Hello

JGR

Hello, my name is Greg. I have not built a model in over 50 years and at that time it was mainly plastic. I am an hobby cabinet maker, hobby machinist (both manual and CNC machining), and lately beginning to use a 3D printer. 

Now that I am retired I am looking forward to building Wooden Ship Models from 1700 to 1900, particularly the Nelson era ships. I would like to integrate my machining and 3D printing with wooden model ship building and can see interesting opportunities. At present I have a FDM printer and plan to move into 3D Resin Printer.

I look forward to sharing thoughts and ideas with other members. My home is in Ontario Canada but I spend my winters in Florida.

Welcome to MSW, Greg.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Greg and welcome to Model Ship World.  I look forward to seeing your work with the 3-D printer.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Thanks all for the warm welcome. I have decided on the model HMS Badger for my build.

Hi Ryland, I am looking forward to trying out some of my ideas on the FDM printer but the Resin printer will give a better finish and more detail in small items. I do most of my design work in Fusion 360 so the output STL file will work in both just need a different slicer program. I am going to change the nozzle size and adjust other parameters to see what result I get.

Hi Allan. I am in Spring Hill about 30 miles north of Tampa

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Greg and welcome to MSW from the Land Down Under.

You'll find quite a number of 3D printed models and accessories on MSW - it's becoming more and more popular. Mke sure you start a build log when you begin. The best way to get help and advice.

Steven