31 ton Revenue cutter sails and rigging

cutter.jpeg.88f9d5604399e0f1aae42e738f9b9e94.jpeg

I am starting to develop a model  of a 31 ton Revenue cutter using Chapelle's drawing from History of American Sailing Ships. I plan to build it at the size of the drawing. Hoping to find a bottle that size to put in into. I am not  rigging or sail person so I do not know how accurate the drawing is and am not clear from the drawing how the rigging attached to the ship. Suggestions. I found rigging for a larger cutter here but am not surest is the sMW. 

Edited by Bill Hudson

Fall down nine times, get up ten.

For an SIB, I think the rigging shown would be perfect.  With something that small, less is more.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Bill,

I strongly suggest that you avoid using the book illustration and order the plans from The Smithsonian.

The particulars for this specific vessel:

Page#               Plan#           Description                                        Cost

101                   HASS-18      US Revenue Cutter 1815  31 tons     10.00

The Processing                                                                                5.00

Processing  is for up to 12 sheets    I usually order  12 at one go   except that the last page is for 7 because I could not find another 5 that I wanted.

Smithsonian Ship Plans

P>O> Box 37012

NMAH/MRC

Washington, DC  20013

This vessel is a little boy.  Quicker and easier to build than some you might choose.

You have the spar dimensions.  Books and/or the NRJ  CD   will provide the diameter changes over distance from the mast.

The rigging would be standard for the time and the time is about as well documented as any.

There is even a post here that does a pretty good job of explaining schooner spars and rigging.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Thank  you Mark and Jager.

I would like order the plans for a future larger model but right now I am a 90 year old living on a very tight budget. 

This is just a whim project to fill in some time with no intent to make it absolutely accurate to scale.  At 1/16" = 1'0" would mean one inch approximately would be .005 if I am calculating correctly. At this scale tapers of masts and spars would be hard to get very accurate. I could get close but I'm not going to drag out my micrometers. I just want to have a little relaxing fun. 

Fall down nine times, get up ten.

Bill,

I have been puzzling over topsail schooner rigging for my revenue cutter model. I have posted a thread describing the basic sails and rigging here:

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25679-topsail-schooner-sail-plans-and-rigging/?do=findComment&comment=750865

Here is a link to my rigging and belaying plan for a similarly rigged ship as the 31 ton vessel:

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19611-albatros-by-dr-pr-mantua-scale-148-revenue-cutter-kitbash-about-1815/?do=findComment&comment=863237

The 31 ton vessel has a simpler rig (not as many shrouds) than the theoretical 100 ton vessel I am modeling. However, the rigging principals were the same on all two masted fore topsail schooners, so you should get some ideas from these links.