King of the Mississippi by Cleat - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:80

12 hours ago, Cleat said:

I found it difficult to work the rigging while the mast and gangway moved around.  Parts of the routing didn’t make sense; I wasn’t sure where some lines ended.

ALs rigging diagram is a bit confusing, took a while using the big picture and the photo manual.

12 hours ago, Cleat said:

adjusted the lines to get the gangway to the proper height but between sorting out the spaghetti of lines and taking up slack it had moved.

I opted to be awkward and installed 2 of the things! 1 up and 1 lowered, the height can be a personal choice. whatever looks good to you.

Bob

Current build Cutty Sark, Mini Mamoli

Finished  King of the Mississippi                     

No trees were harmed by this message, but an awful lot of electrons were put out.

I am proud to finish my King of the Mississippi riverboat.  A picture, a parts list, and minimal instruction required me to figure out how to do things I haven’t done before – problem solving is a good thing.  I want to thank the others who made build logs and those who answered my questions in this log.  I repeatedly referenced other build logs.  I learned a lot and want to try another kit next fall.

The build was a challenge for me, I enjoyed most of it but there was frustration (there was some a lot of swearing).  When I built the spiral staircase, I knew I could overcome anything in the build.  It felt good when I figured out how to complete a task (a few beers might have helped with the problem solving and feeling good).

I’ll build a stand for it when my garage becomes available.  Now I’m wondering how to deal with dust, the riverboat is moving into its dust collection era; I might look into a Plexiglass container but that isn’t a priority.

riverboat-461.jpg

riverboat-436.jpg

riverboat-438.jpg

Completed Build:   King of the Mississippi by Cleat

A couple favorite tools included Rockler’s silicone micro glue applicators and the Gluelooper CA glue applicator.  I haven’t mastered tweezers yet but I got a lot of practice.  I used Minwax Wipe-On Ploy on all of the wood, the number of coats depended on how much shine I wanted on the piece.  I had built a small tools chest a few years ago (my best woodworking project).    Here are a few more pictures:

riverboat-458.jpg

riverboat-465.jpg

riverboat-467.jpg

riverboat-463.jpg

Sorry for the slow response, I'm catching up on MSW after a busy stretch. You've done such a nice job with this kit, I hope you enjoy displaying it for many years to come. Thanks for sharing the journey with us!

Very nicely done sir:  may I suggest that you make a display case for it soon. I had my Mayflower on the self for 10 months and was surprised by the amount of dust on it, and how long it took me to clean it lol. 

Amazing work, looking forward to starting mine  and following your next build.

Bob M.      :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,

The Mayflower-Amati-1:60

Current Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom, Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Posted (edited)

I looked at the dust on my first boat kit (dust collector) and decided to look into cutting plexiglass, I'll have to get some and try cutting it.  I'll be using a dry cleaning bag to cover my riverboat until my garage becomes warm enough to see how plexiglass works.

I'm checking out build logs for the Bluenose kit (or something similar) and cross-section kits for my next project. 

Edited by Cleat

A swell job, for sure ... nicely done & deserving of a case !

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

• 2 weeks later...