Biscayne Bay Sailing Skiff by Reverend Colonel - 1:24 - SMALL - made from a beech log from NG Herreshoff design

Perhaps I didn't actually look to closely at the beginning, I didn't realise that this is a boat with hard chines. In this case the stringers, kind of serving as landing for the next strake make perfect sense.

In fact, there are also carveel building techniques, where the individual strakes are joined by interior stringers. I think this is actually a rather old technique, practiced since antiquity in the Mediterranean. They both, reinforced the construction and ensured watertightness. In the Nordic countries laths were used to hold down the caulking of moss in some types of boats.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

Wefalck!

Yes! To all of your considerations. The three strakes, three on each side rather, creates a shape that appears from many angles to be round. It also makes for a light, strong boat that is relatively inexpensive and easy to build. It should also be a great sailer. 

The “stringers” are called chine logs. 

IMG_0099.thumb.jpeg.c457060f91518ca70f159f5e1f92f4be.jpeg

Stringers (for deck beams to rest on), two deck beams, the watertight bulkhead and the breasthook installed and painted. The mast step is also installed. Note beams on either side of the center board trunk. 

IMG_0115.thumb.jpeg.06055e2f7eef4308c13c3cabe331f21b.jpeg
Sole planks being dry fit. The hole in center plank that allows it lay over the mast step was marked and made by drilling out most of the wood and using small chisels to make it square. 

IMG_0164.thumb.jpeg.8a14e4620629266fa05b2b957cfb8db3.jpeg
Center planks (fore and aft) and the straight planks installed. 

IMG_0181.thumb.jpeg.106427d143575a583d9996ed0dbbad79.jpeg
Dry fitting outboard sole plank. 

IMG_0183.thumb.jpeg.0ef6a388f7fecbd6be4d0d3a96f681b1.jpeg

IMG_0186.thumb.jpeg.999d1276d1fee0095b17aa96108ce450.jpeg
Sole planks installed. I painted the beech wood planks with two washes of mahogany color paint by Vallejo. 

Remaining deck beams, elbows for the side decks, aft deck beams, chain plates up next. 

Have a nice day!

Edited by Reverend Colonel

• 1 month later...

IMG_0297.thumb.jpeg.eb96cf3b3b0f1e20be2038917ad6dad0.jpeg
A few more deck beams added. I got a consistent curve for the beams by drawing a pair of concentric circles with a protractor onto a piece of shirt board. The distance between the circles would be the ~thickness of the beams. 

IMG_0385.thumb.jpeg.50bafcd19e2578f5c37759b23f00e7af.jpeg

I would tape pieces of timber, milled to thickness in the path of the arc - sounds like the eclipse. Put the sharp end of the protractor into the small hole in the center of the circle and draw the pair of concentric circles onto the wood. Rough cut and sand to the line. Or until the line disappears. 

IMG_0383.thumb.jpeg.65972fdd564f4dc4b1f3872a0b00e1d2.jpeg
Here’s the ship yard with RIGEL as the center of attention. You can see the pattern cut for the elbows that will support the side decks.

Not shown are my Proxxon chop saw, table saw and drill press which I picked up second-hand from a man whom used them for doll houses. Also not shown are the big box brand band saw (say that 5 times fast) and drill press. Here’s the “jig saw” a neighbor gave me. It was a tool from a local high school’s wood shop. 
IMG_0386.thumb.jpeg.9e8d2df2d937b2ba934ce4967592bf7b.jpeg

I’ve started using this more and more. I will likely put it to more use when I begin building models at 3/8 scale. 

What follows are a bit of a digression: some images from my recent trip from the Glen Cove area of Long Island to Newport.

First are photos of a New Haven style sharpie that the preservation shipyard at Mystic Seaport has been working on for some time. It was more impressive then I imagined it would be. I always pictured that they would have a daintiness about them, given the drawings I have seen, but this boat is very substantial. 

IMG_0316.thumb.jpeg.c82589f852d7a17a20c62602272184a2.jpeg

IMG_0314.thumb.jpeg.9274f1fb8239bad7f1abf90e6c2cbb72.jpeg

The next images are from the International Yacht Restoration School in Newport. They are of the launch RESOLUTE, designed and built by the Herreshoff firm around 1916. Here’s what Maynard Bray, small craft historian has written about this design. 

Five of these double-cockpit launches were built after they were designed by Nat Herreshoff for possible use by the U.S. Navy during the First World War. (Destroyer Tenders?) Legend has it that because the Herreshoffs wouldn't allow other builders the use of their design, the navy went elsewhere after obtaining only one boat. Two boats that were built to this design by the Herreshoff Manufacturing Company ended up at the Seawanhaka Corinthian Yacht Club on Long Island…”

IMG_0300.thumb.jpeg.93c9ce22ba31f205ba49ac2fd22c6037.jpeg

The boat is the property of the Mystic Seaport but is being restored by IRYS, likely by instructors and volunteers this summer. 

Finally, a few pictures from Building J in the town of Oyster Bay, LI. I was there last week to borrow their Wood Mizer to mill two large, knot free holly trunks that were part of a tree removed from the church property. They are working on a large cabin launch - with quite a sordid history - built in Alabama in the first quarter of the 20th century. The ship saw was recently restored by the some of the few professional shipwrights, and some of the many volunteers, who help in this amazing shop. 

IMG_0347.thumb.jpeg.91d81c62b6ec1ecc44962b0308d85ee3.jpeg
IMG_0357.thumb.jpeg.646c4acda2813467086824212680aa3d.jpeg

Holly planks. Between 1” and 2.5”. Stickered and strapped and ready to go into a kiln this week. 

IMG_0348.thumb.jpeg.2f7849a42ef96f035b02f0536f833a91.jpeg

IMG_0351.thumb.jpeg.43260c5c4ebaccbca7d3b2ffe00b1a8f.jpeg

• The title was changed to Biscayne Bay Sailing Skiff by Reverend Colonel - 1:24 - SMALL - made from a beech log from NG Herreshoff design

Hi Jesse - 

It was a pleasure to meet you earlier today and look at this little gem in person.

I think you made an excellent go of the many issues and problems that you encountered in your first wooden ship model.

Keep up the good work.

You asked about some of my other works, and you can see some of the build logs in my profile, or in the Gallery.

I'm always happy to answer any questions that may come to mind.

Be well

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

16 hours ago, shipmodel said:

Hi Jesse....

Dan, thank you!

And thank you to all of you who are continuing the tradition of model ship building and sharing your experiences on this forum. 

Discovering boats and then boat modeling has been such a joy. Creative, humbling, problem solving, letting go and moving forward. 

I had the chance to visit Dan's shop yesterday to drop off a model for repair. There's too much to share and you all have been following his posts and reading his articles so you know what he's up to. However, I did want to repeat a two sentiments that Dan shared with me that I think are very important...and I am paraphrasing.

"Develop an interest in and an appreciation of art and old handmade things." 

"The best tool a modeler can have is a club."

Not one that you would use to smash your model when you're frustrated (though you may want one of those, too) but one you can join and learn directly from other modelers. 

Until the next post,

Jesse

A lot of wisdom in what Dan said.  For many of us that don't have clubs nearby, MSW is our club.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)