyes. 

Yes, that's exactly what they did. Don't forget that at sea the ship would be heeled one way or the other; the crew always went up on the windward side where the futtock angle would be nearer vertical. Also a strong wind would press you into the shrouds, not off the ship!

I surmise that as they near the top the shrouds become like a close-packed set of tree branches. It would be impossible to stick your feet between them anyway. Also it would be very slow for the men to funnel through the lubber's hole one at a time and then have to step to the rim of the top before continuing to climb. As a side note I have often wondered about the many times Dr. Maturin entered a top through the lubber's hole, in Patrick O'Brien books......without ratlines?

Here is an extract from "Tall Ships - How to Climb the Rigging"

Up & Over the Futtock Shrouds

The first hurdle for most people is the infamous ‘futtock shrouds’ just below the first platform. All the tall ships we work with have a safety wire here for you to clip to, so if you do slip you won’t go far. This does need a bit of arm strength and commitment as the futtock shrouds lean backwards for about 4-6ft to access the platform. The best tip we can give you is (i) do it with a friend or crew member for support the first time as they can give you an idea where your feet are….especially on the way down. (ii) on the way up (and down) hang back with straight arms as it is less tiring on your arms and your body doesn’t get in the way as your feet and knees move up. Also you are more likely to be able to see where you are placing you feet if you lean your body out. 

climbing up the over hanging futtock shrouds

Edited by Ian_Grant

Re’ Dr Maturin, very few as I remember! But I’ll make a note to count when I next re-read 😀. Climbing overhangs on a rock face firmly planted in the ground was bad enough, nothing but nothing would persuade me to do this on a ship swinging in the wind.

Today I tightened the main mast lower shrouds and got the futtock stave and futtock shrouds on the main mast. I used a brass rod for the stave which matches Daniel’s deadeye irons and little  hooks. Since the little hooks are so fragile and delicate I added a touch of CA glue where the hook goes in the loop. Still need to attach the lower end of the shrouds to the stave and do the   catherpins. 

4A59571D-C241-4ACE-8032-96246796172D.jpeg

8AED5994-9D98-47A6-A307-1DFC2993A05E.jpeg

FBC257A8-36CC-4AD6-A919-E00AE941F162.jpeg

Bill, it's pretty fiddly to add the futtocks and catharpins without distorting the run of the shrouds.  Take it slowly and don't commit the knots until you are satisfied.

I remember that there is a recommended order to do them in ie futtocks then catharpins, or vice versa. I did the catharpins first for what it's worth.

1 hour ago, Kevin-the-lubber said:

Re’ Dr Maturin, very few as I remember! But I’ll make a note to count when I next re-read 😀. Climbing overhangs on a rock face firmly planted in the ground was bad enough, nothing but nothing would persuade me to do this on a ship swinging in the wind.

Kevin I thought you were doing the Cutty Sark climb this summer!  Better steel yourself for her futtock shrouds 😏

Speaking of Dr. Maturin;  Bill have you read any of the classic seafaring series? With your rigging knowledge now, much of what is said will have more meaning for you than for the novice reader. Opinions below are mine only.

Hornblower series by CS Forrester:    the classic and still my favourite.

Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick Obrien:   paints a vivid picture of the 18th century world and people, but a little slow at times.

Ramage series by Dudley Pope:  Very good.

Delancey short series by C Northcote Parkinson:  I like the writing style but some don't.  Wish there were more.

Boiltho series by Alexander Kent:  read them as a teenager but got tired of them.

Alan Lewrie series by Dewey Lambdin:  just came across these a few years ago. Lots of action aboard ship and in bedroom. Likeable protagonist.

If you try out all of these, you are in for about 80 books (!). Will keep you busy for a while.

Edited by Ian_Grant

Ian was in fact just thinking about the process of tying the futtock sand catherpins. I am thinking I will put them all in with lose knots and then carefully start tying them

No I have not read any of those books. I will have to check my library. Which would you recommend first?

By the way Bill, you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. As I'm sure you're going to find when you have it finished and on display, you are going to hear a lot of 'wows'. You've made some very good individual taste choices that, in my view, make this a unique and very appealing build. And one more 'by the way': you do realise, don't you, that a little ways down the line we're all going to be asking you the same questions you've been asking Ian, so don't plan any long vacations!

Ian - I hadn't thought about that (the CS climb). I'm sure they'll have a hoist...

Personally I enjoyed Aubrey/Maturin the most. It's rare that I hang on to books once read but for me, that set are keepers. You're right though, they'll make more sense in places with ship modelling knowledge.

5 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Ian was in fact just thinking about the process of tying the futtock sand catherpins. I am thinking I will put them all in with lose knots and then carefully start tying them

No I have not read any of those books. I will have to check my library. Which would you recommend first?

"Mr. Midshipman Hornblower", the first of the series, is a very very good book. Each chapter is a story unto itself, showing Hornblower progressing towards being an outstanding sea officer.  Lots of action. And futtock shrouds 😃.

That's great, Bill!  I like the Atropos book a lot. There are a couple of books, "Lieutenant Hornblower" and "Hornblower and the Hotspur"  (as well as the unfinished "Hornblower and the Crisis" which has a promising start but Mr. Forrester died unfortunately) between these two if you want to read the series sequentially, but they can be read individually.

Edited by Ian_Grant

Yeah, well, that series started off looking great (intro episode, and the episode aboard the Renown) but soon veered off in new plots that IMO are far weaker than the books. And sometimes ridiculous (landing in France episode).

The classic movie with Gregory Peck as Hornblower is far better.

Edited by Ian_Grant

Geez Bill that's just my opinion. Try them out, some are ok.

Peck's Hornblower movie is very enjoyable and covers three of the Forrester books in brief. Sort of. I own a copy.

Are you aware of Alec Guinness in "Damn the Defiant"?  Another great classic movie. I own a copy.

I assume you have seen the recent "Master and Commander" with Russell Crowe? A great movie based on one of O'Brien's books. Again, I own a copy. Keep your eyes peeled for the guy sitting at the head as the ship comes at you out of the screen during a storm!

Ok guys I know I will need to do this rigging step because I see it on every build I have researched. However I do not know what it is called, when to do it, or where to find reference to how to do it. I have looked through Longridge’s book and can not find it.  No doubt Ian you will reply back that it is clearly on page ### in the book and I will kick myself again. What is the big X shaped bundle of rope at the mast top as seen in Tom’s picture below.

C4966505-28CC-4561-BFE8-1C39DE803B72.png

Wonderful work!

XXXDAn

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Hello Bill. As you predicted here is the answer.

Those are the two separate jeer block lashings which pass through the cleats on the mast. The rope you see seized around the bottom of the lashing is the jeer block strop, from the upper jeer block. See pg 241 and Plan 8.  🙂

On 3/31/2022 at 8:26 AM, Bill97 said:

I also requested this 6 DVD set from the library. When I get it I will see if it movies made from the books. 

C33FBB5D-B347-4B15-A30D-721AF3C39039.jpeg

When you get them… watch one and tell us if the picture quality is what you would expect. On you tube it’s a mix of poor to “ok”. ROKU has the whole series on right now and the quality is no better than YouTube. 😕

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

This is beautiful work!  I've spent many hours studying this thread and I thank you for all the detail you show. I've just got back into modeling after 30+years and have started this model.  I'm waiting on Dafi's photo etch to arrive and have assembled the cannons and today painted and weathered the deck.  

I've got a question I would like your opinion on.  I was planning on ordering wood blocks to rig with until I watched RJ Scaleships video on YouTube on how to modify them.  I had a friend give me a few wood blocks to try and the quality doesn't seem to be as nice as the Heller blocks, at least once modified. In your opinion would you still recommend wood?