Bluenose II by WhiteWolf - Artesania Latina - 1:75 Scale

8 hours ago, WhiteWolf said:

Finished the other side, covered the stern, and the keel is glued, clamped, and drying. Small gap I'll have to fill from the extra stock because the laser cut pieces wasn't quite long enough since I had to alter a bit at the bow from the modifications I had to make, but I decided to do that once the rest has dried so I can fit it exactly. But it's going well so far! I hope. :P

Purchased some finish and paint as well. 

should this be a gloss finish? I went with more of a matte paint so I can put a clear coat on as needed. 

PXL_20220221_212638905.jpg

PXL_20220221_212648858.jpg

PXL_20220222_012641463.jpg

Nice progress Chap!!

Matt or gloss, your choice....

I lean to Semi-Gloss or Satin myself. (Try on some scrap first perhaps?)

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

• 4 weeks later...

Big update! Been working on these things for a couple weeks, but waited for photos until I had some good progress. Keel is on, first of all. 

Next, I finished the deck with a matte clear, and really like how it turned out. It could have been a bit darker if I look at the real ship, but personally I really like how it turned out, here. Then I added the stanchions, painted the bulwarks and waterways, and added the covers at bow and stern, adjusting as needed so they fit the slightly different shape. Those will get painted with the rails. 

As I noted earlier, it's a mix of AL's plans, and John Earl's notes. Here, I followed John's guide for the stanchions, as I liked the density better from his plans. I'll drill the scuppers as he suggests as well. I did follow the AL plans for the covers, as mine was not modified in the ways John did due to following where my grandfather left off. In the end, I'm super happy with the progress!

PXL_20220320_233916156.jpg

PXL_20220320_233321944.jpg

PXL_20220320_233331039.jpg

PXL_20220320_233338628.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Rudder is on, and moves freely, which I am proud of. I looked at several model photos, and the plans, and got a result I was happy with.  Not sure it's 100% accurate, but I did the best I could. I slightly recessed the hinges into the side, knocked pins through to hold in place, and added some glue for good measure. Once it's dry, I'll do a bit of clean up on the brass, and add some silicone masking so I don't cover those in paint when I paint the hull.

Speaking of painting the hull, I think I will do that before I put the propeller units on, but I'm not sure how far to go with rails and such before painting. Any advice?

PXL_20220403_200027428.jpg

PXL_20220403_200100178.jpg

On 4/4/2022 at 8:12 AM, WhiteWolf said:

Rudder is on, and moves freely, which I am proud of. I looked at several model photos, and the plans, and got a result I was happy with.  Not sure it's 100% accurate, but I did the best I could. I slightly recessed the hinges into the side, knocked pins through to hold in place, and added some glue for good measure. Once it's dry, I'll do a bit of clean up on the brass, and add some silicone masking so I don't cover those in paint when I paint the hull.

Speaking of painting the hull, I think I will do that before I put the propeller units on, but I'm not sure how far to go with rails and such before painting. Any advice?

PXL_20220403_200027428.jpg

PXL_20220403_200100178.jpg

Looking really good!!

Regarding the painting, I don't really know at what stage you should paint it.

It's up to you really.

From memory, I painted mine after the Hull was pretty much complete.

Just ensure you mask things, Deck, Interior Bulwarks, Etc.

Others on this forum may have different advice....

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

4 hours ago, hof00 said:

Looking really good!!

Regarding the painting, I don't really know at what stage you should paint it.

It's up to you really.

From memory, I painted mine after the Hull was pretty much complete.

Just ensure you mask things, Deck, Interior Bulwarks, Etc.

Others on this forum may have different advice....

Cheers....HOF.

Thanks! I was kind of thinking of doing everything but the propeller, painting, then doing the props. Just so I don't have to brush around those. So that sounds on track with what you did. I'm going to do some extra painting on the deck houses, and do some white. I found some photos of the ship after restoration, and the white deck houses look really nice. Likely going that route. 

• 3 months later...

I'm alive, and so is the project! Sorry it's been a while. Work was really busy, and some rearranging of the house meant my model making area was in flux. But I'm all setup in my new space now, and back at it! Not a ton to report today, top rails and some minor additions. But here is where it stands after today's work. More to come very soon!

PXL_20220709_023854699.PORTRAIT.jpg

Hi Chap,

Some very nice progress there!!

Cheers.... HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Started drilling the scuppers out before I added anything else that I don't want to break in this process. It's harder than expected, but I'm just going slow and doing my best. Not bad for a first try at this, I think! I decided to compromise between the AL plans and John Earl's articles, and do every other stanchion, and not try to do every single "real" spot. I wanted it to look convincing and real, but didn't want to risk my inexperience break the area between scuppers. A thicker distance between was safer, to me. I think it will look good when it's done! They may be a bit too tall, but I'm okay with that, as I didn't want to push my limits and damage the model by trying to go so thin and precise. More wiggle room. Still have 3/4 of the ship to go, but I have to stop for today so I can go to my martial arts class. 

PXL_20220712_005216607.jpg

Got the rest of the main drilling done. Scuppers, anchor holes, chains, drains, masts, etc. The masts are not quite perfect, but some detailed filing and making sure I glue them in with proper clamping/tied down in place, and it should be darn close! Close enough for me on the first try with this, anyway! Just have to do the props and the hand rails, and paint! Then the hull structure will be done. Closer and closer. Fun to see the masts mocked up. That feels like a big moment!

PXL_20220714_200605470.jpg

PXL_20220714_200539883.jpg

PXL_20220714_200529860.jpg

PXL_20220714_195938526.jpg

2 hours ago, WhiteWolf said:

Got the rest of the main drilling done. Scuppers, anchor holes, chains, drains, masts, etc. The masts are not quite perfect, but some detailed filing and making sure I glue them in with proper clamping/tied down in place, and it should be darn close! Close enough for me on the first try with this, anyway! Just have to do the props and the hand rails, and paint! Then the hull structure will be done. Closer and closer. Fun to see the masts mocked up. That feels like a big moment!

PXL_20220714_200605470.jpg

PXL_20220714_200539883.jpg

PXL_20220714_200529860.jpg

PXL_20220714_195938526.jpg

Hi Chap,

That's looking really good!!

Some excellent progress there.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Started getting the hull painted before I do the final details on it, but I noticed when looking at the real ship, that the strips I left unpainted don't exist on the real ship... Guess I missed that when going through my resources. Oh well! I think I'll just paint them blue to blend in, and call it a day. I'm also going to paint the lower tier of the stern bulwark rails blue, as that's how it is on the real one. Then I'll do the red, and then figure out how to do the water line and the rest of the white. May find a thin yellow vinyl strip, too... We will see. But so far so good! I based my waterline on the plans and the photos of the ship itself. It's close enough for me. 

PXL_20220721_012541242.jpg

Follow up. Painted red up to close to the crisp blue line I'll use to mask and guide for the white stripe. I went ahead and did blue on those parts like the real ship, and I like it. Once the waterline is painted, I'll put the propellers on, then the handrail posts, paint the rest of the white, and do the brass wire handrails. Then I'll be all set to move on to the buildings. 

PXL_20220721_061410529.jpg

2 hours ago, WhiteWolf said:

I think it's crisp and looks great.

Couldn't agree more.

Ken

Ken

Current Build

HM Alert - 1777 - Vanguard

Next Build

Fair American - Model Shipways

Completed Builds

18TH Century Merchantman Half Hull Planking Kit - NRG

San Juan Felucca - OcCre

Hi Chap,

That looks very clean and tidy!!

(Don't "Hurry Up" though....  Take your time.... 🙂)

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Neatly done water line!   Not so easy even when using tape and sealing with a clear to prevent bleed through before adding the white.

For those with less steady hands an alternative is to consider using auto pinstriping rather than painting.  I did one model on which the pinstriping has stayed on without any lifting for 14 years (so far) including shipping from the US to Europe and then spending the last 13 years at sea.  Once the paint and tape were done, the final finish for the hull was five coats of clear spray.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Next update! 

Varnish and paint is done, and so is the railing. I noticed that other builds and John Earl left those off, but I decided to include them as my grandfather wouldn't have had those resources when he started it, and wanted to stay true to that. Though I did do a bit of a change on the skylights, marching the bars to John's plans and adding the extra planking he did because I like the look. I have to decide if I will paint it white like the references I have of the real boat, or leave them natural wood. To be determined. Anyway, here is the progress I have made since last check in. I was racing cars this weekend, so I didn't do any work then. 

PXL_20220728_052141729.jpg

PXL_20220728_052200311.jpg

PXL_20220728_052309067.jpg

PXL_20220728_195046777.jpg

This all looks really nice. I did the later version of this AL kit and I didn’t manage to get the glossy lacquered effect to my upper hull that I was seeking, but you’ve managed it. 
I appreciate I’m late to the party but I’ll follow this build along if that’s OK?

Edited by Penfold

11 hours ago, Penfold said:

This all looks really nice. I did the later version of this AL kit and I didn’t manage to get the glossy lacquered effect to my upper hull that I was seeking, but you’ve managed it. 
I appreciate I’m late to the party but I’ll follow this build along if that’s OK?

Absolutely!

And thank you for the kind comments! It's been a big challenge for me, but I'm just trying to take my time and work carefully. I will post a pic of what I used for the finish when I get a chance. Thanks again for the support! :)

Okay, here is a photo dump. None of the superstructure is glued down yet, just mocked up in those photos. I based my paint off the series of photos from the Bluenose II restoration, so I have white washed the walls. I did my best to leave wood what was wood, and I even put little trim pieces on a few parts that I saw trim on in the references. I'm super happy with the outcome, and it's currently in the process of being varnished and finished. Then things will start being attached. I debated leaving it all natural wood, but in the end, went with the white wash. Glad I did. :)

I wish I had done the deck a bit darker, but the finish is where I want it, so I'm not going to try to redo it. Next time! 

PXL_20220728_195046777.jpg

PXL_20220729_011905653.jpg

PXL_20220729_011908789.jpg

PXL_20220729_011912479.jpg

PXL_20220801_170543843.jpg

Glued down! (Yes, I do realize that I made a boo boo on the cabin. The door is supposed to be on the other side. And it was going so well... Noticed far too late to change it, so it gets the big "oh well!" And on we move. Ha!) Masts dowels are just on for reference to make sure I got things placed in correct proximity. 

PXL_20220802_171443412.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20220802_170931420.PORTRAIT.jpg

Very nice Chap!!

Don't worry too much about a door, no one is going to notice and I can't either.... 🙂

(Call it artistic license.)

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson