Is it possible to get wooden deadeyes vs the plastic ones?

This is really not an issue of plastic or wood, it is mainly because the deadeyes and other hardware are plastic with the easy connection molding. Basically, instead doing all of the rigging work, the plastic pieces have a loop at the top, to save time (I guess).

I would rather do all the rigging... so what if it takes an extra 500-1000 hours lol.

What would be the best way to switch these out with a more advanced set of pieces? Do you know anyone that can sell me a set of these? I have like 100 or more pieces of these.

Also, I know what the deadeye is, but what is the other piece of rigging called?

IMG_1609.HEIC

The other two bits are blocks, single and double according to the number of sheaves. Wooden blocks and deadeyes are available from a number of sources. Let us know where you're located so we can save you some postage by finding a source near you.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

The amount of enjoyment you may or may not miss out on depends solely on the builder. Some are happy using whatever materials come in the box, others go all-out to super-detail their models, and many fall somewhere in between those two extremes. Anyways, as to replacement blocks, there are several suppliers in the US. Model Expo is the place if you want to get the usual kit-grade blocks. If you want to up your game, you can try boxwood blocks from Syren Ship Model Company. There are more options from overseas suppliers, but check out these two first.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Wow! I can totally see myself going all out on a model eventually. I would like to get a few under my belt first. Those sites are perfect!

This image below is the box for the model I have. I found it at a very small hobby shop and paid $100 bucks for it (at that price, it is okay to drop a bit more on upgraded hardware).  I think the kit was given to them and they could not guarantee all the parts were there, so they gave me a decently low price. I am pretty sure everything is there. I believe this is the same kit. https://www.billingboatsusa.com/expert/952-jylland-steam-frigate.html

This seems like an expert level kit, so I have a couple smaller cheap ships I am going to practice planking and rigging with. I will let you know what I do with the hardware for this one.

60EA5752-8F35-43F9-B9F1-6442EAA3D1AA.thumb.JPG.4a6053a17f5f5ed1c905fdf83262e2e0.JPG

I'd suggest that any build you do, open a log for it.  It's a great way to get help and meet others.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

2 hours ago, AcousticBruce said:

Wow! I can totally see myself going all out on a model eventually. I would like to get a few under my belt first. Those sites are perfect!

This image below is the box for the model I have. I found it at a very small hobby shop and paid $100 bucks for it (at that price, it is okay to drop a bit more on upgraded hardware).  I think the kit was given to them and they could not guarantee all the parts were there, so they gave me a decently low price. I am pretty sure everything is there. I believe this is the same kit. https://www.billingboatsusa.com/expert/952-jylland-steam-frigate.html

This seems like an expert level kit, so I have a couple smaller cheap ships I am going to practice planking and rigging with. I will let you know what I do with the hardware for this one.

I'd Definitely go for wooden blocks and deadeyes on this, while rigging them would take longer than the plastic ones, painting plastic so it looks like wood on those small parts would be even more pain.

Measure the blocks exactly (without the plastic attachment eyes) and go for Syren

If you want to practice planking, get an Amati or Vanguard small ship

Edited by Jasseji

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64

On 8/11/2021 at 9:33 PM, AcousticBruce said:

Hi ccoyle. I live in Indianpolis, In.

so I am not crazy to do this? I am new to ship building, but it seems to me that their is some enjoyment I might be missing out on if I use the plastic easy assembly pieces.

Go with the great items of boxwood deadeyes for ship models - scale scale boxwood deadeyes, Fiddle blocks, boxwood scale hearts (syrenshipmodelcompany.com)

Billing Boats has never created any resin blocks or other items to my knowledge.

According to BB (Billing Boats) this is an expert model.

Unless you have other builds "under your belt" this is a not a starter kit ..... even with the low price tag!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

On 8/13/2021 at 1:52 AM, Nirvana said:

According to BB (Billing Boats) this is an expert model.

Unless you have other builds "under your belt" this is a not a starter kit ..... even with the low price tag!

This is true. I purchased a few more kits that require planking and I also have a midwest projects Chesapeake Bay Skipjack (I already started a while back). So I will finish these first. But, I think it will be okay to do an expert kit if I log it and have lots of patience. 

Please open up the link below and subsequently go into the link in my entry there, to read my thoughts on plastic deadeyes and blocks from Billings.

For the reason I mentioned, I would replace all plastic fittings into wooden ones and bend them properly (wrap the running ends of shrouds AROUND each deadeye), because the little eyelet on each deadeye will break away in time, under the tension from the rope. Plastic is brittle!