Dapper Tom Assistance

I acquired a second hand Model Shipways Dapper Tom kit as a starter prior to eventually building an HMS Euryalus. The kit is missing a few items, mainly all of the rigging. In searching the web for replacement I have ran into a small issue. The size/diameter of the line in the kit parts list does not evenly match up with what I can find on line.

1) Is it better to size up or down? For instance: Parts list: Tan Line .012"/.3mm but only .014"/.35mm or .010"/.2mmm is available. 

2) If I have to go bigger, will I have to drill out the holes on the blocks? (I am guessing yes)

3) The building instructions suck when it comes to specific details (must be my military experience and adherence to exact tolerances). What are the diameters of the masts and corresponding holes I need to drill in the hull for the masts and at what angle do I drill them?

Thanks for the help in advance ladies and gentlemen.

Edited by USNCHief013107

In instances like these, it is helpful to think of something called "scale viewing distance." When a model is viewed from a few feet away, it is like looking at the original from a great distance. From such distances, rigging always appears very fine -- more like a spider's web than a macrame pot hanger. So, if your only options are either a bit larger or a bit smaller, I'd go smaller.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Agreed.

Or you might consider making your own scale rope.

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Its been a long time since I built this kit but for most kits you should be able to measure the angles of the masts to the deck or waterline from the plans. As for the sizes I am pretty sure Model Expo includes scale drawings of the masts in the rigging plan. Maybe you are missing those plans? If so, send me a PM and I'll see what I can do, as I still have the plans.

3 hours ago, usedtosail said:

Its been a long time since I built this kit but for most kits you should be able to measure the angles of the masts to the deck or waterline from the plans. As for the sizes I am pretty sure Model Expo includes scale drawings of the masts in the rigging plan. Maybe you are missing those plans? If so, send me a PM and I'll see what I can do, as I still have the plans.

The plans only show the layout but no specifications are indicated. I will break out my calipers and measure the widths of the respective masts and yards and go from there. For a beginner kit, it lacks alot of information but maybe that is just me.

The plans should be to the scale of the model. It is common to take measurements from the plans to transfer to making the model. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

If you decide to look forscale rope to match the ship type and size you might want to look at this thread I started on topsail schooner rigging.

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25679-topsail-schooner-sail-plans-and-rigging/?do=findComment&comment=750865

I have attached a spreadsheet for schooner mast and rigging sizes.

Mast spar and rigging calculations.xlsx