HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Steve20 - 1:48

To position the port and starboard sill battens I again used the bottom of keel to top of sill measurement for stem, stern, and bulkheads ‘C’ and ‘E’, and marked these on the model. I pinned the battens at these three points, then as Chuck suggests, used the run of the battens to position the rest.

Where a placement of a gunport port sill was more difficult, such as at the bows, I cut a slot to fix one end (I think it’s called a dado joint) and then I just need to concentrarte on positioning the other end only.

I thinned down some of the inside framing as I went along to make it easier for me later-on.

Edited by Steve20

Very nice work! I like how precision your placement is, it will show later. Or should I say, pay dividends later.

Edited by scrubbyj427

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

Same as for the bulkheads, my stern frames are not as good as the laser cut ones, so I drilled a 1/8” hole in the bottom of each ‘A’ frame and put a 1” long bolt with a couple of nuts on to fine tune the positioning and hold it.

I also made a jig to aid stern frame positioning. I used a piece of 3/64” Pear the width and height of the five stern windows and pasted the corresponding paper template inside of it. I glued the window spacers to this as needed and drilled 1/8” holes through each of them. I shaped the Pear and spacers to the curve of the transom by attaching it to a 13” x 3/8” x 7/32” strip of Sycamore and adjusting 1/8” nuts and bolts positioned at the middle and each end of it.

Edited by Steve20

Very interesting and precise approach to building your own. You’re on the right path, it is critical to get the stern framing accurate. It will pay dividends later, well done!

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

That’s my big concern, Glenn. The stern frame positioning is not so easy and a mistake here will really mess things up later-on.

I find Chucks drawings are excellent, though, both for detail and for accuracy. I verified a lot of measurements to get my badly cut bulkheads and frames correctly positioned, and although these were made from the printed A3 and A4 drawings, when each is properly lined-up, dimensions are always exact to those I check against the A0 drawing.

Edited by Steve20

3 minutes ago, Steve20 said:

dimensions are always exact

It looks from here as though you’re right on track. With your attention to detail I’m sure it will be absolutely fine.  

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

The stern frames are in place and I’m now sanding the transom down to 3/32” at the upper sill top edges as it’s currently about 1/8”. Whilst doing this I’m working on the quarter galleries. I did mange to break the top of the port ‘C’ frame, but I will not repair this until I’ve finished the quarter gallery framing.

20230412_15355425.jpg.90d0865e5fcf46afb81f2d5921110de5.jpg

20230412_15031160.jpg.fd57b6545d2d5b33683bed869e07e432.jpg

I had an error to correct on Bulkheads 27 and 28 as they rake aft because I did not cut the false keel joints properly vertical. These were the first pieces that I’ve cut, so I was trying-out printing to adhesive paper after removing sticky labels, then transferring the image to the plywood using pressure. This method didn’t work well for me as the transferred image was not very clear, so for the bulkheads I switched to pasting paper cut-outs on to ply with a glue stick.

Anyway, I really messed up with the image transfer as I must have let the adhesive paper shift. However, as the fulcrum is near the top of the bulkhead former it only throws the bulkheads back just over 1/16” at deck level and I thought I’d get away with it by compensating with the stern framing placement. Reading ahead to Chapter 4, though, I was reminded about gunport placement so now I’ve shaved the bulkhead down to correct the distance between the last two pairs of gunports.

20230414_16442630.jpg.80d9459d838d274a6b85b0ff6f631898.jpg

Edited by Steve20

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve now moved on to the quarter gallery framing and to make things easier I provided one fixed point for each successive piece to land upon. I started with the forward end of the lower longitudinal by taking the upper side to keel elevation from the A0 drawing and cutting a slot at this height in bulkhead 28 for the longitudinal to set into. I cut the longitudinal a little over length, shaped the after end to fit the stern, and sanded the forward end until the after end dropped to the right elevation.

20230411_17075830.jpg.266109e3616bb1b7176b79bff14ea407.jpg

Edited by Steve20

The upper part of some waist frames were a bit ragged and the height needed to be built up in two or three places, but I decided it would be better to sand them all down to a uniform level and place a 3/64” plank on the top. I now need to sand the top plank down just a little (I’ve left a small plus margin for error) but I’ll leave that until I’m ready to plank this location.

I’ve been sanding the inside and most excess is now removed but I won’t sand any further until the outer planking is laid. However, I do have some fairing to do outside and there are a few places where I still need to add padding - you can see a couple of these in the photograph.

20230429_10234475.jpg.31279c85e452fcc1f387f176d821f746.jpg

Edited by Steve20

There are bow fillers you may want to add, and stern ones as well if you don't have them. the transition from W - U and the third bulkhead need lots of pre-attention in fairing for the planking to lay fair.

Nice that you got some of the internal fairing done now, it's all looking very crisp. Well done.

Regards,

Glenn