WW1 Torpedo boat destroyers decks

I am building a 36” model of the “C” class HMS Violet (1898-1920) and trying to find out if the main deck was planked or covered with Corticene or just steel. If it was just steel, what colour did they paint it? As a boy in the 1940s and early 1950s I used to play on her rusted hulk where she was beached on the river Forth in Fife. By then the decks were just steel with no traces of any covering or paint. If anyone can help my research I would be very grateful

Hello and a warm welcome to the forum from 'Down Under'.

Perhaps you might like to put a post in 'New Member Introductions' to introduce yourself to us.

You might also consider a building log of your model so that we can enjoy it along with you.

If you simply Google HMS Violet you'll find quite a lot of good images of her.  Those images clearly show that here main deck wasn't planked.

John 

Welcome to MSW, I hope you're able to find answers to your questions regarding the decking. 

Not sure, whether this was also correct for the RN, but in other navies at the beginning of the War, they ripped off deck-planking and Linoleum, particularly also on interior decks, in order to reduce fire hazards. This certainly did not improve the living conditions, but in war-time there are other priorities.

Steel decks were typically painted in oil paint mixed with sand in order to improve the foothold during wet wheather. Or they used some wild concoctions containing cement, marine-glue etc. with coarse sand.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

On 9/6/2021 at 10:55 AM, wefalck said:

Not sure, whether this was also correct for the RN, but in other navies at the beginning of the War, they ripped off deck-planking and Linoleum, particularly also on interior decks, in order to reduce fire hazards. This certainly did not improve the living conditions, but in war-time there are other priorities.

Steel decks were typically painted in oil paint mixed with sand in order to improve the foothold during wet wheather. Or they used some wild concoctions containing cement, marine-glue etc. with coarse sand.

This is really useful - there are almost no photographs of these ships showing the decks. The one I did find  shows a section of the deck by the stern and is not really clear enough for me to be sure. If the deck was painted do you know what the colour might have been?

this is the link.   https://images.app.goo.gl/GKMi83CfhygrXeTQ7

thanks 

On 9/4/2021 at 11:06 PM, Jim Lad said:

Hello and a warm welcome to the forum from 'Down Under'.

Perhaps you might like to put a post in 'New Member Introductions' to introduce yourself to us.

You might also consider a building log of your model so that we can enjoy it along with you.

If you simply Google HMS Violet you'll find quite a lot of good images of her.  Those images clearly show that here main deck wasn't planked.

John 

Thanks John but Googling HMS Violet was the first thing I did but got nowhere. There are a lot of TBD models - including the original builders (Doxford) model but i do not think they are necessarily accurate. Most show oak planking or Cortiscene but The metal deck of the hulk in the 1940/50s had nothing that I remember, but my friends and I were not interested in that sort of detail!!! So the search goes on.

George

I don't know for the RN boats, but he German ones were originally painted black and later in the War in dark grey. I would assume that the decks assume after a short while a dark grey colour, similar to older tarmac, due to weather and wear.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Don't know if it is considered a "source" but here was someone's interpretation.

HMS_Violet_Scale_Model.jpg

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Hello George, welcome to MSW. Perhaps you already know this but the Tyne and Wear Archives ...

https://twarchives.org.uk/

... hold a collection of photographs of torpedo boats etc and may be able to help. Even if Violet s not among the photos you may see her contemporaries. Ignore their website search function, it doesn't seem to look at the photo collections so I am afraid you will need to contact them for access terms.

Also, in case you do not already have this, Violet was involved in a collision with the drifter 'Angelina' 22 September 1918. The records of this accident are held at the United Kingdom Hydrographic Office (UKHO) Archive ...

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-ukho-archive

... under the file reference HD/1918/3710. Again, do not rely on the site search facility, I suggest contacting them and qouting the file number to see if it contains photographs or reports of potential use.

HTH,

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

15 hours ago, lmagna said:

Don't know if it is considered a "source" but here was someone's interpretation.

HMS_Violet_Scale_Model.jpg

3 hours ago, bruce d said:

Hello George, welcome to MSW. Perhaps you already know this but the Tyne and Wear Archives ...

https://twarchives.org.uk/

... hold a collection of photographs of torpedo boats etc and may be able to help. Even if Violet s not among the photos you may see her contemporaries. Ignore their website search function, it doesn't seem to look at the photo collections so I am afraid you will need to contact them for access terms.

Also, in case you do not already have this, Violet was involved in a collision with the drifter 'Angelina' 22 September 1918. The records of this accident are held at the United Kingdom Hydrographic Office (UKHO) Archive ...

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-ukho-archive

... under the file reference HD/1918/3710. Again, do not rely on the site search facility, I suggest contacting them and qouting the file number to see if it contains photographs or reports of potential use.

HTH,

Bruce

Bruce

I have seen this and it is definitely a builders’ model, specially for sales and marketing purposes! I have tried contacting the current  builders but no joy.  

2 hours ago, WW1 TBD Decking said:

Bruce

I have seen this and it is definitely a builders’ model, specially for sales and marketing purposes! I have tried contacting the current  builders but no joy.  

Hello George,

Bit of confusion here, it was Lou who posted the builders model picture.  My post was about potential archival sources.  😉

Regards,

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold