Micro Mark Bending Machine 81356

I am considering purchasing this bending machine to use for bending brass tubes and also for wooden plank bending. Does anyone have experience of this please, good or negative, appreciated. I do use the Amati Electric Plank bender also with fair success.

Non of the main Hobby Tool Suppliers in Australia appear to offer this so I shall need to buy direct which just takes longer.

Michael Pearce in tropical North Queensland

I use the ones shown below from MicroMark here in the USA.

216AE3A5-30A3-414B-860B-8B226B4E503A.jpeg.b5eb0303c2146f9f1e3923afaba09fc9.jpeg

Edited by Dsmith20639
Typo

Current build: Armed Virginia Sloop

Previous Builds: , Amati Fifie, Glad Tidings,Bluenose II, Chesapeake Bay Skipjack, Fair American, Danmark, Constitution Cross Section, Bluenose 

Moved to the proper sub-forum.. Tools.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I have no experience owning or using this tool but my professional career involved fabrication of industrial piping systems and that included bending.

When a hollow tube is bent, it becomes oval in the Bend arc.  This ovality increases as the bend becomes more “difficult” Od/t/R.

OD= Outside Diameter of tube

t= Wall thickness of tube

R= bend diameter expressed as No of pipe diameters

Pipe bends made without ID mandrels or other special techniques are usually limited to 5XOD or larger radius, and American piping codes allow ovality up to 8% of OD.

So, If the flexible tube- the bending die, fits snugly over the tube to be bent ovality during bending will jam the bent tube in the bending die preventing extraction.  If on the other hand there is initially a gap between the tube and the bending die the die is not preventing the tube from going oval.  I don’t see how those tubes provide any advantage over bending the tube around a homemade die, a curved piece of wood or other round object.

Roger

This is called a slip roller or rolling mill.  The MicroMark item looks pretty cheaply made from aluminum.  For a few dollars more you can buy one on amazon that will be much stronger and produce better results.  Some of them have rollers that can be changed for use with different size tubes.  One thing to think about is that the rollers will flatten wood strips to some extent.

one example https://www.amazon.com/Rolling-Machine-Combination-Jewelry-Tabletting/dp/B07G7ZCCSZ/ref=pd_di_sccai_6/143-4564824-7564258?pd_rd_w=ORekI&pf_rd_p=c9443270-b914-4430-a90b-72e3e7e784e0&pf_rd_r=DVFFA5K61C6HG1PNPCA5&pd_rd_r=1679c72e-430e-4e18-8f4c-0b448bac5f51&pd_rd_wg=t3d30&pd_rd_i=B07G7ZCCSZ&psc=1

61skYpdvY3L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Edited by grsjax

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Check out 81356 on micro ark. It won’t bend tubing but I’ve used it to bend planks very successfully...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways