Seven-Ten-Seven (7-10-7) template for making masts from square stock

Chuck

I know I have uploaded this in the past.  But I have recently had several requests for this template and folks couldnt find it.  So here it is again in its own easier to search topic.

seventenseven.pdf

Chuck, is there a post somewhere about how the template is used?

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Probably in my Cheerful monograph.  Check out the many Cheerful logs.  Stuntflyer (Mike) has some excellent tutorials in his Cheerful log if I remember correctly.  But its pretty simple.  You just find where the template spans across your square stock.  Then mark the square stock periodically down its length on all four sides.   Draw lines connecting the two lines on on each side so you have two lines down the length of the stick separating it into a ratio of 7-10-7 .   Then sand or shave the corners to make an equal octagon.   Turn the octagon or sand it round.   Now you have a round dowel made from square stock.  Taper to suit.

Some folks will taper the square stock before they mark it off to the 7-10-7 ratio....others taper the round dowel afterwards.   Leave any square sections for masts alone....or octagon areas for spars.   Only round of what is round.  Drill any holes or simulate any sheaves before rounding off.  Its easier to do while square.

Chuck