Lashing the bowsprit

Ian B

I have got to a point on my HMS Vangaurd where I need to attach the Bow sprit but I cant find how the ropes should go? I cant see anything on the plans I even looked in my 'Rigging period ships' by Len Petersson and he skips over it.. Also any tips on the bindings for the bow sprit and masts?

lashing bowsprit.jpg

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

Here is the gammoning from Mondfeld:

image.png.b5cde83606a4d9c04356753513ef1e86.png

There is a lot of rigging on the bowsprit, so you may have to find some other references.

I will try to dig up some more

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Hi Ian,

E. W. Petraeus describes gammoning the bowsprit in his 1970 book "Modelling the Brig-of-War IRENE"

Attached are a couple of pictures, from that section of the book, might help (hopefully not infringed copyright for these two sample pics!)

20211119_121146.jpg

20211119_121111.jpg

Edited by AJohnson

Petrejus describes the gammoning being laid from aft to forward, the first resting against small cleats on the bowsprit to stop them slipping back.  Every turn being "nippered" (seized) to the proceeding one (probable not need at 1/72nd scale!) At every turn the gammoning crossed itself halfway  down, so it looked "hour-glass" shaped.  Middle tied by horizontal turns (same number as passed around the bowsprit.

Hope that helps?  Hopefully the Vanguard model has a slot for the gammoning below the bowsprit?

Edited by AJohnson

You begin by making a small eye-splice at one end of the gammoning rope. (You will need a much longer length of line that you think!)  The line is then taken over the bowsprit and threaded through its eye so that the line drapes down the port side of the model.

The illustrations above will guide you for the rest of the process.

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

2 hours ago, Ian B said:

Also any tips on the bindings for the bow sprit and masts?

Are you referring to this in your drawing as bindings.

image.png.dbc23bfe60c6bb579a6b34524622d3d6.png

Those are not typical for any bowsprit I have ever seen..  There are bindings on the masts, but you might save those for another topic.

The bowsprit will have numerous other features, such as bobstays, shrouds and foot ropes.

Here is a log  with some bowsprit details.

If your kit does not have the rigging details you would like to include in your build, you would do well to find a good reference on the rigging of a 74..

You may have to combine several sources.   The basics would have been the same for any number of ships over many years..

The Petersson book is pretty good, but it is just the documentation of a model, and may be lacking in any number of areas.

A good source, but somewhat pricey, might be The 74-Gun Ship Bellona (Anatomy of the Ship) ..

Edited by Gregory

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

On 11/19/2021 at 12:28 PM, AJohnson said:

Petrejus describes the gammoning being laid from aft to forward, the first resting against small cleats on the bowsprit to stop them slipping back.  Every turn being "nippered" (seized) to the proceeding one (probable not need at 1/72nd scale!) At every turn the gammoning crossed itself halfway  down, so it looked "hour-glass" shaped.  Middle tied by horizontal turns (same number as passed around the bowsprit.

Hope that helps?  Hopefully the Vanguard model has a slot for the gammoning below the bowsprit?

That would look quite smart--- tempted to do this rather than what I imagined doing a straight around the  sprit and bow..

On 11/19/2021 at 1:25 PM, Gregory said:

Are you referring to this in your drawing as bindings.

image.png.dbc23bfe60c6bb579a6b34524622d3d6.png

Those are not typical for any bowsprit I have ever seen..  There are bindings on the masts, but you might save those for another topic.

The bowsprit will have numerous other features, such as bobstays, shrouds and foot ropes.

Here is a log  with some bowsprit details.

If your kit does not have the rigging details you would like to include in your build, you would do well to find a good reference on the rigging of a 74..

You may have to combine several sources.   The basics would have been the same for any number of ships over many years..

The Petersson book is pretty good, but it is just the documentation of a model, and may be lacking in any number of areas.

A good source, but somewhat pricey, might be The 74-Gun Ship Bellona (Anatomy of the Ship) ..

Thanks, I have just looked through this build--wow lots of good points and things for me to take inspiration from.. :)