Mast tops (platforms?)

Hi Bill

Are you speaking of the Mary Celeste which was found with her crew missing?   Just as a point of interest there was no actual ship named the Marie Celeste.   

If you search Mary Celeste 1861 there is some information at the Library of Congress, the Smithsonian and maybe other museum/sources.   They have paintings and photographs that may be of help.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

31 minutes ago, allanyed said:

Hi Bill

Are you speaking of the Mary Celeste which was found with her crew missing?   Just as a point of interest there was no actual ship named the Marie Celeste.   

If you search Mary Celeste 1861 there is some information at the Library of Congress, the Smithsonian and maybe other museum/sources.   They have paintings and photographs that may be of help.

Allan

Thanks Allan,

That is the name on the kit boxed instructions.  It is a very old kit from about 45 - 50 or so years ago. I do find a lot of pictures and other information under Marie Celeste searches. It is immaterial to me what the name is, I am pretty much building this kit s I like to some extent. The instructions and plans leave much to desire.  This is a kit may son started years ago when he was pretty much bed ridden. I have always wanted build a ship model but got distracted building horse drawn vehicles in miniature. I amusing this kit to try to learn from. 

Fall down nine times, get up ten.

Bill

The picture of the stock sheet you show is a pretty standard top which you should be able to copy. There are a lot of books on rigging if you can't find what you want for free by search. Rigging: Period Ship Models by Lennarth Petersson shows a similar top and is on Amazon in a kindle version for $11.99 ($36.70 for hardcover). There are a lot of books on rigging so look around, but I believe you could use this one to make the top you show, and it is relatively cheap. It is also a good book for other rigging details in a general fashion but does not go into changes in masting and rigging over time as some of the more voluminous and scholarly works do. Again, look around and see what you feel would be most helpful to you.

Richard

Edited by barkeater
better word

Completed scratch build: The armed brig "Badger" 1777

Current scratch build: The 36 gun frigate "Unite" 1796

Completed kits: Mamoli "Alert", Caldercraft "Sherbourne"

The Mary Celeste was built in 1861 so she would have had tops similar to the clippers etc of the same era such as Cutty Sark here are some pics I could find

360_F_320129725_6T5J3V8rXMIh5AnYgDHv0sJdbIsHrDTo.jpg

19823648.jpg

1280px-Cutty_Sark_rigging_17RM0464.jpg

rigging-shrouds-mainmast-ratlines-junctions.jpg

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

5 hours ago, allanyed said:

Hi Bill

Allan

Actually the ship when launched in 1861 was named Amazon. In 1868 the ship was salvaged and repaired and renamed the Mary Celeste,

From Wikipedia: 

Marie Celeste is not a misspelling of Mary Celeste.* Marie Celeste is the name of a ship in a work of fiction. It is based on a real event involving a ship called Mary Celeste. The author changed the name when writing the story, and the change has caused confusion to the extent that many people believe Marie Celeste to be the name of the real vessel. It's not a misspelling; it's a misunderstanding. 

Thanks for the explanation Bill, much appreciated and added more mystery to the mystery of the  MC.   In researching the model kit I did see that the kit changed the name a well.   Enjoy the project!!!

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Allan,

If you are looking to find a kit of the MC be prepared to find a nearly scratch build kit. Unless the company has made production changes since my kit was produced all parts are just embossed on fairly rough plywood. You will have to hand saw (or scroll saw) each part from the sheets. The instruction/plan sheet is only an isometric drawing of the model with written instructions in several languages. It was a good introduction to using a coping saw for my son but also the reason he gave up building it. 

Bill

Thanks Bill!  Alas I have never built a kit and probably never will.    One of my suppliers gave me the SOS or maybe it was the Soleil Royale many years ago and when I opened it and saw the materials I decided to stay with scratch building.  Wish we had MSW back then to give it to someone here as it wound up in our neighborhood garage sale.   I know there are finally two or maybe three kit designers/makers that do a fine job, but after investing in tools over the years, it would make no sense for me to make the switch.   Thanks again for your post, it is very much appreciated.

Allan