Definition of 'Single' WRT rigging/ropes

BANYAN

Hi folks, I am hoping someone may be able to offer an explanation, or point me to a reference, that would help me determine what is meant by 'single' when referencing some aspects of rigging.  I have tried my usual sources but there is no clear definition offered, although some authors describe some generalities but do not offer a specific rule.

Specifically, I am currently looking at 'lifts' but I am also interested in a wider definition.  The Rigging Warrant describes the lower lifts in HMCSS Victoria as 'single', but the amount of rope listed makes it difficult to determine how it was rigged. 

Option 1 - if rigged as a single line from the yard arm, through a block at the lower cap then let fall to the deck, the rope length is such that it would almost touch the deck.

Option 2 - if rigged with a single block at the yard arm and a double at the lower cap (luff), the end of the rope would be just below the cap block. - as shown by Underhill in his "Masting and Rigging the Clipper Ship and Ocean Carrier" - fig 16 (below).  This arrangement, if interpreted as a 'Single' lift  would then work as the associated lift tackle is the right length to work the lift.  However, in this case the Rigging Warrant does not list a single bloc for the yardarm.

433253319_UnderhillMRp17_AfterSailHandlingLines.jpg.082aaeda6559c9cf28acd7c26726dd08.jpg

So does single lift mean a single rope/line 'arrangement' - attached at a single point only (yardarm) rather than separate lifts each made up as tackles (i.e. two separate lifts [no matter what rigging config] each side per yard).  My understanding thus far would be a single rope arrangement.  Very confusing :(  If it is the first option as I simply do not see why so much rope was provided, whereas the second explains the length of rope but is shy two blocks.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Good Morning Pat;

I think that you will find that the single refers to the possibility that some large ships in the 19th century had inner and outer lifts, to cope with very long yards. 

All the best,

Mark 

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Hi John and Mark, appreciate the responses.

John, they are certainly long enough to do just that, BUT the Rigging Warrant lists 7" double blocks not single + 2 clip hooks, AND also a lift tackle with enough rope such that it would easily work between the deck and just under the lower cap block even rigged as a luff tackle.  This is the confusing part of it all.    ????

Mark, yep had worked that bit out (Underhill in particular is clear and careful in discussing this) -  the Rigging Warrant clearly states "Lifts, single" but it is the length of rope and odd block combo - this is what is confusing me.

If I ignore the length of the lift rope, the most practical (and likely) rigging configuration would be a single rope lift clip hooked to the upper lug of the yardarm spiderband, rove through a single block (probably the top rope block) shackled to the forward lug of the lower mast cap (lift removed when the top rope is required) and let fall towards the deck.   The Rigging Warrant has an established pattern of not including blocks with a line if another has already been provided/or can be repurposed).  The double block is then spliced into (or seized into a soft eye in) the tail of the lift such that it hangs about two feet below the cap block (with the yard horizontal).  The "Lift Tackle", which is listed with a 7" single block only, could then be made up as a luff tackle with the single block set-up as the standing block on deck.

However, for that arrangement to work, the lifts would have to be made up as a gun tackle other wise there is simply too long a length of rope listed - but no single block is listed AND does not meet the 'single' definition as I understand it?     THUS, the confusion :( 😧

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Is it possible that the line length is wrong in documentation?   A handwritten typo maybe?  Or maybe just placeholder that was to be corrected after it was built?  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark, a possibility as there have been other entry errors but more to do with the association of blocks on the wrong line etc, not so much with rope length :( 

cheers

Pat

Hi Pat

For clarity, we're talking about the lower yard, not the topsail yard, is that correct?  As a "fixed" yard, I would assume that the lifts for the most part are really only for keeping the yard level, so a powerful purchase perhaps isn't needed, and a single line as you describe might suffice. Whereas for the topsail yards, a purchase would surely be required?

My understanding of the term 'single' has been that no purchase, i.e. mechanical advantage was provided by the block(s) involved, only a change of direction. In this case only a block at the mast doubling would be provided.

I realise that this does not explain the extra length of the rope specification ...

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Hi Tony, thanks for your response and suggestion - yep - confirmed - we are talking about the lower yard lift.  Agree ,it would not be worked much and may not require a purchase, and had accepted that. 

The core of the question I am trying to get an answer about is what is defined by 'Single' - Is it a single rope/line OR can a tackle qualify as single also (i.e. only one tackle provided rather than two per side)

cheers

Pat

Hi Keith thanks for the photo; not sure what I am looking at, but if you mean the line abaft the mast with the short purchase - yep  that is about the only way I see it working with the listed items - but run into the same issue; the amount of line specified for the purchase is much to long.  Thanks again.

cheers

Pat

Thanks Eberhard, that was my interpretation also but continue to be confounded by the Rigging Warrant entries - in this instance the very specific inclusions against the fore lower yard:

@ line 1 "Lifts, single - 3.25ins hemp rope, 12.5 fathoms, associated with two 7" double blocks and two clip hooks."

@ line 2 "Lifts, Tackle - 2.25ins hemp rope, 34 fathoms, associated with two 7" single blocks."

The custom used through out is that the total number of blocks, hooks etc listed are used for both sides, BUT the lengths of rope are specific for an individual line (in this case each lift is 12.5 fathoms long etc).  The other custom used is that the line immediately following is associated with that line (usually the tackle for that line - but in this case very clearly identified as such).

If using the 'lift' alone (pure definition of single), the 75 foot length places its end about 15 feet above the deck - BUT, if then worked with a tackle, the tackle has sufficient length to be worked from a height of the lower yards - this suggests the tackle would be just some 15 feet with a very, very long working part?

The ONLY other thought I have is that perhaps the upper lead block was placed much higher than the lower Cap (perhaps at the topmast stop?) - but this would be very unusual.  In some ways this configuration makes a bit of sense as the working angle from the yardarm to the lower cap would be very shallow.  In Victoria, the upper mast was a combined pole (top, topgallant and royal masts all in one).  If I moved the lead block to such a point, the lengths make sense, but again no extra block is listed - perhaps again the top rope block could be reutilised (snatch block).  What do you think?

My first thoughts were that the tackles are used as purchases, but that leaves a very long length of the lift and a very short tackle (as shown in Keith's photo).  However, if the lift is made up as a tackle as shown by Underhill (earlier illustration) the lengths of rope provided fit very well, but the number of blocks provided is short by one single 7" single block per side.

All very confusing :(  Thanks again for your suggestion.

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If the lower yard for either the fore or mainmast had to be lowered for repair or replacement, wouldn't a great deal of purchase be required to lift the yard back up the mast into position? 

Hi Keith, the lower yards were hoisted and lowered using the mast pendants and mast tackles (heavy).  Once hoisted, they were transferred to their respective patent truss and supported with sling chains, then the tackles removed.  Once in place they were rarely lowered unless for repairs or mast replacement etc.

cheers

Pat