Which Albatros kit to pick?

Peanut6

I've been looking towards my next build, even though I haven't finished my Jolly Boat.  The Boss asked me to pick out a kit for the future.  I asked her what types of ships she liked.  She said she likes the ones with all the sails, masts and rigging.  With that in mind and my skill level, or lack there of, I believe I'm seriously looking at the Albatros.  I've looked thru many a build log and really do like the looks of her.  My problem is I just don't know which kit to get.  I find the Occre at 1:100 scale,

the Constructo at 1:55 scale and the Mantua at 1:40 scale.  I think the larger scale would be better for me as I hope the rigging would/could be easier than the others.  But my primary concern is a kit with quality materials and instructions than can be followed with having to be related to Sherlock Holmes.  So I turn to you sagious shipwrights for you input, suggestions and guidance.  Thank you in advance.

kev

Edited by Peanut6
content

Take care and be safe.

kev

Current Build:  HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat - Artesania Latina

On the shelf:  Oseberg #518 - Billing Boats

A few questions:

• Are you looking for a Baltimore clipper in particular, or just any ol' topmast schooner? The OcCre kit is not a Baltimore clipper; the other two are.
  • Have you got a budget?
  • Do you want a historically accurate model (or at least reasonably so)?

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

As far as I can tell there is no record of a schooner named "Albatros" so whatever kit you get will probably not be an accurate representation of a real ship.

If you want a kit with no guesswork, get a plastic model. Some model companies are creating very good documentation,  but this is the exception and not typical of most models. Get the instructions on line if you can and see what you are getting into.

I am building the 1980s version of the Mantua Albatros "Goleta typica de Baltimora." The plans are pretty good, but not exceptionally detailed, and parts of the rigging are hard to follow. But the instructions are one page and say "put the parts together." It does appear to be a fairly good representation of a topsail schooner like a Baltimore clipper. Looking through Chapelle's "The Baltimore Clipper" the deck plan of the kit is very similar to several actual vessels. The fittings seem to be just whatever they had on hand that was close to the right scale.

There is a newer version of the Mantua kit and at least one build log on the Forum.

Chris, in response to your questions, historical accuracy is not a concern at all.  My knowledge base, and anyone who would see this model, wouldn't know a historical inaccuracy to save our life.  I just really like the look of the Albatros and believe it, or something similar, would be a good "next step up" from my Jolly Boat.  Not to complex but the new features would enable me to learn new skills without being overwhelmed.  The budget it a gray window so to speak.  This family has been known to pool individual resources in order to present a single gift from everyone if you know what I mean.

Phil, in response to your comments, a plastic model is out of the question.  I'm committed to wooden ships and have been slowly building up my tool collection, with the help of gifts from the family.  No major purchases, rather the little things that can add up quickly.  I don't need a "Betty Crocker" ultradetailed set of instructions but do need more than just a clue of what to do.  I looked thru your build log, very impressisve I must say.

With that being said, I'm open to suggestions of a different kit of similar appearance (the Boss really likes the look as much as I).  My main concern is quality materials and decient instructions without regard to historical accuracy or 100% conformity to fitting scale accuracy.  If the instructions are a bit vague or incomplete in some areas I always have you folks to ask questions and get help.

Take care and be safe.

kev

Hey Peanut,

I just went through the same decision with my Rattlesnake. I agree with you, at this time in our building life, things like kit completeness, quality of material in the kit and instructions are way important! I received good answers from many folks that had their reasons for picking the kits they did. My .02 for you is research each kit to the best of your ability, and look at ALL the build logs and see what builders had to say about the kit they built. I had the same questions about size of the scale you brought up. I personally would be looking at the 2 larger scales. 👍

Edited by Dave_E

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

Dave, went back and read your Rattlesnake post.  You got much more mileage than I've recieved.  Went back again looking for build logs of the Albatros in any/all of the kits listed and didn't see many comments regarding my concerns.  I also tried to get some information by looking at the questionair post regarding best kits.  Interesting info but not an "aha moment" for me.  I really liked the aft deck of the Occre kit priced at $110 US but the 1:100 scale counts that one out.  The Mantua kit at 1:40 scale was the most expensive priced at $159 US but the sails needed to be purchased separately at $40 US.  This posed many questions/concerns regarding attaching the sails, not thinking the kit instructions would include anything addressing the sails as they don't come with the kit.  The "sail kit" is actually a collection of sails for multiple ships of same or similar design.  So then I'm wondering if any instructions would be included, and if so how detailed they could be to cover a number of ships.  The sails of the Albatros is definately a step up from my Jolly Boat so I want to be taking baby steps in that discipline.  So that counts Mantua out.  That leaves the Constructo kit at 1:55 scale and priced at $142 US.  There was one build log that had the plans/instrucions visible in the back ground and from what I saw they appeard to be pretty good, based upon my limited experience of course.

As I said earlier, I'm very open to another model of similar appearance and have zero regard to historical accuracy.  So please feel free to offer suggestions for alternative consideration.

kev   

Take care and be safe.

kev

Kev, no matter which way you decide, don't be put off by whether sails are included or not. Sails are not difficult to make yourself, so it is far more important that at least a good sail plan is included.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

What kind of budget do you have?

The Master Korabel  'Avos' at Crafty Sailor,  is a nice kit with very good instructions  a very builder friendly design and you will get free shipping at that price point.

MSW member and sponsor @etsinko who is the owner of the store has a nice build log where he shows how he did a nice job on the sails.  The information could be very useful if you decide to go with another kit.

@Peta_V also has a very good build log.

Just another option for you.

PS

Here is a great sail making tutorial that you could adapt to any project.

Edited by Gregory

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Gregory,

I checked out the Tender AVOS build log, very impressive kit and hats off to Peta for a great build.  Thank you for the suggestion, one for consideration.  The sail making tutorial is fantast, thank you so much for that link.

kev

Take care and be safe.

kev